Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 08:03 AM

43,016 posts, read 18,195,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If POTUS controlled the economy, there would never be recessions.
I don't know about that. Joe likes to spend and we'd be bankrupt if he did control the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There will be additional large interest rate increases this year, which is why the stock market tanked.

THis will slow the economy and lower inflation.

We are most certainly headed for an economic downturn which in conjunction with interest rates will pop the housing market bubble.
Revlon may be the canary in the coal mine here...they were loaded down with debt and then had supply chain issues and 4x higher material cost.

The smart ones will start paying down their debt now.
Makes you wonder just how leveraged these companies are...how much debt did they take on during the good years.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm really on the fence about what will happen with Biden. The DNC has been pretty awful about picking winners of late instead of giving everyone a fair run. How many key insiders would it really take for them to just freeze out any challenge to him?

I agree about Trump and suspect it will be Desantis.
When a POTUS decides to run for re-election, there are no serious contenders from the same party.

Biden will be 82 and Trump 78 in 2024.

DeSantis is the front runner, right now. With Trump out, there will likely be another “ clown car” of competitors hoping to catch fire as there was in 2020 for the Democrats and 2016 for Republicans.

No one would have reasonably predicted Trump would run, let alone win the nomination and then the general election in 2014. Jeb Bush entered as the front runner and folded.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't know about that. Joe likes to spend and we'd be bankrupt if he did control the economy.
All POTUS like to spend other people’s $ and debt. The federal Government can’t bankrupt.
All POTUS inherit debt, add to it and kick the can.

Congress controls the purse strings.

Funding for Ukraine was a bipartisan initiative. They granted more $ than requested.
This will be forgotten when it comes time to raise the dent ceiling.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
All POTUS like to spend other people’s $ and debt.

Congress controls the purse strings.

Funding for Ukraine was a bipartisan initiative. They granted more $ than requested.
This will be forgotten when it comes time to raise the dent ceiling.
I know that. I was replying to your comment about no recessions.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:25 AM

28,354 posts, read 16,362,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I'm not claiming doom and gloom over things just yet, IT is hardly the only white collar job market there is. And even when things get bad, there will always be a need for IT professionals.
Agreed, fully. However, the article linked in the OP talks about "tech" companies, specifically.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Agreed, fully. However, the article linked in the OP talks about "tech" companies, specifically.
Discretionary income is the first to be cut and many of these companies do not fall into the "necessity" bucket.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I think there is an employee threshhold that has to hit for a warn notice (50 IIRC?). Sure, it shows the heavy hitters, but it does not show the 100's of times more little places that reduce the IT department from 2 to 1.
The Federal WARN Act is about providing employees with notice. Employees with less than 6 months service and most part time employees are exempt.

Some states have their own WARN Acts and notice includes filing with the state.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:39 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,248 times
Oh Noes!!!

Revlon files for bankruptcy!

Old 06-16-2022, 10:11 AM

4,898 posts, read 3,356,365 times
Quote:
The stock market outperforms real estate over time. Unfortunately, people can’t live in their portfolio.
That's one of the major problems; people seeing real estate as an "investment" rather than as a place to live/shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies