Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 07:25 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…It’s obvious few ever took an economics class, and certainly obvious these same folks didn’t pay attention in history class. Hopefully those that voted for this clown show are suffering the most.

You want a history lesson? In 1955 the minimum wage was $1.00/hour. That's 67 years ago.

Wages have NOT kept up with the cost of living, and that is a FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 07:29 PM

1,811 posts, read 899,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I remember because it was not that long ago. The Left was telling us that someone working at McDonalds needed to make a "living wage". They settled on $15 per hour as the new mini and that is why a meal at Mcdonalds is $10+ . My wife and I were out and about around lunch time a few weeks back and we had a hankering for some fries. I don't like McDonalds but it was right there so we pulled in, placed our order and $23 later we were both asking why did we just do that for this gross food?

During all the crazy times when the Dems were demanding the $15 per hour we asked a very Liberal Trump hating friend if he would pay his employees in his small shop that much and he said, no way I would go out of business, well last year he was paying more than that due to the market rate of decent help.

Pretty much all the raises that people got have been eaten up by inflation and then some.

I really believe that half of our elected in DC would fail at running a lemonade stand.

I stopped in at McDonalds yesterday. Got two McChicken sandwich’s off of the 2 for $2 value menu and a large drink for a grand total of $3.25.

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Many are overlooking that we are now running a nationwide test program of $15+ min wage. Even in my liw COL area $12+ is what entry level workers now make.

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
We tried to tell them inflation would rise even faster, putting people further behind in the end.

Welp here we are. Real wages falling. Inflation raging past wages the likes of which some people have never experienced in their lifetimes.

Young people never understand economics, until it comes around and bites them in the ass. And if they are Democrats, they never learn even after theirs asses have been completely chewed off.

Remember this all next time someone comes up with the brilliant idea to raise the minimum wage to $50/hr to fix everything.
Said the person that voted for Biden......

Hindsight is 20 20

There is a lot more driving up the prices than the people making minimum wage.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
We tried to tell them inflation would rise even faster, putting people further behind in the end.

Welp here we are. Real wages falling. Inflation raging past wages the likes of which some people have never experienced in their lifetimes.

Young people never understand economics, until it comes around and bites them in the ass. And if they are Democrats, they never learn even after theirs asses have been completely chewed off.

Remember this all next time someone comes up with the brilliant idea to raise the minimum wage to $50/hr to fix everything.
Yeah, well the last time minimum wage was decided was July 24, 2009 and it has been set at $7.25 for the past 13 years. Work a months wages on that, try and meet your bills and then come back with how the economy is doing. Trust it isn't the minimum wage, that's the problem.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You want a history lesson? In 1955 the minimum wage was $1.00/hour. That's 67 years ago.

Wages have NOT kept up with the cost of living, and that is a FACT.
Entry level jobs are/were not intended to raise a family on. They cater to students, part time workers, etc… Want a better wage, one needs to better themselves versus expecting others to pay their way.

I paid attention in history and economics class. Printing and borrowing huge amounts of money, and extending it, adding to it, and letting folks live rent free while sOOO many jobs are available makes zero sense and is a terrible waste of money, and that was just the start.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:03 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yeah, well the last time minimum wage was decided was July 24, 2009 and it has been set at $7.25 for the past 13 years. Work a months wages on that, try and meet your bills and then come back with how the economy is doing. Trust it isn't the minimum wage, that's the problem.
Minimum wage jobs weren’t intended to live or raise a family on… Expecting otherwise is a very poor plan for one’s economic future.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:27 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
We're talking about entire economies, not individual businesses. Of course, wages are passed onto the consumer in a closed-loop transaction. What people don't talk about is that the amount cost-passing is a function of % labor cost of a final product, which ranges from very large to small. But that's another discussion.

But the implied theme of this thread is that wages are the main driver, as opposed to the minor driver it is. Silly, considering we've had a monstrous global epidemic/shutdown, funny stuff on Russia's end, maybe gas is a big part of this equation? Nah, it's the burger flippers making too much! Which, by the way, is partly free market magic. In my area, they will not find a soul for minimum wage. They make for no-brainer easy targets for corporate propaganda.

Record corporate profits during and after a pandemic despite those mean business-murdering wage increases? Never heard of her! Do those not cause inflation economy-wide? Only the peons?

And please explain how to cause real wages to go up. Do we all take a paycut? Don't say productivity, that clearly didn't work for the past several decades. All the money got sucked to the top, like it's designed.
To the bolded part - No, that is not the implied theme of the thread.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:31 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Said the person that voted for Biden......

Hindsight is 20 20

There is a lot more driving up the prices than the people making minimum wage.
I did not vote for Biden. I voted 3rd party.

I did not state wage increases were the only reason.

Why do people keep thinking every topic is an all or nothing situation?

Old 06-11-2022, 08:34 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
If there's one thing you learn about human nature is that telling somebody something is useless... people have to experience it for themselves and then change their behavior, or not. We don't learn from past mistakes because we think "this time it's different" or we just want to experience it for ourselves... we think we have a God given right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies