Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 06:48 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
....part of the problem is shortage of airport workers but the pilot shortage is due in a large part to Biden edict that in order to be a pilot you need 1500 hours of training (at your own expense) versus 250 hours, which the average person can't afford.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...rs-for-pilots/
Biden didn't change the 1,500 hour rule for pilots. The 1,500 hour rule was in place all through Trump's term and there was pressure for Trump to reduce the 1,500 hour rule, but Trump didn't reverse it and neither did Biden. Your link above shows it was in place during Trump's administration.

Last edited by Variable; 06-20-2022 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 06:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/18/econo...nth/index.html

You cant fly, everything is getting cancelled, you cant drive, its too expensive.. Can we teleport?
Hyperbole much?

EVERYTHING is NOT getting cancelled.

Some seem challenged to distinguish between some and many and most and all.

As it relates to flying, the impact of domestic and global pilot shortage substantially predates Covid. It’s the aging of the workforce, certainly not limited to airlines.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:52 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
In Biden world, everyone works. The lowest number of unemployment claims since December 1969.
Because they've all used up their unemployment benefits and don't qualify for new ones since they have not worked lately.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:53 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Lack of employees. With our recent rowdy entitled Karen’s I wouldnt jump on a plane unless they allowed me a taser or a cow prodder. Not worth it.
yes, this is why I was seriously considering driving across the country to see my sister. The idea of flying with what's happening now is just not appealing to me. But I may have to.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Biden didn't change the 1,500 hour rule for pilots. The 1,500 hour rule was in place all through Trump's term and there was pressure for Trump to reduce the 1,500 hour rule, but Trump didn't reverse it and neither did Biden. Your link above shows it was in place during Trump's administration.
Some people seem to view everything through a partisan lens and dismiss facts that don’t validate their perceptions. It’s bipartisan.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:19 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Sometimes it depends on where the flights are. New York City La Guardia cancelled 25% of their flights - of course the New Jersey trains also stopped running because the Unions pulled a Sick Out because of Juneteenth. I bet a lot of pilots live in New .Jersey.
They couldn’t get to work, flight attendants couldn’t get to work.

It’s a total mess all over the USA — driving, flying, trains/subways.
We made the correct choice this summer — hunker down .
I don't get why people would choose to fly right now. I get if its an emergency or required by work.

If you want a vacation find the nicest spot a few hours drive from you. Book a nice hotel and spend a few days there away from it all. You will get just as much out of it, save some money and all the grief.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't get why people would choose to fly right now. I get if its an emergency or required by work.

If you want a vacation find the nicest spot a few hours drive from you. Book a nice hotel and spend a few days there away from it all. You will get just as much out of it, save some money and all the grief.
If you want a vacation on the other side of the country - you fly.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:50 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some people seem to view everything through a partisan lens and dismiss facts that don’t validate their perceptions. It’s bipartisan.
When were you bipartisan on Trump? Show us just one post of yours in the past where you were not posting something negative on him.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:50 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
They fired a bunch of pilots when people stopped flying with COVID. Now they're scaling back up but pilots aren't burger flips.

Flying for the discount airlines was pretty crap even before so there were existing shortages already. Fire a bunch of them and then stop training for a year and a half, predictable result ensues.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They fired a bunch of pilots when people stopped flying with COVID. Now they're scaling back up but pilots aren't burger flips.

Flying for the discount airlines was pretty crap even before so there were existing shortages already. Fire a bunch of them and then stop training for a year and a half, predictable result ensues.
You rememer this but seem to forget that the airlines fired a bunch of pilots and everyone else necessary to run an airline because of Biden’s vaccine mandates. Funny how Leftists have selective memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies