Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 09:03 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Eh, just something we have to accept while living in this messed up Joe Biden world.
Joe Biden is responsible for everything that happens in the world. It’s true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 09:06 AM

6,773 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Joe Biden is responsible for everything that happens in the world. It’s true.
Pretty much. Everything that he and his inept administration touch, turns to crap.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:08 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Airlines created their own vaccine mandates long before Biden's mandates. Look at you twisting into a pretzel to blame Biden.
Quote:
Airlines are considered government contractors under Mr. Biden's federal vaccine plan. On Thursday, Mr. Biden thanked United for being the first of at least six carriers to implement a COVID vaccine mandate
Quote:
The Administration has previously implemented policies requiring millions of federal employees and federal contractors to be fully vaccinated.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-1...ajor-airlines/

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...tion-policies/

Old 06-20-2022, 09:47 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
In April things weren't so good either. The takeoff of our plane from SFO to JFK was delayed a few hours, As we approached JFK we had to circle because "wind shear." The plane had too little fuel to land so had to go to Boston's Logan Airport to refuel and come back. a 9:30 p.m. turned into 3:30 a.m.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:52 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
...The current service cut narrative, they claim, is being used by companies to justify a cut to training and safety requirements that will boost profit margins...
And that is why I don't fly. I've watched too many air crash videos that reveal the cause of the crash was due to the above.

One was Alaska Airlines going from Mexico to San Francisco, and then to Seattle. That's the flight where they were flying upside down off the coast of CA, before the plane plummeted into the ocean, killing everyone. The crash was caused by a part in the tail section that a whistle blower brought up several times before the company black balled him, because they were more concerned about profits.

The above quoted should give people pause.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:55 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
^^

Three Wolves in Snow -- What is the link or source for the above quote? Thanks.

P.S. I hadn't heard about the Alaska Airlines crash. Those poor people must have been absolutely terrified. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...nes_Flight_261

Old 06-20-2022, 10:06 AM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Contractors are contractors.

Airlines like most businesses are extremely shortsighted. They saw the drop in demand combined with an easy way to fire some staff while possibly getting some more of that sweet, sweet fed pie and jumped at the opportunity as win-win. They were jumping at the opportunity to exceed the fed contractor requirements and put them in place long before they needed to because, well, of course they'd get bailed out as they did. All about maximizing shareholder return. When business goes down you beg for bailouts and fire staff. When business goes back up and you don't have resources for it then you beg for more bailouts. Risk free business model.

I pretty much called that one. With the vax thing being pretty strongly partisan and a huge number of new anti-vaxxers coming from the Trump supporters who don't want to take Trump's vaccine, it was pretty obvious that employers putting vax requirements in place could result in staffing issues. Of course in the case of airlines as previously stated they viewed that as win-win. They wanted to downsize anyway as people stopped flying with COVID. Short Sighted but well, we're talking about airlines. They've been running themselves into the ground and existing off government bailouts before this. They've been rewarded for going bankrupt before and thus they will continue to behave until they stop getting bailed out for failing.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:19 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My friend is a pilot for United. He said part of the problem is shortage of airport workers but the pilot shortage is due in a large part to Biden edict that in order to be a pilot you need 1500 hours of training (at your own expense) versus 250 hours, which the average person can't afford.

https://thehill.com/policy/transport...rs-for-pilots/

AFA international flights due to the inability to flyover Ukraine/Russia air space, it doubles the flight time and requires more than one pilot.
The 1500 hours is not a Biden edict. That's been in place for some time, as stated in the article, having been put into place in 2013 as a response to the Colgan Air crash in 2009. Personally, I don't have an issue with that requirement. Flying airplanes is an endeavor where more practice is always better.

All airline flights have more than one pilot. The closure of airspace in Ukraine and Russia may require some flights to have two sets of pilots and additional flight attendants.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:25 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In April things weren't so good either. The takeoff of our plane from SFO to JFK was delayed a few hours, As we approached JFK we had to circle because "wind shear." The plane had too little fuel to land so had to go to Boston's Logan Airport to refuel and come back. a 9:30 p.m. turned into 3:30 a.m.
Circling due to wind shear is a good thing. Planes crash because of wind sheer. Here are a couple of examples. One in Dallas, one in New Orleans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_...nes_Flight_191

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_759

Old 06-20-2022, 11:36 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
^^

Three Wolves in Snow -- What is the link or source for the above quote? Thanks.

P.S. I hadn't heard about the Alaska Airlines crash. Those poor people must have been absolutely terrified. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska...nes_Flight_261
I lived in Seattle at the time, and still had TV back then. Once we all found out the true cause, I decided I would no longer fly.

Finding out that a whistle blower had come forward, had been trying to tell the company for a long time that things weren't being done properly, that they were 'short cutting' (trying to save costs) mechanical procedures, AND that they tried to convince the pilot to continue on to SF instead of an emergency stop at LAX because he didn't want to upset the schedules of other flights (meaning they would still make profit) was enough for me.

I pointed that part out of the OP's quoted piece because people need to know that's what is being said. They are more concerned about profits, not so much about you, the passenger. It has happened, it will happen again.

Flying with a bunch of...someone called them the Homer Simpsons - is bad enough. Justifying cut training and safety equipment is not acceptable. Don't blindly trust these companies.

As for what I quoted, it's in the quoted part in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies