Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 05:35 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,416,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Wind turbines don't freeze if they have cold weather packages, which Texas was too cheap to install. Wind Turbines are common in the Arctic.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-wind-...arctic-1570173

The grid will grow and improve as needed to accommodate the increase in EVs on the road. Engineers are currently working on batteries made from plastic which will have indefinite lifespans. If we grow hemp, we can make the plastic from the hemp oil and use the fiber to make automobile bodies that are stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum, which will increase both the safety and range of EVs. .

This is not a new idea. Henry Ford built a car from hemp in 1941 that ran on hemp oil.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...vs-183297.html

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...green/1384733/
"that when some "active" anti-icing systems are installed, they can fail when weather conditions knock out existing power supplies because they rely on the grid to work in the first place."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 05:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,675,786 times
The best solution is what I already own, a PHEV (Chevy Volt). I get about 55 miles of pure electric range, which is perfectly adequate for my local errands, and then I can use gas if I have a longer trip planned. In my car the engine runs maybe about once a week when I go out of town. No need to ever use a public charger.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:57 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,756,604 times
I just viewed a video on charging stations and you got to be kidding me with all the problematic things which may come up:

1. Charging station might not have the right plug to fit your car, so you need an adapter.

2. Whoever installed the charger controls the cost of the electricity.

3. Whoever installed the charger controls the usage hours.

3. A cell phone is needed to pay for the electricity via an app.

4. If you have a payment app to be used with the charging station's app, the payment might not go through.

5. It takes too long to charge.

I'm unfamiliar with EV use and was trying to learn about it, so feel free to add to this list if I left anything out.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:42 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,972,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The best solution is what I already own, a PHEV (Chevy Volt). I get about 55 miles of pure electric range, which is perfectly adequate for my local errands, and then I can use gas if I have a longer trip planned. In my car the engine runs maybe about once a week when I go out of town. No need to ever use a public charger.
But even then, how much are you really saving with the initial purchase price of the vehicle, the anticipated replacement of the battery, the added complexities and maintenance, etc?

There's a reason the Volt didn't make GM any money and they discontinued it.

PLUS, it doesn't satisfy the dream of the environMENTALISTs. The whole idea is to "get rid of gas stations" and stop using that disgusting fossil fuel. Hybrids will never help accomplish that mission.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:07 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"that when some "active" anti-icing systems are installed, they can fail when weather conditions knock out existing power supplies because they rely on the grid to work in the first place."
In the case of Texas, since they were running on a self-contained grid, they were not able to borrow any electricity from their neighbors when the grid failed. Their "self sufficiency" and desire to avoid any sort of federal regulation cost Texas citizens their lives.

This highlights one of the main drawbacks to considering seceding from the Union.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan of Electric Cars Takes One on Road Trip, Ends Up Exposing How Bad They Are - Now She Won't Buy One-iexhtqiscgqielj_neykbdabsjqe6dnrm_obioekuwq.jpg  

Old 06-15-2022, 08:14 AM

2,339 posts, read 969,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
The American people may not be stupid, but they are willing to believe anything that fits their narrative without the slightest hesitation.

A few points struck me as off while reading and sure enough, a little digging proved them out enough for me to dismiss this entire 'article' as BS and bad journalism.

Disclaimer, I live in the DMV and have researched PHEVs extensively for the last year or so. (hybrid gas/ev cars). So here goes, the two most glaring issues/falsehoods:

She couldn't find a level 3 charger in Arlington, VA? Yeah, right. There are a quite a few dedicated car charging stations all over the DMV and yes in Arlington. There are even stations run by different companies. Don't believe me? Google level 3 charging stations DMV. Of course, that begs the question why she wasn't simply using a charging station app? They tell you exactly where real charging stations are, instead of having to rely on google maps and parking lot chargers.

Level 3 fast chargers give you 100 miles in 30 minutes, not the hour claimed and roughly 150 miles with an hour of charging.

If she's driving an EV, her parent's car or not, it's on her to do enough basic research to know the dos and don't - as with anything. Point being, the range of an EV always drops in cold weather. Batteries do not like cold weather no matter what type of battery it is.

Lastly, the final problem in her trip makes me wonder if she's not old enough, experienced enough or bright enough to own any kind of car - for the safety of the rest of us. According to the article and her account, she was about 30 miles from home when the low battery warning popped up. She chose to ignore and go on, to her NJ home, because she had an estimated 70 miles left on the battery.

Even if she'd been in a gas vehicle, anyone who lives in the area and travels the I95 corridor from VA to NYC should freaking know better. I wouldn't run a gas vehicle that low in December because you can go from smooth running to a traffic jam where you don't move for hours in a blink. Where, of course, you are going to then run out of gas.

The problem is that there are a lot of stupid people out there who are expecting EVs to work very similarly to gas vehicles. They don't understand what they were getting into and don't do proper research.
Anyone buying an EV should understand the compromises they are making when buying an EV.

Cross country trips are not going to be as seamless.
EVs excel for people with L2 chargers at home for daily commutes.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:19 AM

34,251 posts, read 18,616,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I think electric vehicles will eventually come close to what gas does, but it will be a little while still.
The thought of electric doesn't bother me. Avoiding gas stations and the whims of the oil market sounds intriguing. My electric rates have largely held steady for a few years now.
The use of fossil fuels isn't a deeply held religious belief in this household.
But, electric cars aren't going to save the planet any more than a 60's muscle car will. That's the part they gloss over.
If political environmentalists were serious, they'd be doing nothing but walking everywhere, growing their own food, living without... gasp... electricity. Truly, it's all just a political mind game. Just another way to sow division, or at least to make some people think they're doing something beneficial with their life.
Most petroleum goes to the manufacturer of plastics not energy. However, most electricity is generated by fossil fuels so electric rates are tied to the energy markets. Oil companies don't set the prices. Markets and futures markets do.

Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere and Electric Vehicles are a dead end.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:26 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,212,117 times
Personally, I believe Hybrid vehicles are currently a much better choice than “fully electric card” for a variety of reasons at this point in time.

Hybrids have been around for more than 20 years in this country, they have proven to be reliable and serve as a better intermediate option until electric vehicles and the electrical infrastructure is in place to support fully electric vehicles!

Old 06-15-2022, 08:30 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,212,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Obviously you have both bases covered and have realized those two options were the best❗️

Old 06-15-2022, 08:36 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Most petroleum goes to the manufacturer of plastics not energy. However, most electricity is generated by fossil fuels so electric rates are tied to the energy markets. Oil companies don't set the prices. Markets and futures markets do.

Fossil fuels aren't going anywhere and Electric Vehicles are a dead end.
I'm looking forward to the day we switch over and get oil and create plastics and building materials mostly from hemp. By that time plastic batteries that never wear out should be a reality as well, and as a bonus every farmer will be able to make money growing the hemp, just like they did when growing it was required.

The first such mandate was in 1619, when King James I required every property owner in Jamestown to grow 100 plants of hemp for export. It was used to make rope and sails, and as such was a national security issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies