Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 03:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I never have either, and am surprised they're even on extremely athletic biker's pedals.

It's dangerous not to be able to quickly get your feet down on the pavement, regardless if it gives you a little extra speed.

I'm on a FB page for people who ride (many more miles a year than I do) who use them. I don't. When I had my 12-speed touring bike with the skinny 1-1/2" tires (that bike got burned up in a house fire in 2015 ) I was averaging 13-15 MPH on rides in excess of 20 miles, and that's without cages.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:06 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Have you also fallen 3 times while trying to move up a flight of stairs and then blamed the wind for pushing you?
I think we're talking about bikes here, not stairs. But yes, I used to fall up stairs quite a bit. As a matter of fact I used to fall a lot when I was younger. Thank goodness, I don't anymore.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:08 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You all know it was just a matter of time before Biden crashed that bike. If he had actually been moving when he crashed he could have gotten badly hurt and he could have injured anyone in his path.
He crashed? I thought he fell getting off.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:17 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I rethought using them about 20 seconds after first putting my feet into them the first time last year.

I thought it was a trap the first time I saw that thing on bike pedals. Like literally - that's how your leg can be caught, if you need to get of the bike quickly/if you are flying off of it.

I mean with stirrups on the horse saddle this can happen too, but stirrups are a necessary thing - I can understand that.

Why on Earth Mr. Biden wanted to add an unnecessary hazard to his bike is a mystery to me.

But then, again, he is trying to run where he can just walk at a slower pace and no one would blame him.

This would look better than tripping all over the place.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:20 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He crashed? I thought he fell getting off.
He and the bike both clattered hard to the ground in a cloud of glory, making the crowd gasp!

Old 06-19-2022, 03:22 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I thought it was a trap the first time I saw that thing on bike pedals. Like literally - that's how your leg can be caught, if you need to get of the bike quickly/if you are flying off of it.

I mean with stirrups on the horse saddle this can happen too, but it's a necessary thing - I can understand that.

Why on Earth Mr. Biden wanted to add an unnecessary hazard to his bike is a mystery to me.

But then, again, he is trying to run where he can just walk at a slower pace and no one would blame him.

It's one more example of Biden's exceedingly poor judgement.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:

I mean with stirrups on the horse saddle this can happen too, but stirrups are a necessary thing - I can understand that.

The difference with stirrups is that your feet are not fastened into them. Your feet should only be inserted up to the balls of your feet, your heels are supposed to be down, and you NEVER wear boots or shoes without heels high enough to keep your feet from sliding all the way through.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:36 PM

18,443 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
the only explanation that makes any sense....is he was having trouble keeping his feet on the pedals

...he's not riding some 100 mile race where he might actually need them

Old 06-19-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The difference with stirrups is that your feet are not fastened into them. Your feet should only be inserted up to the balls of your feet, your heels are supposed to be down, and you NEVER wear boots or shoes without heels high enough to keep your feet from sliding all the way through.

I know, but still there are cases when people get caught in one of them when falling of the horse.

So why take an unnecessary risk with the bike?

Old 06-19-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
the only explanation that makes any sense....is he was having trouble keeping his feet on the pedals

...he's not riding some 100 mile race where he might actually need them

That's what I thought.
So yeah..
Poor judgment - that's what it looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies