Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 06:44 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times

Advertisements

Well, if they were captured by Russian forces, in a theater of combat operations, AND are not documented AND not uniformed or bearing Ukrainian military markings on their clothing to identify them as combative, they are basically screwed, by international laws of ground combat, A/K/A, the Geneva Convention.

It gets muddy if they were living in the Ukrainian BEFORE the war and married to a Ukrainian woman, the argument could be made that they are citizens by marriage or legal permanent residents of the Ukraine, which could allow them to be considered members of the Ukrainian unorganized militia.

I doubt that they were sworn in by the Ukrainian government and issues Ukrainian military ID cards with their Geneva POW category number, Cat. 1: All Soldiers under the rank of Sergeant, Cat.2: Sergeants and all Non-Commission Officer, Cat.3: Commissioned Officers under the rank of Major and so on. Also, the unorganized militia is also protected under the Geneva Convention.

Western volunteers need to understand that the Russians do not adhere as closely to the Geneva Convention as the United States or the United Kingdom and need to take this into consideration. Being a retired U.S. Army Senior NCO and been in combat, more than once, people, especially nonmilitary veterans need to understand that this isn’t a video game since bullets kill and war fighting can get real ugly.

I doubt that the Russians will execute these two British citizens and a Moroccan citizen, I bet that their sentences will be commuted to a prison sentence AND at some point, be part of a prisoner exchange…. I’m sure the Russians will demand 10-20 or more Russian prisoners or at least a Field Grade Officer for each Foreign prisoner or have the Ukrainians do a swap for the Russians they convicted of war crimes in their courts.

Killing two British prisoners wouldn’t gain the Russians and favors with the British government or people once this war is over AND every military professional knows that the United States AND the United Kingdom are tied to the hips with each other. We wouldn’t go to war over this, but would do more covert activity against the Russians and the Russians know this too.

Last edited by bergun; 06-16-2022 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 06:49 AM

27,136 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
I want some evidence, where is the evidence they were enlisted in the Ukrainian army in 2018 and why the hell would they be? Only an idiot would believe that story without proof. The Ukrainian army probably paid no more than 200-500euros a month. Why would a Briton enlist in it back in 2018?

Show some evidence, i.e cached internet pages from before 2022, showing Aiden in Ukraine, in the military.

I'm rooting for your dog to be put down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by United Nations

“OHCHR is concerned about the so-called Supreme Court of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic sentencing three servicemen to death,” said Ms. Shamdasani. “According to the chief command of Ukraine, all the men were part of the Ukrainian armed forces and if that is the case, they should not be considered as mercenaries.”

Death sentence for Ukraine foreign fighters is a war crime: UN rights office - United Nations

Old 06-16-2022, 06:58 AM

27,136 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Well, if they were captured by Russian forces, in a theater of combat operations, AND are not documented AND not uniformed or bearing Ukrainian military markings on their clothing to identify them as combative, they are basically screwed, by international laws of ground combat, A/K/A, the Geneva Convention.

It gets muddy if they were living in the Ukrainian BEFORE the war and married to a Ukrainian woman, the argument could be made that they are citizens by marriage or legal permanent residents of the Ukraine, which could allow them to be considered members of the Ukrainian unorganized militia.

I doubt that they were sworn in by the Ukrainian government and issues Ukrainian military ID cards with their Geneva POW category number, Cat. 1: All Soldiers under the rank of Sergeant, Cat.2: Sergeants and all Non-Commission Officer, Cat.3: Commissioned Officers under the rank of Major and so on. Also, the unorganized militia is also protected under the Geneva Convention.

Western volunteers need to understand that the Russians do not adhere as closely to the Geneva Convention as the United States or the United Kingdom and need to take this into consideration. Being a retired U.S. Army Senior NCO and been in combat, more than once, people, especially nonmilitary veterans need to understand that this isn’t a video game since bullets kill and war fighting can get real ugly.

I doubt that the Russians will execute these two British citizens and a Moroccan citizen, I bet that their sentences will be commuted to a prison sentence AND at some point, be part of a prisoner exchange…. I’m sure the Russians will demand 10-20 or more Russian prisoners or at least a Field Grade Officer for each Foreign prisoner or have the Ukrainians do a swap for the Russians they convicted of war crimes in their courts.

Killing two British prisoners wouldn’t gain the Russians and favors with the British government or people once this war is over AND every military professional knows that the United States AND the United Kingdom are tied to the hips with each other. We wouldn’t go to war over this, but would do more covert activity against the Russians and the Russians know this too.
The evidence is already being gathered in relation to possible war crimes and this will be submitted to the International Courts at the Hague.

As for the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic Court, it's not recognised by the West and has no powers to pass such sentences and therefore is breaking international law to start with.

There is now to be an appeal.

I do suspect you are right and the sentence will be reduced to a prison sentence, and then a possible exchange in relation to prisoners.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Your arguments are odd.
It has nothing to do with Russia, it is not a Russian court, so Russia does not care what the Donbass republics decide. Those republics have their own laws...

If you don't like that, may I remind you that the West created that problem when it decided to attack Yugoslavia and split the Kosovo from Yugoslavia, under the pretext of supposed genocide and ethnic cleansing, for which there was no evidence, though. It was just another example of abusing human rights as a pretext for aggression.

I suggest you read the pros and cons of ignoring the UN security council when attacking other countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo...ion_to_the_war

To legitimize the war of aggression against Yugoslavia in hindsight, the West asked the International Court of Justice for its verdict on whether self-declared independence violated international law, and that court decided that a region can decide to split from a country, ignoring the laws and will of that country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adviso...f_independence

That was like opening a Pandora's box, which most people are not aware of, yet. What's ok for the Kosovo, is also ok for the Donbass, Crimea, Scotland, etc. etc. etc.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:25 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Ukraine will send the highest-ranked Russian POWs to the UK and USA. If Russia executes the foreign prisoners, their countries will execute twice as many Russian prisoners. Tit-for-tat baby.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:27 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
More Russian War Crimes...when is the world going take this Thug Putin out?

Time to turn Russia into glass if you ask me.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Insignia left at the place where two US soldiers vanished.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:40 PM

Again, the republics in the Donbass are as independent as Kosovo is from Serbia. The republics have their own laws, judicial system etc.

Unlike the US, Russia has basically abolished the death penalty, nobody got executed there in decades, regardless of the type of crime they committed.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:43 PM

When someone goes to another country in order to kill people there, they have to be prepared for death. So, I have no compassion for such scum...

Old 07-19-2022, 01:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies