Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 02:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
People who bring Jesus Christ into the live free themselves from the drugs and other things bring them down and this happens all the time and it’s a permanent fix.
I didn’t say religion I said Jesus Christ I’m talking about a real relationship personal accountability to God and the strength to overcome all the pitfalls of living.
People choose all kinds of things for escape the most things I choose are all temporary and they come with a price. God loves and cares about you more than you can know so long as you maintain rebellion, there is a little he can do about your situation. When you become desperate and honest and humble before God and ask Jesus into your life things change I have no because it’s happened with me and many many more people that I know. I never had a drug addiction but rebellion still existed in me till I came to God in Jesus name and He turned my life around. Not religion, Jesus Christ.
God searches the heart of men, not those only looking for excuses or blame to continue living in rebellion, but those that desperately seek Him.
Jesus alone provides the Holy Spirit to teach in His Place, those that have chosen His influence.

It’s all about surrendering.

Works for some people, some of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:52 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
The RCTs were all done against a placebo. So what you probably experienced was a placebo effect but irregardless if it’s helping you you shouldn’t need drugs to sleep. Try exercise
Try not telling someone that what already works for them really isn't helping . You are not a physician.

Last edited by ansible90; 06-15-2022 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
A generation of Americans were made addicted to Opioids by their doctors. They would have any pain, complain to their doctor (or any procedure done) and their doctor would start them off on opioids instead of much milder medications like ibuprofen.

After the fall out, many docs were scared to prescribe Opioids knowing they could be investigated, fined, lose their license, or more. So this generation of Americans, whom thinks every little boo-boo needs an opioid began turning to street drugs - aka fentanyl,

Americans consume 60% of the world's opioids! Are Americans just the weakest of all people, they need so much pain medication? Well the answer is yes, thanks to their docs.
With fewer than 5% of the world’s population, US people consume more of just about everything.

To be fair, the pharmaceutical companies, specifically Purdue Pharma , sold the FDA and Mds, long after it knew how addictive Oxys were.

Europe does not have the pill challenge the US does because MDs never prescribed it for every ache and pain.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Druggies and drunks usually don't change until they actually want to. Forcing them into rehab for a court or doing it as a favor for a friend or family frequently doesn't work because they are not doing it for themselves. Also keep in mind many drugs do not manufacture thoughts or emotions. They lower impulse control and allow them to act on existing thoughts & emotions. Meaning many are already ignorant, selfish or legally & ethically challenged hence stealing, lying, manipulation etc.

Also take the drugs and lifestyle out of their lives something must go into it's place. Long term drunks and druggies don' t have a sober life to return to. This is why religion or a program frequently work the best because it tells them how to live.
All programs work, including seemingly kookie ones, if you work the program.

12 Steps is only one way and less effective for younger people who view themselves as invincible.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Heroin/opium has been popular for decades!

The Chinese were the first to bring it to the US, they had their Opium dens, but over the years, others started using it, in the 1970s, blacks were associated with Heroin, (today, its white people mostly).

See how this changes over the years?

The pharma industry got a lot of people hooked, but that isnt anything new, as I said before, opium has been in demand for decades, centuries actually. Wars have been fought over opium...that isnt going to stop anytime soon.

If you really want someone to blame...it would be the Chinese.

Its the way opium/opioids make the user feel, (its incredible), thats why its been so popular for centuries.
Poppy seeds have been around since forever. People would chew or brew tea for temporary relief from aches and pains.

And where did the Chinese get it from?

That would be the West, of course.

Great Britain exported opium from India to China and introduced smoking.
Britain and Portugal were big on opium trade for silks and teas.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:18 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso112233 View Post
Most Americans want hard drug users to suffer some penalties for doing hard drugs as do mlst Europeans and acanadians (obviously)
To people who want hard drugs decrminalizationed:

1) Should forced drug rehab and or forced drug diversion therapy be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all
2) Should house arrest be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
3) Should technical incarceration be a penalty instead of no penalty at all?
4) Should something more than a fine be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
5) Should community service with a suspended sentence be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all

Hard drug users need SOME penalty
I say no. Legalize it all. But no taxpayer funded rehab, medical treatment, housing or anything else. If people want to kill themselves, frankly, let them. No reason for the taxpayers to pay to protect people from themselves.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you get the coat back? OK, that was sick.

Re the bolded, yes it is. I have been on that side of it. Although I did not come from a household of alkies or addicts, I was raised in a religious home typical for that time (50s/60s/70s) where people, in particular women, are taught to always put themselves aside to care for other person, be a martyr, turn the other cheek, forgive 70 times 7, and so forth. All that does is make one a target for the addict, who can spot people like me a mile away.

But, I'm better now.
The parka? No.

Figured he traded it to score.

Then there was a room mate whose addicted boy friend decided to shoot himself in the head, in our living
room.

That’s when I walked away from everyone I knew at the time. Sooner or later the chaos of addiction impacts everyone.

These were all middle class white kids, solid 2 parent families and siblings who chose different paths. For a blip in time I thought I could save them from themselves.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:35 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The parka? No.

Figured he traded it to score.

Then there was a room mate whose addicted boy friend decided to shoot himself in the head, in our living
room.

That’s when I walked away from everyone I knew at the time. Sooner or later the chaos of addiction impacts everyone.

These were all middle class white kids, solid 2 parent families and siblings who chose different paths. For a blip in time I thought I could save them from themselves.
Almost all the addicts I have ever known were middle class white kids.

My late brother's wife is 69 years old. She's been using heroin since she was 18. I know that about ten years ago, she'd said that the longest she'd ever been sober was 2 months. She had breast cancer back in the 1990s, and then a few years ago, it showed up in her brain. Amazingly, she survived that, too, but then she was clean for a while and actually working as a cook in a social services place that fed the homeless. I think she may have even lasted more than a year, not sure.

Then two years ago, my niece let us know that her mother had gotten some painkillers and OD'd. My niece arranged for her to go to the nursing home, but amazingly, this woman had a boyfriend, and he married her so he would be next of kin and could make her medical decisions, and he took her home.

The last I heard, my niece took her kids to see her mother on Easter, and when she got there, her mother and her husband were drunk, so she turned around and went home.

My former sister-in-law is the oldest of five children of a nice middle class family. The rest of them had normal, productive lives.

She once told me that back in the Sixties, when they showed kids around sixth grade the films in school about drugs and what they could do to you, all the other kids said, "Oh, I would NEVER try anything like that", but she secretly wanted to know what it would be like to take those pills.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:52 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
When Docs prescribe SSRIs/SNRIs to people with depression and/or anxiety that's literally what they're prescribing - getting high to take the edge off. Of course, they call it medicine!
No one gets high from antidepressants. Why would even say that.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
When Docs prescribe SSRIs/SNRIs to people with depression and/or anxiety that's literally what they're prescribing - getting high to take the edge off. Of course, they call it medicine!
Quote:
Yes, you got high. He could have prescribed you heroin and it would have worked better FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No one gets high from antidepressants. Why would even say that.
Because he reads a lot and gets mixed up about various drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies