Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 08:50 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I think electric vehicles will eventually come close to what gas does, but it will be a little while still.
The thought of electric doesn't bother me. Avoiding gas stations and the whims of the oil market sounds intriguing. My electric rates have largely held steady for a few years now.
The use of fossil fuels isn't a deeply held religious belief in this household.
But, electric cars aren't going to save the planet any more than a 60's muscle car will. That's the part they gloss over.
If political environmentalists were serious, they'd be doing nothing but walking everywhere, growing their own food, living without... gasp... electricity. Truly, it's all just a political mind game. Just another way to sow division, or at least to make some people think they're doing something beneficial with their life.
The left trying to rush ahead with EVs using today's technology and it's need for precious rare earth metals, should concern everyone. If we rush ahead as the left demands we do, Then we'd deplete the world's rare earth metals, and make those green politicians powerful and the green corporations filthy rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 08:56 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
In the case of Texas, since they were running on a self-contained grid, they were not able to borrow any electricity from their neighbors when the grid failed. Their "self sufficiency" and desire to avoid any sort of federal regulation cost Texas citizens their lives.

This highlights one of the main drawbacks to considering seceding from the Union.
No, it highlights the folly of relying too heavily on green energy to provide our electricity.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
No, it highlights the folly of relying too heavily on green energy to provide our electricity.
I'd argue that it highlights the broader issue, and that is that while folks are arguing this tech vs that tech, _any_ tech will fail given the pure ineptitude of the people who are responsible for designing/maintaining/execution of said tech. While we have politicians who have not vested interest in solving problems, companies that have little to no oversight and fewer repercussions, and employees who have no motivation to excel and are more worried about not misgendering their coworkers, it doesn't matter what the tech is, in the end the public gets the shaft.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:11 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Personally, I believe Hybrid vehicles are currently a much better choice than “fully electric card” for a variety of reasons at this point in time.

Hybrids have been around for more than 20 years in this country, they have proven to be reliable and serve as a better intermediate option until electric vehicles and the electrical infrastructure is in place to support fully electric vehicles!
And they've also proven to be massively rejected by the American buying public in over 25 years (the Toyota Prius came out in 1997).

Old 06-15-2022, 11:44 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Personally, I believe Hybrid vehicles are currently a much better choice than “fully electric card” for a variety of reasons at this point in time.

Hybrids have been around for more than 20 years in this country, they have proven to be reliable and serve as a better intermediate option until electric vehicles and the electrical infrastructure is in place to support fully electric vehicles!
Agreed, but the Green at ALL COST religious zealots hate all Fossil Fuels, so even they, as efficient as they are, aren't acceptable. It's silly, because they're a great alternative.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:47 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This article is quite lengthy, and dwarfs the size of this excerpt.

It also completely eviscerates any notion that this Nation is ready for "EVs".

Just a Leftist/Commie fantasy, promulgated to promote the Green New Deal fever dream and enrich government cronies who are heavily invested in this nonsense.

https://www.westernjournal.com/fan-e...-wont-buy-one/

Fortunately, the American people are not stupid:

Poll: More Than Half Say Biden Intentionally Letting Gas Prices Soar

https://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/po...10/id/1073852/

The future is advanced, safer Nuclear Power.

This garbage will go the way of the do do in a few more years.
I predict that you will eventually buy an EV. You're welcome.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:50 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I predict that you will eventually buy an EV. You're welcome.
He may be forced to and thus his travel and freedom will be severely limited. This is the world Democrats want for us.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:12 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He may be forced to and thus his travel and freedom will be severely limited. This is the world Democrats want for us.
Wrong. You can still drive your horse and buggy, not one is stopping you.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:19 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Agreed, but the Green at ALL COST religious zealots hate all Fossil Fuels, so even they, as efficient as they are, aren't acceptable. It's silly, because they're a great alternative.
And the irony is that almost all of the raw materials for batteries and so called “Green” components come from third world countries and or our adversaries like “China” but the ones pushing for green never mentioned that or have thought of or discussed how the waste get taken care of. They have no clue

Old 06-15-2022, 12:28 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
And they've also proven to be massively rejected by the American buying public in over 25 years (the Toyota Prius came out in 1997).
They’ve certainly gained popularity in the last couple of years since there are a bunch of Hybrid SUV’s, full size cars and luxury vehicles that are now available for those who need something larger than a Prius.

Toyota claims that by 2025 all of their vehicle models will be Hybrid. They also have Prime Hybrids that are plug in and can travel for 50 miles or so before I the ICE kicks on. I would have bought one of those but the availability not there since they get bought up and ordered immediately. They are in big demand and one would have been perfect for the wife and I if I could have found one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies