Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 07:40 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This article doesn't seem to be an indictment of EVs, but more so of charging stations, that are either too few or not operational. So let's fix that problem.
Private industry was doing a fine job of that-until the Biden admin got in the way. Now everyone is holding off on spending money on DC fast chargers (well, except Tesla) until they can figure out how to get taxpayer-funded welfare. Government needs to get out of the way and let private industry do what they do so well. We didn't use taxpayer dollars to fund the construction of gas stations, don't need to for chargers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 07:49 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
So how many cars do we need now? I guess you need to figure that into your price comparison.
Having numerious cars is expensive. Registration renewal, smog check, insurance, mantenance.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:57 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Commies have nothing to do with this conversation whatsoever.

For the nearly 15 years I have been on this board, people have been screaming about the price of gas and energy independence. The automobile manufacturers have all responded by gearing up to build electric vehicles, and the power grid is being expanded. Once the changeover happens, over the next fifteen to twenty-five years, the United States will be entirely free of any sort of foreign entanglement required to bow and scrape for oil. I'm sure they will all rise to the occasion and find something new to complain about when that happens.

Immediately, you may be correct about semis, but plans are in the works for those also. I heard a couple of days ago that there is a lot of research into batteries that can be made from plastic. You can make plastic from a lot of things. Hemp will be the most likely choice, because of the rate of growth and the amount of oil it produces. Every part of the hemp plant is usable. As a matter of fact, Henry Ford built an automobile with a hemp body in 1941 that ran on hemp oil. Plastic batteries will be lighter and infinitely renewable.

Don't make the mistake of believing technology is not changing to meet the needs of the future.

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...green/1384733/

https://nypost.com/2016/05/06/this-c...cannabis-hemp/

Your statement above in bold is patently untrue.

It is not consumer demand pushing for electric vehicles, but government FORCE. The switch is because government is holding a gun to their head and banning gasoline powered cars. Several US states have passed or will pass laws banning the sale of new gasoline powered cars by 2035 at the latest.

So the scramble by car manufacturers to produce BEVs is because at least 30% of the people in America will be FORCED by their state governments to buy one after 2035, and car makers will lose those markets entirely. I mean, California alone is 10% of the US auto market.

It is NOT market demand but government FORCE driving BEV production.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 06-12-2022 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-12-2022, 08:07 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
True about the range but that didn't stop them from selling out. Most people with trucks down tow. I have a 2021 F150. I towed a uHaul trailer a few times to the dump. I can't wait to get my hands on a Lightning.

Well, if you are using your truck like a car, why not just buy a car?

Old 06-12-2022, 08:52 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I only need and want 1 vehicle. I don't need 2 vehicles nor am I willing to pay to have more than 1 vehicle.

My hope is my current hybrid vehicle will easily last another decade, since it's very low mileage and I am its only owner. TCO (total cost of ownership) is low, which is an important factor.

I love technology, but not all technology fits my needs. The good thing is the tech evolves and grows.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:59 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
So how many cars do we need now? I guess you need to figure that into your price comparison.
Depends on how you drive. I have friends in NYC who take public transportation in the city and rent a car if they want to drive somewhere.

The Chevy Bolt is specifically designed for short hops, just like the Yugo and the Chevette and the Honda Civic. You could certainly take them on road trips, but they were not comfortable at all (voice of experience). If you need to do a lot of 400+ mile trips, you need a different EV.

I rented cars and vans to travel when I was still driving a Toyota Corolla, and if I was going cross country I flew and rented a compact car on the other end.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
As always, the solution is "do with less".
If you want more, it is available for a fee. Just like the rest of life. If you want more, earn more.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You can't just compare the price without mentioning the capabilities if you want to be honest.
I never meant to deal in specifics. $35-55,000 is the price range for most popular new Auto models, ICEs and EVs alike.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:02 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This article is quite lengthy, and dwarfs the size of this excerpt.

It also completely eviscerates any notion that this Nation is ready for "EVs".

Just a Leftist/Commie fantasy, promulgated to promote the Green New Deal fever dream and enrich government cronies who are heavily invested in this nonsense.

https://www.westernjournal.com/fan-e...-wont-buy-one/

Fortunately, the American people are not stupid:

Poll: More Than Half Say Biden Intentionally Letting Gas Prices Soar

https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/po...10/id/1073852/

The future is advanced, safer Nuclear Power.

This garbage will go the way of the do do in a few more years.
You need to buy a NEW electric car, not drive around in a four year old electric car. That's what ya need to do, spend $40,000 - $50,000 on a NEW electric car every four years.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
The difference is model T's made sense. They were an improvement. EV's don't have that attraction yet. when they do, great. In the mean time, don't lie about how awesome they are.
I've driven a Tesla. I can't afford one now, but when the prices drop I will.

As a side note, when the Model T was first built, the selling price was $850.

Henry Ford invented the assembly line, and 17 years later the price was below $300. It can and will happen again, just like it did with pocket calculators and computers.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/Model-T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies