Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 02:07 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Seems to you the nation was humming along in unison when Biden took office?

ok

Trump had the economy going in the right direction until this little thing called a pandemic came along. What has Biden accomplished? More COVID deaths than Trump even with vaccines. Massive inflation and skyrocketing gas prices. Biden has also divided the nation more than any president in memory.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:08 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Did you even listen? He's saying his GOAL is to unite us.

His goal is achieve for America "the most illusive of all things in a democracy: Unity".

Go back and listen again, if you missed the entire point of that segment - we are terribly divided and need to unite.

Biden hasn't given us disunity - it was dumped into his lap when he took office.

Biden has done everything he can to DIVIDE!

Old 06-12-2022, 02:46 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
and that still didn't answer any my question.

how about let me break it down for you, ok? You appear not very bright

let's say you are a family of 3 (husband, wife, 2 kids) and with a household income of 67K in Los Angeles. You have 15 miles one-way commute. You live in a 2-bedroom apartment 15 miles away from work because you can't afford to live closer to work.
https://www.city-data.com/income/inc...alifornia.html

so, how are you going to afford to buy 2 e-cars for $60K each with a household income of 67K?

and let's say for some magical reason you are able to afford to buy 2 e-cars, where are you going to charge 2 cars at night in your apartment complex?
Nobody is telling you or forcing you (or your hypothetical family in LA) to buy e-cars now or anytime soon. I don't see what is upsetting you. Prices will eventually come down to an equilibrium with ICE cars.

And thanks for the "not very bright" comment. That was very classy of you.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:57 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Nobody is telling you or forcing you (or your hypothetical family in LA) to buy e-cars now or anytime soon. I don't see what is upsetting you. Prices will eventually come down to an equilibrium with ICE cars.

Didn't you say people should start buying e-cars BEFORE more charging stations become available?

Old 06-12-2022, 02:58 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

I don't get why certain populations are upset over the idea of a change of car standards. These things have happened before and we have survived. The year which had electric cars at its highest proportion of cars sold was 1904 at about 25%. Long term a lot of the issues will be resolved. The fact remains fossil fuels are a limited resource and we need to find a replacement for them. It's better to be proactive than wait until it's too late

I don't believe we should be like Europe and have a flat year to ban ice vehicles. If the market is not ready for the transition, you can really *********r economy. The transition will be gradual and most won't be adversely effected.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:02 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Didn't you say people should start buying e-cars BEFORE more charging stations become available?
I said the early purchasers of e-cars would buy them before charging stations were available everywhere... because infrastructure takes time to build.

I never said a person should buy a car they cannot afford. YOU are the one who brought that up.

Again, nobody is forcing anybody to buy an e-car.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:14 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
OP: "I honestly don't think Americans care about high gas prices"

You are 1/2 correct.

1/2 of Americans are affluent enough that $5/gal doesn't matter, so they don't care that much.

The other 1/2 cares a lot. They live paycheck to paycheck, & the extra $50/week they are paying for gas hits them hard.
I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but because I drive all day, this is what has happened:

Originally, the price per gallon was $1.75. It cost me about $15 to fill my tank.

Now? It's $4.79 per gallon. It now costs me about $43 to fill my tank.

Because I drive all day, it means I gas up every day.

It used to cost me $375 to fill my tank (assuming I drive 25 days out of 30 - which I usually do.)

Now? Now it costs me $1075!

Do lefties not think I care? What about all the other drivers out there? You want your crap dropped off at your door - well, someone has to drive to your house to plop it on that porch. You think those people are making 100k a year, lefties? You think they can afford an electric vehicle? Most of them drive around in beaters. You think some of them might be the very ones you all pretend to care about?

This is what you're doing to them. You're not just screwing over those hayseed Republicans, you're screwing over the very people that you patronize, daily, trying to get their votes. You're screwing them over in a major way.

You think they don't care?

You think they won't remember this on election day?

I guarantee you that they will.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:34 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but because I drive all day, this is what has happened:

Originally, the price per gallon was $1.75. It cost me about $15 to fill my tank.

Now? It's $4.79 per gallon. It now costs me about $43 to fill my tank.

Because I drive all day, it means I gas up every day.

It used to cost me $375 to fill my tank (assuming I drive 25 days out of 30 - which I usually do.)

Now? Now it costs me $1075!

Do lefties not think I care? What about all the other drivers out there? You want your crap dropped off at your door - well, someone has to drive to your house to plop it on that porch. You think those people are making 100k a year, lefties? You think they can afford an electric vehicle? Most of them drive around in beaters. You think some of them might be the very ones you all pretend to care about?

This is what you're doing to them. You're not just screwing over those hayseed Republicans, you're screwing over the very people that you patronize, daily, trying to get their votes. You're screwing them over in a major way.

You think they don't care?

You think they won't remember this on election day?

I guarantee you that they will.
Won't matter as votes will be rigged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies