Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 12:10 PM

36,839 posts, read 31,130,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Child-free employees, and male employees with or without children, are told to shut up and take up the work slack, do longer hours and travel, and accept last choice of vacation days and holidays.
Someone has to be responsible for the children.

It could also be seen as working mothers are unable to work full time or get any overtime, cant travel and never get vacation days because they use them all for personal days to see to their children's needs. Apparently male employees with children dont want give that up.
I guess its a matter of perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 12:27 PM

78,941 posts, read 61,137,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
...it seems the country wants women to keep having kids, and to keep working.
I can't speak for the country.

All I want is for people to not make terrible decisions and call it "empowering" and mock people for being backwards women haters....then years later, awash in single moms we get more blame for how we aren't treating women right because the outcome of those choices sucks.

P.S. I recognize a host of problems and issues people can run into through no fault of their own. I myself became a single parent via death when they were still in gradeschool. I'm talking about the bulk of the cases where it's a real major problem and the dad is totally not helping.

Old 06-22-2022, 12:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,915,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
As someone who has to work with people who abuse FMLA that our company pays for even though the government doesn't require, this is my biggest pet peeve about modern society, this entitlement mentality where people think they are entitled to weeks/months of paid leave. It's the parasitic load on the system that will cause it's collapse, if we collapse. It's becoming across the board at this point. The entitlement mentality is strong in this country. We have become victims of our own success and grown soft.

Everyone thinks they are above blue collar or service jobs, so who is going to build new homes and maintain this infrastructure? Even if they take these jobs, the average home price is higher inflation adjusted than at any time in the history of this country... who's going to want to work these jobs with asset prices the way they are? Thing about democrats... they never think about how things get done. They just figure if they throw enough money at the problem, it will magically go away.
FMLA is UNPAID, job protected leave up to 12 weeks for qualified medical and family reasons. It’s been law for nearly 30 years.

Do you know EVRYONE to claim they think they are above blue collar jobs?

Most national home builders folded during the Great Recession. The few majors that survived tread carefully and new developments trend towards higher end than whatever “ affordable” means.

The pandemic QE, in effect, bought interest rates down to stimulate the economy. Nearly everyone who could qualify refinanced their home causing an acute shortage of inventory in many, many markets. We all know what happens where demand is substantially greater than supply. Price rise.

Your punch line implies the post is just another rant about Democrats.

Old 06-22-2022, 12:37 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,657,091 times
Do you think that so many (too many) people nowadays are working minimum wage? (for various reasons) as the norm?

Possible reasons - they did not learn skills to bring them to a higher wage level; they had kids and couldn't continue working/going to school and daycare is more expensive than what they earn?; they thought they could continue to work at Mcdonalds forever not realizing the consequences; they went to college for a degree that is useless now; they cant find a job; not near a job; no transportation to a job; never learned common sense skills that would give them the knowledge of how to do a job interview, including what clothes to wear, what words to speak or not speak; how to carry themselves professionally.

or, they are immigrants, legal or not, that are hiding and cant get a good job; they are of the generation Z that grew up entittled, or expected to win a trophy just for showing up and now they are in the real world and trying to live in a non-reasonable fashion; entitled people who have weird ideas about a better job; they are divorced and now stuck with having to provide for themselves and/or kids; they are homeless; or other reasons.

Old 06-22-2022, 12:55 PM

Trump campaigned in 2015/16 to make Paid Maternity Leave a reality. It became a part of the Trump Admin’s proposed 2018 budget but got no traction.

Congress did however compromise and approve the Federal Employee Paid Leave Act ( FEPLA) in 2019, effective 2020. Federal employees receive 12 weeks paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care of a child. It’s easy to spend other people’s $.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Do you think that so many (too many) people nowadays are working minimum wage? (for various reasons) as the norm?

Possible reasons - they did not learn skills to bring them to a higher wage level; they had kids and couldn't continue working/going to school and daycare is more expensive than what they earn?; they thought they could continue to work at Mcdonalds forever not realizing the consequences; they went to college for a degree that is useless now; they cant find a job; not near a job; no transportation to a job; never learned common sense skills that would give them the knowledge of how to do a job interview, including what clothes to wear, what words to speak or not speak; how to carry themselves professionally.

or, they are immigrants, legal or not, that are hiding and cant get a good job; they are of the generation Z that grew up entittled, or expected to win a trophy just for showing up and now they are in the real world and trying to live in a non-reasonable fashion; entitled people who have weird ideas about a better job; they are divorced and now stuck with having to provide for themselves and/or kids; they are homeless; or other reasons.
According to the Federal Government only 1.5% of earners make the Federal Minimum Wage.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2020/home.htm

29 states, red and blue, have a higher Minimum Wage than the Federal Minimum.

BTW, my local McDonalds pays $15/ hr and still can’t attract enough workers.

The person pushing/ pulling the grocery cart train at Costco is paid at least $18/hr, regardless of state. If permanent part or full time, healthcare benefits are terrific.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can't speak for the country.

All I want is for people to not make terrible decisions and call it "empowering" and mock people for being backwards women haters....then years later, awash in single moms we get more blame for how we aren't treating women right because the outcome of those choices sucks.

P.S. I recognize a host of problems and issues people can run into through no fault of their own. I myself became a single parent via death when they were still in gradeschool. I'm talking about the bulk of the cases where it's a real major problem and the dad is totally not helping.
I dont know that paid maternity/paternity leave or subsidized daycare/preschool is just an issue for those who "made bad decisions". It is an issue that affects married couples and single parent hh via. death and divorce as well. Honestly, I felt like the argument in the article was just entitled whining, but difficulties for, primarily, women trying to juggle work and family definitely do exist. As well I'm not crazy about government involvement in private companies either. I do think tax dollars are spent on much more unimportant things than child care and helping parent to work as opposed to having to go on welfare.

I became a single parent also due to death when mine were 6 and 2. I was working and trying to finish my degree. I dont know what I would have done if not for free childcare from my family and free government run Head Start program, probably would have had to quit and apply for welfare because I would not have been able to find/afford childcare so that I could work.
Was I burned out, exhausted, overworked and over-tired? Darn straight, but that kind of goes with the territory of being a parent.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Someone has to be responsible for the children.

It could also be seen as working mothers are unable to work full time or get any overtime, cant travel and never get vacation days because they use them all for personal days to see to their children's needs. Apparently male employees with children dont want give that up.
I guess its a matter of perspective.
My husband was the stay at home dad, while I worked. It raised some eyebrows at the time.Not so much, anymore.

He coached kids sports ( thankless volunteer position) and was a volunteer Paramedic/ EMT in our community, on call, most nights, when I was not traveling.

We were fortunate to be able to make it work.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My husband was the stay at home dad, while I worked. It raised some eyebrows at the time.Not so much, anymore.

He coached kids sports ( thankless volunteer position) and was a volunteer Paramedic/ EMT in our community, on call, most nights, when I was not traveling.

We were fortunate to be able to make it work.
Yes you were fortunate. As well your situation was not the norm. Generally its mom who takes on the burden of child responsibilities at the expense of her career. In my company over the past 9-10 years, three women left work due to having kids-expensive daycare, and overwhelmed domestic responsibilities.
Why its this way I'm not sure. I live in a rural southern area so religion, tradition perhaps. The believe its a woman's job to care for the home and kids regardless if she has a career/job or not. Maybe moms would rather be the one to do it, IDK.

I think the issue is something that couples do not consider seriously enough when they start thinking of having children.

Old 06-22-2022, 01:37 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,788,118 times
I am with OP on this. While I strongly support FMLA (which is not paid leave, other than pay that the employer has already earned such as sick leave or vacation), I do not support paid leave. Why should just tired parents be paid? What about people recovering from surgery or going through chemo? People take off for many reasons.

FMLA does allegedly protect your job while you are gone, and I do support that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies