Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 01:04 PM

13,377 posts, read 4,227,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Handing it over to an even more broken federal government sure as hell isn't going to fix it.

LOL. They can't run the DMV or the post office properly but they will make the healthcare system run right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 01:06 PM

When something goes in my favor, why would I complain? 10 months for a bill. That's 10 months I have to pay the bill. Make it 12 and it's better.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:14 PM

13,273 posts, read 8,392,925 times
Health insurance is still regulated in my state . Meaning in plain English. Price gouge the patient for profit to the medical entity's..
The gist is, as always is : the patient is responsible for all medical bills . Time is not barred unless you are six ft under.

The deal behind delaying issuants of the bill is so that by the time you get the seven page bill with more frivolous charges is you'll have forgotten what exactly you had done. Okay maybe I'm kidding a tad bit. Most likely the printer was out of paper and it took them months from the supplier to get more in

Old 06-10-2022, 01:21 PM

203 posts, read 72,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
LOL. They can't run the DMV or the post office properly but they will make the healthcare system run right.
There is no need for the government to run healthcare. Instead, it will pay for certain treatments/drugs/visits, and function as an insurance company. There maybe government run hospitals, but I suspect most will be private and not-for-profit. Some people will elect to buy insurance on top of what the government provides, and some docs will purely be on a concierge basis only (kind of like today).

But I think this system will be more efficient than what we have today.

We cannot allow people to go without insurance since in the advent they need ER treatment, we will still need to pay for them. Hence, this is not a free market as maybe buying a TV is. If society is on the hook one way or the other, then it's best out to cut out the for-profit middlemen - the insurance companies.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:23 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,151,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Health insurance is still regulated in my state . Meaning in plain English. Price gouge the patient for profit to the medical entity's..
The gist is, as always is : the patient is responsible for all medical bills . Time is not barred unless you are six ft under.

The deal behind delaying issuants of the bill is so that by the time you get the seven page bill with more frivolous charges is you'll have forgotten what exactly you had done. Okay maybe I'm kidding a tad bit. Most likely the printer was out of paper and it took them months from the supplier to get more in
Being 6' under doesn't make a difference. When my wife passed away, I was still getting bills almost 2 years later. This made verification almost impossible. Quite frankly the billing system was damn near unreadable with page after page of line items. There is almost no way to determine if everything was on the up and up!

Old 06-10-2022, 01:30 PM

100 posts, read 61,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If you think it's bad now, just wait until the government finishes taking it over.
I dunno man, the IRS is a pretty efficient government agency. Maybe the folks who run that agency can run the healthcare agency.

Quote:
When something goes in my favor, why would I complain? 10 months for a bill. That's 10 months I have to pay the bill. Make it 12 and it's better.
That's true, but it makes it really hard to maintain a budget. Use your mortgage or rent as an example. Can you imagine how hard it would be to manage if sometimes you got a bill monthly and then randomly you didn't get a bill for 3 months and when you did get the bill, it was totally different than what you expected.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:35 PM

203 posts, read 72,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briskwheel View Post
I dunno man, the IRS is a pretty efficient government agency. Maybe the folks who run that agency can run the healthcare agency.

That's true, but it makes it really hard to maintain a budget. Use your mortgage or rent as an example. Can you imagine how hard it would be to manage if sometimes you got a bill monthly and then randomly you didn't get a bill for 3 months and when you did get the bill, it was totally different than what you expected.
The fact is most people don't even realize they owe that money. They go in a for a visit, pay a copay, and believe the rest is covered. Perhaps they ask the doctor's office, and the doctor's office confirms. Then the insurance company for some reason rejects the charge, and sends it back to the doctor's office which sends it back to the payer.

It's even more complicated if the payer may have chosen not to do the procedure if they'd have known the true cost. Let's say there is an optional MRI, that the doctor recommends but is not needed. Would the patient elect to take it if they knew it would be $800? Maybe not. This way, they may be fooled into believing the MRI cost is the copay ($50) and months later they get the rest of the bill.

This system is set up to benefit first the Insurance Company, then the Doctor, and never the patient.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,679,251 times
Quote:
How is the system broken? You got a bill in 2022 that was for 8/21 service and you complain. They gave you 10 months to pay it back and you complain?

Maybe they were backlogged or because of the economy gave their clients extra time but how does this affects you? You knew you had a bill to pay and didn't call them and stayed quiet pretending they forgot and now they sent you the bill you get all dramatic.

You own the money, yes or no? then you should have paid the money or set it aside when the bill came. I don't know how your case translate to the whole system.
With the amount of work back and forth between medical providers, insurers, and patients, verifying the policy coverage, whether the treatment is a listed insurable service, and any discounts negotiated between the insurer and the provider, it's no wonder that an occasional bill gets delayed a few months. When people pay attention to their medical care billing using both the provider nd insurance websites, they would be aware that they owe it. It's actually a nice advantage to know that you owe that, but haven't received the bill. That gave you a lot of time to save up the amount. I know how much of my annual out-of-pocket has been met for medical and for drugs, and which bills have not yet been received. I follow it closely because yes, there is a very big possibility of an error, you have to stay on top of it.

Old 06-10-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With the amount of work back and forth between medical providers, insurers, and patients, verifying the policy coverage, whether the treatment is a listed insurable service, and any discounts negotiated between the insurer and the provider, it's no wonder that an occasional bill gets delayed a few months. When people pay attention to their medical care billing using both the provider nd insurance websites, they would be aware that they owe it. It's actually a nice advantage to know that you owe that, but haven't received the bill. That gave you a lot of time to save up the amount. I know how much of my annual out-of-pocket has been met for medical and for drugs, and which bills have not yet been received. I follow it closely because yes, there is a very big possibility of an error, you have to stay on top of it.
Of course you stay on top of your things, you are the best person for it and if something goes my way I either stay quiet or give them a call if I feel like it. All the time it works in my advantage. I will always call when it goes against me.

But if there is a bill and they forget or delay for 10 months, that helps me not hurt me which is not common. I'm not going to fight. Hell, it would be better if they lost the whole bill, that would the better news.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:03 PM

4,370 posts, read 4,334,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
There is no need for the government to run healthcare. Instead, it will pay for certain treatments/drugs/visits, and function as an insurance company. There maybe government run hospitals, but I suspect most will be private and not-for-profit. Some people will elect to buy insurance on top of what the government provides, and some docs will purely be on a concierge basis only (kind of like today).

But I think this system will be more efficient than what we have today.

We cannot allow people to go without insurance since in the advent they need ER treatment, we will still need to pay for them. Hence, this is not a free market as maybe buying a TV is. If society is on the hook one way or the other, then it's best out to cut out the for-profit middlemen - the insurance companies.
Insurance companies are fiscally responsible. Our government, not so much.

Put another way: if you are looking for an entity to waste money and create confusion look no further than the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies