Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2022, 06:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 1,797,346 times

Advertisements

The last thing Congress should be doing right now is creating more demand via gov programs. It hinders productivity and is inflationary. We need people working and to be spending less in order for things to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 07:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Sincerely: figure it out on your own. The government already bails out banks and airlines. Bail yourself out if you wish to be taken seriously. I leaned on the government during some job losses ( unemployment benefit, and snap food). No guilt as I paid in thru the years with MY taxes.
Literally ten days after my c section I was back to work. None of this , six weeks off . Even those ten days weren't paid for by employer or govt. Nor should it.
As a parent we may want it easier for the next generation , that doesn't mean we want them to be subsidized . I worked side by side with some amazing single parents. None of us expected special treatment. Neither should these person's. Figure it out.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:33 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,491,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
the article and the hearing are a microcosm of everything that's wrong with media and the Dems. Lord help us that the R's win in November so we don't see crap like this scheduled again.

What is a single mother of a yr old, that's also a business owner, expect to benefit from "paid leave for all" (if we're talking maternity benefits). In her case, even if we were talking some system of PTO (for sick days), who does she think is going to pay hers?

what changed between November 2019 and November 2021 to make "child care costs" an item the Federal Government should be involved? Is the supply (ie, number of open daycares) down significantly or something?

And why were one-time pandemic benefits somehow seen as permanent?

And what is this "federally-mandated paid leave program"? And what would unemployment benefits have to do with someone who works?
My county government, the county council, voted to put a measure on the ballot in November to raise our property tax level to pay for early childhood education for all. In other words, we get to pay for several years’ of childcare for every kid if this passes. Our property tax jumped 15.6% this year. We will be voting no.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:29 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I still don't know why companies and employers offer any insurance products to people. They should not, it's an entirely separate thing from their work-for-pay contract. Isn't that what the marketplace is all about? Nobody should be beholding to their employer for that sort of thing.
It's FDR's legacy. US employer-provided health care insurance resulted from FDR's Executive Order (9328) wage and salary freeze nearly 80 years ago. Employer's couldn't raise wages to attract and keep competent workers, so they began offering employment benefits like health insurance to circumvent FDR's Executive Order wage and salary freeze.

Ever since then, employer-provided health care insurance has been popular. It's a win/win for employers AND employees. Employers get the tax deduction for the cost as a business expense (part of the cost of labor), and it's a nontaxable form of compensation for employees. Suffice it to say... Employee-provided health care insurance will never be eradicated. Way too many businesses and employees are against doing so.

The Real Reason the US Has Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance - NY Times
Non-paywall link: https://web.archive.org/web/20180207...insurance.html

Old 06-20-2022, 12:18 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,313,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
In this day and age, ALOT. You underestimate the amount of people that would take the pay cut because maybe you aren't privy to the atmosphere in the workforce as it stands now. I stand by all that I said. If we want to prioritize families and children in this country, we need to put protections and benefits in place that incentivize time with the family and mental health. That's how you get a healthy populace ready and willing to work.
I'm not sure what the "atmosphere in the workforce" is, since I've been working and interacting professionally with at least the white collar workforce for 35 years.

What "protections" are needed to incentivize time with the family and mental health? Do not the vast majority of health insurance policies also cover mental health?

What would you say to a single person or a couple that chooses not to have kids?

Old 06-20-2022, 12:30 PM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
20-30 years ago it was all about destigmatizing single motherhood to the point that not needing a man became a sort of badge of "girl power".

Those that questioned the wisdom were called behind the times or anti-woman.

So, tell you what...you want all the rights and choices (which I fully agree with) so then live with them.

Old 06-20-2022, 12:34 PM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
20-30 years ago it was all about destigmatizing single motherhood to the point that not needing a man became a sort of badge of "girl power".

Those that questioned the wisdom were called behind the times or anti-woman.

So, tell you what...you want all the rights and choices (which I fully agree with) so then live with them.
They changed Their minds now. They want government to “ do something”

Old 06-20-2022, 01:47 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There is a much easier, more efficient way to solve this issue

Women can just go back to being housewives, cleaning and doing the laundry for their man. And then shopping for food and cooking it

The man will do all the bread winning.
That didnt work before why would you think that it would now.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:05 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
could be, but I bet many of us have children that we support emotionally and financially and as caregivers, whether "equal" or not.

Define, thoroughly, safe and affordable daycare.
Yes that is great but not quite the same as having to be the sole bread winner and parent and trying to keep a full time job when you have to miss work due to kid stuff, sickness, closed daycare, appointments, etc.
And its not just single women, married women most often take on the responsibility of all or most of that and home and try to hold down a job. That is often why many women leave their jobs.

I know in most areas just finding a spot in daycare is hard because there are just not enough openings. And from what I understand the cost often outweighs the benefit of working. What do you think affordable means.
As far as safe, not having to leave your child in a sketchy daycare environment.

Apparently it is an issue for many. I'm not advocating paying parents to be SAHparents, but it seems the country wants women to keep having kids, and to keep working. They sure dont want mothers on welfare and getting food stamps. Nothing is really being done to promote marriage, to uphold the significance of fathers, or to hold fathers financially responsible to their children (mothers either).

I would advise all young women not to have children. And if you must wait until you have an education/job training, career or good job and a dependable support system in place, be that a committed husband or partner and family members.

Old 06-22-2022, 12:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 733,836 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what the "atmosphere in the workforce" is, since I've been working and interacting professionally with at least the white collar workforce for 35 years.

What "protections" are needed to incentivize time with the family and mental health? Do not the vast majority of health insurance policies also cover mental health?

What would you say to a single person or a couple that chooses not to have kids?
Child-free employees, and male employees with or without children, are told to shut up and take up the work slack, do longer hours and travel, and accept last choice of vacation days and holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies