Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 01:42 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump campaigned in 2015/16 to make Paid Maternity Leave a reality. It became a part of the Trump Admin’s proposed 2018 budget but got no traction.

Congress did however compromise and approve the Federal Employee Paid Leave Act ( FEPLA) in 2019, effective 2020. Federal employees receive 12 weeks paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care of a child. It’s easy to spend other people’s $.
indeed it is.

And when's the last time a large # of government employees got laid off because of business conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 01:43 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump campaigned in 2015/16 to make Paid Maternity Leave a reality. It became a part of the Trump Admin’s proposed 2018 budget but got no traction.

Congress did however compromise and approve the Federal Employee Paid Leave Act ( FEPLA) in 2019, effective 2020. Federal employees receive 12 weeks paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care of a child. It’s easy to spend other people’s $.
I have a serious problem with this. So the new parent gets 12 weeks paid leave, but the chemo patient is SOL?

Old 06-22-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
My husband worked for private engineering firms and did the 50+ hours a week, weekend work, travel, long drives, etc. until he turned 52. He then opted for a state government job and took a 30 per cent pay cut but did a (mostly) 40-hour week and less travel until he retired. We could afford for him to take the state job because I worked full-time until I retired and we lived below our budget. But I understand that not everyone is in a position to do this.
were you having kids after he turned 52? How old were your kids at that time?

That's what the "subject" of the thread is "because we're working moms and parents we want $$".

Old 06-22-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes that is great but not quite the same as having to be the sole bread winner and parent and trying to keep a full time job when you have to miss work due to kid stuff, sickness, closed daycare, appointments, etc.
and the biggest question becomes "What are the circumstances of them being single parents?"

Quote:
And its not just single women, married women most often take on the responsibility of all or most of that and home and try to hold down a job. That is often why many women leave their jobs.
Would you want men to agree or disagree that the mother provides better emotional support to young kids? "I agree, mothers are better suited for the emotional needs of the kid" = "you're sexist". "I disagree, my wife and I co-parent equally" = "you're lying, women most often have the vast majority of the responsibility"

Quote:
I know in most areas just finding a spot in daycare is hard because there are just not enough openings. And from what I understand the cost often outweighs the benefit of working. What do you think affordable means.
As far as safe, not having to leave your child in a sketchy daycare environment.
Do you ever wonder why there aren't enough openings, or total daycare spaces available? It seems clear that supply (ability to run a daycare at an acceptable profit) and demand (safe vs "high-quality") are misaligned.

What if 4 young moms lived on a street, good friends, with similar-aged pre-K's. 3 of them had "important jobs" and the 4th wanted to be a SAHM or just simply their jobs weren't that high-paying. So the 4th became the "daycare provider", got paid $20/hr plus the others supplied diapers, formula, and snacks. She'd earn $39K a year and they'd pay $1,100 a month.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:08 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
The able-bodied need to put their hands back in their pockets! It is up to the employer to fund their needs if they see fit.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:29 PM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
and the biggest question becomes "What are the circumstances of them being single parents?"

Why is that the biggest question? People are single parents because 1. they had while not in a marriage/committed relationship 2. they divorced and 3. death of a spouse

should rules/policies/law be written on the basis of ones situation or judgement by others?
Quote:

Would you want men to agree or disagree that the mother provides better emotional support to young kids? "I agree, mothers are better suited for the emotional needs of the kid" = "you're sexist". "I disagree, my wife and I co-parent equally" = "you're lying, women most often have the vast majority of the responsibility"
I have no desire to want men to agree or disagree on anything. IMO, both mother and father are a child's parents. One is not better suited to care for their offspring than the other based on sex. None of my business how they co parent, it just is what it is.

Quote:

Do you ever wonder why there aren't enough openings, or total daycare spaces available? It seems clear that supply (ability to run a daycare at an acceptable profit) and demand (safe vs "high-quality") are misaligned.

What if 4 young moms lived on a street, good friends, with similar-aged pre-K's. 3 of them had "important jobs" and the 4th wanted to be a SAHM or just simply their jobs weren't that high-paying. So the 4th became the "daycare provider", got paid $20/hr plus the others supplied diapers, formula, and snacks. She'd earn $39K a year and they'd pay $1,100 a month.
It used to be, not necessarily young SAHM but older women would keep children in their home. Then the government stepped in with laws, regulations and certifications. Not everyone lives on a street with good friends.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times
Quote:
Someone has to be responsible for the children.

It could also be seen as working mothers are unable to work full time or get any overtime, cant travel and never get vacation days because they use them all for personal days to see to their children's needs. Apparently male employees with children dont want give that up.
I guess its a matter of perspective.
And someone has to take up the slack for someone else's choice to have children. That's what you're saying child-free and male employees should do: take up the slack, do overtime, travel, and get last pick of vacation days and holidays because YOU have children and YOU use all your personal days for raising YOUR children, which was YOUR choice.

That's a pretty self-centered perspective.

They probably exist, but I've never met a male employee in the U.S. who wanted to use much paternity leave.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:53 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
That didnt work before why would you think that it would now.
It's still works today but few are lucky enough to get to do it. I did it 30 yrs ago myself. Women should get to work if they want, don't get me wrong, but HAVING TO WORK because two incomes are necessary isn't empowering at all. It's a barrier for many women.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,333 times
Quote:
were you having kids after he turned 52? How old were your kids at that time?

That's what the "subject" of the thread is "because we're working moms and parents we want $$".
My husband and I are child-free, by mutual choice. We both took up the slack for decades when working mothers came in late, left early, got out of overtime and travel, and had the first pick of holidays and vacation days. It affected me more than my husband, because there weren't many women in his engineering field, and those who gave birth often took their paid maternity leave, then quit.

My husband and I know firsthand about working moms who, because they reproduce, make high demands on their companies and co-workers. We were thankful for working moms who didn't expect everyone to cater to their life choices.

Interestingly, the several Asian women (from India, Japan, and China) I worked with didn't exploit their motherhood at the expense of anyone. They were prompt, didn't leave early, worked full days and overtime, and remained pleasant and professional. Their children were exemplary. These woman arranged their professional and private lives in a very satisfactory manner, without complaints, whining, or outstretched hands.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:44 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
One could say they are then not running their business very well.

I wouldn't say that, though, because there are many variables that come into play.

At the end of the day it was/is THEIR choice to work for themselves and their choice to not find a way to provide themselves with the benefits they seek.

The story is an old one. Many farmers know that vacations are non-existent but they work anyway.

The woman in the OP made her choice as well. IMO she can choose to work for someone else where she can have some more benefits. These do not need to be provided by the government.
True. Farmers and seasonal business owners depend on making all their money in a short window so that they can afford to "take off" and cover their bills when closed or times are slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies