Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 01:34 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times

Advertisements

Go to a neo natal unit.
All the person's who stand firm on the anything goes for drug use , can watch the effects on a child who's over 21 bio parent utilized drugs .
This is not the exception, it's the norm for some users.

There is valid concern in the medical system for the imbeciles that Freely harm themselves and the community thru consumption of this mind altering chemical. There is truth to the term ' wasted'.

Rehab is for the ones who are sick and tired of being sick and tired of that chemical dependency. Not for the ones that will defend to the end their self proclaimed usage that makes them think they are above the rest. The: I can manage and control this.

Such nonsense to plactate .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 01:36 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I think the penalty would be for them to face the consequences of their decision to experiment with non-prescribed hard drugs (meth, heroin, etc.) without any help from taxpayers -- and if that leads to them eventually overdosing and dying from that-- well, they will receive no sympathy from me.

There are literally millions of people who are suffering from terrible diseases that they did not choose for themselves. Imo, taxpayer money should go to support and help those people and not intentional drug abusers.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:04 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think the penalty would be for them to face the consequences of their decision to experiment with non-prescribed hard drugs (meth, heroin, etc.) without any help from taxpayers -- and if that leads to them eventually overdosing and dying from that-- well, they will receive no sympathy from me.

There are literally millions of people who are suffering from terrible diseases that they did not choose for themselves. Imo, taxpayer money should go to support and help those people and not intentional drug abusers.
Some of those are people who became hooked on legal prescriptions and turned to the street when the prescribing physician wouldn't issue another script. Rush Limbaugh is a sterling example.

Others like Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley and others with a lot of money have personal physicians in their back pockets to give them whatever they want when they ask for it.

Judy Garland was hooked on pills by the studio bosses so that she could work on their schedule.

As a recovering addict and alcoholic, let me assure you that no one ever tried any drug with the idea that they could get hooked on it. In all likelihood the first time was with a group of people at a party who were all doing it or with a lover who was a user. Unless and until you have been an addict, you cannot possibly know the hell of living in it. Once the addiction takes hold, you don't use to get high - All you want to do is get enough in you so that you can escape the debilitating physical pain of withdrawal. Addicts are some of those people suffering from terrible diseases and deserve to be treated with respect, not contempt. They literally cannot help themselves.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:06 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso112233 View Post
Most Americans want hard drug users to suffer some penalties for doing hard drugs as do mlst Europeans and acanadians (obviously)
To people who want hard drugs decrminalizationed:

1) Should forced drug rehab and or forced drug diversion therapy be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all
2) Should house arrest be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
3) Should technical incarceration be a penalty instead of no penalty at all?
4) Should something more than a fine be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
5) Should community service with a suspended sentence be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all

Hard drug users need SOME penalty
On what do you base your opening statement?

I am not sure that is true. Pretty sure we want to stop drug use and addiction because of the toll it takes on society, but I am not sure that "obviously" "most people" want drug users to be punished just for using.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
A pair of Canadian researchers demonstrated that rats would not become to addicted to morphine laced water if their cages were large with sufficient attractions and fellow rats to socialize with. When the rat was placed by itself, in a small empty cage, it developed an addiction.

Addictive personalities can become addicted to healthy things like exercise and reading.

You mention pills, mind sharing what pills? And if your doctor recommended them initially ?
No doctors involved with the pills. Black beauties for breakfast and at lunchtime washed down with bourbon, phenobarbital at bedtime, washed down with more bourbon.

I used amphetamines in college to cram for exams. I was in business working 16-18 hour days.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:41 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
The problem isn't drugs, it's what people do to get money for drugs.
When drugs are illegal they cost more. I don't smoke weed but have friends that do. They said in Oklahoma a gram used to cost $20 when it was illegal. Now at the weed store its $3.

I agree with many above. Legalize all drugs for people over 21. Make rehab easy and free. Don't give people criminal records for just having an addiction.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Since you were buying prescription drugs off the street, at one point or the other some Doc was involved.

Many years back I totaled my sports car driving over 100mph. Needed to have my scalp restapled to my head and lost a lot of blood but I was fine. The ER sent me out with a script of Percocet.

My friend, good one, we were friends since college, came and picked me up. We went to fill my script but I let him know I had no plans to take it as I wasn’t in that much pain. He asked me if he could have it if i didn’t want it. I saw no issues with that, I handed him the pills.

We lost track. But about 15 years ago I learned he died of a OD, pain killers and alcohol.

All of these Rx pills at one point or the other start with an easy prescription. The doctor who saw me at the ER never asked me if I need such a strong pain killer. In fact, he told me to take them to keep the pain in check whatever that means. But I was raised differently, if I complained something hurt as a kid my father would mock me. As a result, to this day I don’t need or take pain meds for anything, even post surgeries (obviously during surgery they will administer them).
I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. I’m sorry he didn’t find his own bottom and get help in time. Admitting I was an addict is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my 70 years. Some never do admit it, even to themselves.

I would be willing to bet most of the pills I bought were stolen from shipments between pharmaceutical warehouses. My dealer had way too many of them all the time to think they came from script an individual physician wrote.

Either way, it was 36 years back in January. I got to watch my kids grow up and become successful and happy, and that makes me happy. All I can say to anyone who is trying to stay clean and sober but having days when things are shaky is to keep on keeping on. It keeps getting better down the road.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:50 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
These are all dangerous drugs, and we're giving them out like candy. Yet, drugs like heroin and cocaine, will land you in the slammer for selling, possessing large quantities, or even using small amounts. Let's not even bring up marijuana because that's so ridiculous.
Truth. The ironic thing is that heroin is nothing but a weaker opiod than Fentanyl or Oxycontin.

The addicts to those drugs are doing a much harder drug than heroin. And they will die at a similar, or even higher, rate than heroin. Look what happened to Rush Limbaugh. Years of addiction to synthetic or government approved opiates took his hearing away, gave him bells palsy and every kind of health detriment heroin addiction would cause. He did almost all of it quasi-legally, he was busted for his drugs eventually but it was not like something that would stop him from doing them. So he went the way of any heroin addict in the end, but didn't have to suffer like most would because he had the money.

The stigma we've imparted on "hard drugs" is so ridiculous and ineffective. But it all comes down to money and no American can get in the way of that.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:02 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Some of those are people who became hooked on legal prescriptions and turned to the street when the prescribing physician wouldn't issue another script. Rush Limbaugh is a sterling example.

Others like Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley and others with a lot of money have personal physicians in their back pockets to give them whatever they want when they ask for it.

Judy Garland was hooked on pills by the studio bosses so that she could work on their schedule.

As a recovering addict and alcoholic, let me assure you that no one ever tried any drug with the idea that they could get hooked on it. In all likelihood the first time was with a group of people at a party who were all doing it or with a lover who was a user. Unless and until you have been an addict, you cannot possibly know the hell of living in it. Once the addiction takes hold, you don't use to get high - All you want to do is get enough in you so that you can escape the debilitating physical pain of withdrawal. Addicts are some of those people suffering from terrible diseases and deserve to be treated with respect, not contempt. They literally cannot help themselves.
I just found out a few days ago a old friend of mine was arrested two years ago for breaking into businesses and stealing items and pawning them. My friend is in his 40's had a successful auto glass company with several good paying accounts that hired him all the time. He had a nice home, a wife, has three lovely daughters who are now moms themselves, he had it all going for himself and then those fricking opiates got the better of him.

When you know someone personally, and know they are not bad people but something happened that led them down a dark road, it is more apparent that some people are worth saving as long as they decide to want help. It is easy to judge looking from the outside but ...

Old 06-14-2022, 06:20 PM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you. Not completely sure about antibiotics, because that changes the arc of infections when antibiotics are used indiscriminately.

But for painkillers and recreational drugs, yes.
So decriminalize drugs that do harm, but keep drugs that actually do some good thoroughly regulated. Got it.

I'd be far more interested in being able to obtain antibiotics, etc, without a prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies