Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be an appropriate criminal sentence for parents who bring underage kids to drag events ?
Misdemeanor: A payable fine, possible prison time, and parental investigation of child welfare 32 39.51%
Felony: A mandatory minimum prison sentence and loss of parental custody 13 16.05%
Should really not be prosecuted but drag shows should not be for kids 36 44.44%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 10:36 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I will agree that the participation of what happened in Calif or Texas on that video was wrong. What I’m saying is stop at the gate - no minors allowed. We have laws that if liquor is served can’t get in under 21 at a strip bar. So hooters ? It serves food, the Moose or American Legion serves food and kids always welcomed, full bars and slots machines etc. Lots of gambling going on. So nobody is naked at a drag show. Kids stopped from dancing at regular clubs. Must be 21 yrs old so What is the deal?
Agreed. My dad use to take me to American legion and VFW clubs when I was young, I sat there with a soda and played pool and darts with everybody while they drank alcohol. No big deal. Now those clubs aren't the same genre as say a drag show, but as long as it is about fashion dancing and comedy and not sexual I don't see a issue.

The differences some are believing, is drag shows are immoral by nature , which is their right to believe, and those that believe that as long as it is not sexual in nature and kids aren't participating well then whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 10:48 AM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Agreed. My dad use to take me to American legion and VFW clubs when I was young, I sat there with a soda and played pool and darts with everybody while they drank alcohol. No big deal. Now those clubs aren't the same genre as say a drag show, but as long as it is about fashion dancing and comedy and not sexual I don't see a issue.

The differences some are believing, is drag shows are immoral by nature , which is their right to believe, and those that believe that as long as it is not sexual in nature and kids aren't participating well then whatever.
I was 22 when a friend said something about going out. Military town. I was so naive. I bet her a night of paying for drinks that the woman serving us was indeed a female. I was wrong and I was in shock - I never knew this existed besides the funny tv shows or movies. In any case, we hit every drag and gay club in the city. I learned a lot. In no instance was there any nudity or sex acts. Zero adult language yes, but the show or performance is what it’s all about. I’m very straight and so was she and it really opened my mind. People are just people. Not everything is evil trying to get you.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Based on that statement, your only issue appears to be that he making that statement when there is no law that prevents it. So if a law gets put in place you would have no issue with parents being investigated by CPS.

Did you feel the say way when he put in restrictions about not talking about sexual topics with kids in K-3?
You want to protect kids from what ? A conversation a show or sex ? I’m for teachers answering questions about Sex or body with age appropriate answers. I’ve said it many times. Too many Parents are ratchet - drugs alcohol etc in Fl. Kids should be able to go to any teacher with any concerns.
You threatened teachers w law suits. The Governor plus. -not you - personally.
Now if a blended family wants to take a kid to a drag show- you threaten the parents with jail.
To enter a dance club or gentlemen’s bar you must be 21. But you can take the 5 yr old to Hooters. You like the shows with the little gals with heavy make up and/ or cheerleading with gals legs wide open in the air. There’s no problem. Where does the moral compass stop? Only if it involves gays or others? I’m thinking The Gov needs to come out of the closet.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:08 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,247,714 times
Should tootsie, hairspray, victor victoria and the birdcage be for adults only? Do they send the wrong message? Mrs doubtfire?
How about Rocky horror picture show- which has been a cult classic for teenagers for 50 years?

Old 06-11-2022, 12:05 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Should tootsie, hairspray, victor victoria and the birdcage be for adults only? Do they send the wrong message? Mrs doubtfire?
How about Rocky horror picture show- which has been a cult classic for teenagers for 50 years?
Nice Try....

Tootsie - Was actually more about Women's rights and discrimination than sexualizing "Drag". It also was not aimed at kids.

Hairspray- The main theme here was Racial Discrimination. The only thing "Drag" about that was the mother is traditionally played by a man. Again, nothing sexualizing Drag or pushing it on kids.

Victor/Victoria and The Birdcage - These are probably the closest comparison. But when they were released they were not being promoted towards kids.

Mrs. Doubtfile - Probably the only movie of your list that you could say was aimed at kids. However, there was nothing "sexualizing" Drag. The main theme is more about family. Don't think you can say the same thing about a "Drag Show".

Rockey Horror Picture Show - Rated "R" and I don't think I ever saw a showing before 10PM. Hardly something you could say is aimed at younger kids.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Nice Try....

Tootsie - Was actually more about Women's rights and discrimination than sexualizing "Drag". It also was not aimed at kids.

Hairspray- The main theme here was Racial Discrimination. The only thing "Drag" about that was the mother is traditionally played by a man. Again, nothing sexualizing Drag or pushing it on kids.

Victor/Victoria and The Birdcage - These are probably the closest comparison. But when they were released they were not being promoted towards kids.

Mrs. Doubtfile - Probably the only movie of your list that you could say was aimed at kids. However, there was nothing "sexualizing" Drag. The main theme is more about family. Don't think you can say the same thing about a "Drag Show".

Rockey Horror Picture Show - Rated "R" and I don't think I ever saw a showing before 10PM. Hardly something you could say is aimed at younger kids.
The shows are for all to see. Parents used to decide what they could or couldn’t watch. Those are old shows. Now Sex is in everything. We cannot stop the internet, nor the music or TV. The Kardash are terrible role models. But the issue here is not sex content it’s the LGBTQ issue. It’s the type of sex they can be exposed to.
Now it’s Lizzo and RuPaul - kids know who they are and they don’t care really. Personally I think it’s crazy that you think a child will turn gay or binary or whatever by watching a show.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
When it comes to children, it's a thornier question.

Unlike adults, children are protected by both their parents/guardians and the state. The state basically tells the guardians what they can and cannot do with their children.

The gun debate is about taking certain guns away from anyone - be they law abiding or not.

The two are not comparable. One says X is intrinsically harmful and we will protect Y by punishing Z if they expose Y to X. The other says, since someone may abuse X we will ban X for everyone, regardless of what they do and if they do nothing wrong with X.

To make them comparable, DeSantis would ban drag shows across Florida out of the risk some parents may drag their kids to one. This would apply to everyone, regardless if they have kids or not and regardless how responsibly they behave with the drag show.

Anyways, DeSantis hasn't passed or even suggested a law. He hinted social services may investigate. Which means basically nothing, except intimidation. Taking your kids to a drag bar wouldn't cause social services to take away your kids, instead they may do a home visit and see if everything is on the up and up.

I'm against this btw, as I'm against essentially all morality laws. This should be left up to the parents. But we don't leave this up to the parents now.

Anyways, this is much ruckus over nothing. When (and if) a legislation gets proposed, we can talk about it then.
DeSantis has a record of shoving bills up our a$$ before anyone can even debate the issue. If he can make a law against LGTBQ he will. Tampa has the most gentlemen’s clubs in Fl, and big problem with underage and human trafficking but that’s not where his efforts are.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:49 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The shows are for all to see. Parents used to decide what they could or couldn’t watch. Those are old shows. Now Sex is in everything. We cannot stop the internet, nor the music or TV. The Kardash are terrible role models. But the issue here is not sex content it’s the LGBTQ issue. It’s the type of sex they can be exposed to.
Now it’s Lizzo and RuPaul - kids know who they are and they don’t care really. Personally I think it’s crazy that you think a child will turn gay or binary or whatever by watching a show.
Please show me one post where I stated any such thing.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:58 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
I find it odd that trannies and drag queens want to perform for children. Just as I find it odd that a lesbian or gay teacher feels a need to come out to the students. These are not well people.

Old 06-11-2022, 02:57 PM

30,247 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
https://news.yahoo.com/desantis-weig...182636185.html

Many Floridians side with DeSantis that although they encourage parental rights, parents who are not responsible do not deserve those privileges as parents

What would you propose be an appropriate criminal sentence for a new law disallowing parents to bring their children to drag shows?
Nope. I don't agree with those parents, but I agree less with government dictating where parents can bring their kids, provided they aren't taking them into a bar/tavern/nightclub, because we already have the "21 and older" law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies