Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 02:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,308,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
If these poor women feel burnt out or exhausted from their work, they can either take some time off (on their own dime), or perhaps shack up or come to some sort of "arrangement" with a man (or multiple men) willing and able to support them financially. The last thing we need is more government welfare.
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Paid leave for how long ? Until the kids are 18 and out of the house ?
If you cannot afford kids you should not have had kids.

If you are not married then go hunt down that baby Daddy and have him give you some money.
The courts are on your side.
Bingo…though I’d wager many don’t know who that is without a DNA test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 02:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,322,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like more people in America these days are crying about how bad they have it and how they should be given handouts and all sorts of government assistance, than at any other time in history?

I seriously cannot see our current society ever being able to handle something like World War 2, softer than a soft serve ice cream in the middle of a hot summer day.

https://massesmedia.com/politics/we-...-capitol-hill/
the article and the hearing are a microcosm of everything that's wrong with media and the Dems. Lord help us that the R's win in November so we don't see crap like this scheduled again.

What is a single mother of a yr old, that's also a business owner, expect to benefit from "paid leave for all" (if we're talking maternity benefits). In her case, even if we were talking some system of PTO (for sick days), who does she think is going to pay hers?

what changed between November 2019 and November 2021 to make "child care costs" an item the Federal Government should be involved? Is the supply (ie, number of open daycares) down significantly or something?

And why were one-time pandemic benefits somehow seen as permanent?

Quote:
are left without the same pandemic-era benefits that had once helped them scrape by, since the enhanced child tax credit, a federally mandated paid-leave program, and expanded unemployment benefits have all since expired, despite an increased cost of living.
And what is this "federally-mandated paid leave program"? And what would unemployment benefits have to do with someone who works?

Old 06-17-2022, 02:24 PM

3,136 posts, read 1,786,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like more people in America these days are crying about how bad they have it and how they should be given handouts and all sorts of government assistance, than at any other time in history?

I seriously cannot see our current society ever being able to handle something like World War 2, softer than a soft serve ice cream in the middle of a hot summer day.

https://massesmedia.com/politics/we-...-capitol-hill/
It's not just you. I work at a major tech company and it's unreal how lazy people are. They whine and whine and whine. We have so much time off, yet people want more. I'm all for work/life balance, but this company is giving too much life. The only reason they can do this is because they make huge profits, otherwise, they'd not be this generous.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:28 PM

3,136 posts, read 1,786,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

Women wanted all these opportunities - now they have them - deal with it!
Exactly! My wife and I made a trip to Japan. She considers herself a feminist, although not nearly as radical as most. She kept remarking how rude it was that the Japanese men would often push in front of women to get into the trains. Ha! Such irony. I thought men and women were equal? If so why should they be let on first?

Old 06-17-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Thinking the very same thing!
Should be up to the individual companies to decide, let the market decide if it is worth it or not. By the way, my experience with FMLA is exactly the same as sholomar, it is abused in the worst way. I can just imagine how it would be if folks didn't lose a paycheck while they were on it!
Personally, I think we're going to need some type of PTO, so that folks aren't bringing their flu etal to work. 78% already do. For the others, current businesses pay $0.45/hr for this "benefit"

https://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/factshee...sick-leave.htm

The problem with it, as it is with "paid post-pregnancy leave", is that the recipients are just selfish and never consider the overall cost - they just think THEY should keep getting paid. Not smart enough to consider that somebody actually has to pay. If it's short-term, the employer is essentially just not paying for production.

But when a new mom thinks she should get 6 months or even a year (and I've seen advocates proclaim 2 years!) - and rarely do they believe it's at 50 or 75%, no they're thinking full bay and benefits - there's no consideration that the employer has to employ someone new to do the work. And then, that mom expects her old job back and the advocates want to whine about equal pay.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
But in those days, people didnt have to deal with all that we have to today, there is a huge difference in the two time periods.

If you compare the minimum wage of today, (that has remained the same at the federal level for far too long), with the average pay and COL back then, its much tougher today.
an incredibly low # of > 22 yr old folks work full-time for minimum wage. Hell, my kids are doing summer h=jobs that would have been minimum wage in the past and getting paid $18/hr+.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,056,077 times
There is a much easier, more efficient way to solve this issue

Women can just go back to being housewives, cleaning and doing the laundry for their man. And then shopping for food and cooking it

The man will do all the bread winning.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:37 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,308,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There is a much easier, more efficient way to solve this issue

Women can just go back to being housewives, cleaning and doing the laundry for their man. And then shopping for food and cooking it

The man will do all the bread winning.

There’s always a choice

Old 06-17-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
FMLA is not paid leave.
no, it's not.

But many employers give paid leave under the guise of it.

Many employers give 6+ weeks paid maternity leave, and for complainers that's simply not enough. But those complainers will never tell you how many new middle/upper-middle class women take their full paid leave, and then *magically* decide to not go back to work. Do some truly have a change of heart suddenly that 6th week? Sure. But more know to the day when the maternity pay runs out (and PTO if they have that) and then announce they're "retiring".

Old 06-17-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So thus far it appears to be mostly men, whom I will assume have/are not working full time and the sole or primary caretaker of children and domestic and who have never given birth
could be, but I bet many of us have children that we support emotionally and financially and as caregivers, whether "equal" or not.

Quote:
, that feel parents should not have access to safe affordable daycare or afforded leave time after giving birth and post partum recovery.
Define, thoroughly, safe and affordable daycare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies