Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is Disney's Lightyear drastically underperforming estimates at the boxoffice?
It will be on Disney+ soon enough, like other recent Pixar films. 12 10.34%
Gay content. 65 56.03%
Republicans in general are boycotting Disney over culture war issues, and Republicans are half the country. 23 19.83%
Inflation is making families think twice about going to the movies. 16 13.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 04:42 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Multiple factors.

- Toy Story doesn't have the same following with this generation as it did with previous generations.
- Kids today have many more distractions.
- The first-gen kids are 20ish now and they feel as though the Toy Story has been told with a satisfying conclusion (Toy Story 4).
- The parents of the first-gen kids feel as though the Toy Story has been told with a satisfying conclusion (Toy Story 4).
- Some parents don't want to have to explain why two women are kissing.
- Some parents hate homosexuals.
- Some parents believe it is inappropriate to introduce homosexual characters in kid-focused movies.
- Some movie-goers are concerned about COVID case increases.
- COVID restrictions??? (not sure about this one, but maybe...)
- Chris Evans said that he would have to "cut ties" with Trump supporters. Trump supporters may have chosen to "cut ties" with Chris Evans.

And probably the most important reason of all - Tim Allen is Buzz Lightyear.
It's not a "Toy Story" movie. SMH

Quote:
This is not a story about the Toy Story (1995) action figure, but the "movie" that exists within the universe that spawned the toy.
"Lightyear" (2022)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 05:09 AM

12 posts, read 17,477 times
Can't speak for other people but, for my wife and I, it's a combination of the lesbian kiss + gas price. This is the third Disney movie in a row that pushes the LGBTQ++ agenda. Eternals and Doctor Strange 2 are rated PG+, but but Lightyear is rated G and aims at families with young children, and all I've been reading online and in news is about how Lightyear has been banned in countries due to a lesbian kiss scene. Knowing that in advance, we're just not gonna take our kids to Lightyear and deliberately expose them to that kind of content, especially because gas and going out and everything is so expensive right now.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:45 AM

7,927 posts, read 3,469,281 times
I'm not sure a lesbian kiss would keep too many people away or if it would just fail to lure people in to an otherwise mediocre sounding movie. People don't watch shows or movies that they are not already interested in just to show their support for the whole inclusion thing. Make a movie that is appealing in its own right and add a little inclusion without fanfare and you'll see a better result.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:58 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
I haven't seen the movie, but it seems petty to boycott a movie cartoon, because a character is gay. Gay people exist. It doesn't hurt anyone that they exist.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:04 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
There's plenty of gay stuff on the internet for people who are interested in that sort of thing. Why spend you money?

Old 06-19-2022, 06:06 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I haven't seen the movie, but it seems petty to boycott a movie cartoon, because a character is gay. Gay people exist. It doesn't hurt anyone that they exist.
But immature children tend to mimic behavior they observe... good or bad.
It's why it's considered "impolite" to engage in "censored adult behavior" in public view - even if on your own property.

So it's reasonable to NOT expose children to behaviors that are inappropriate for their age and level of maturity.
- - -
If you feel otherwise, then please do not object when a carnivore brings his / her fur coat into a vegetarian restaurant.
Or complain when someone brings "unclean" items into a Halal restaurant.
Or wears a MAGA hat to a Democrat convention...

Old 06-19-2022, 06:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
FACT- we would have taken our grandson’s to this movie last night if it wouldn’t have been for the gay content. It’s sad when I feel I don’t want to cross a line with my kids by taking their kids to a so called “kids movie” that is pushing an agenda. So we played UNO instead.

Disney’s choice.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:11 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
But immature children tend to mimic behavior they observe... good or bad.
It's why it's considered "impolite" to engage in "censored adult behavior" in public view - even if on your own property.

So it's reasonable to NOT expose children to behaviors that are inappropriate for their age and level of maturity.
Being gay is neither "good" or "bad." It just is. It is no more good or bad than having blue or brown eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If you feel otherwise, then please do not object when a carnivore brings his / her fur coat into a vegetarian restaurant.
Or complain when someone brings "unclean" items into a Halal restaurant.
Or wears a MAGA hat to a Democrat convention...
I am a vegetarian. I don't care if you eat meat while wearing fur. You have that right.

I don't know much about Halal to be honest.

I do NOT like Trump, but some of the best humans I know voted for him. I don't care if you wear a Trump hat, that is your right. I don't care if you wear a Trump hat into my house. I think the problem is too many see just the worst aspects of the people in the opposite party instead of the best aspects. Meanwhile, we see the best aspects within our own party and ignore our own party's failings.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:13 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
I think a few people put more emphasis on individual sexuality than most people even care about. I am of the general opinion that most of these "anti-gay" people have some kind of sexual hang ups and deviations behind closed doors so they compensate by degrading others.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:21 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I think a few people put more emphasis on individual sexuality than most people even care about. I am of the general opinion that most of these "anti-gay" people have some kind of sexual hang ups and deviations behind closed doors so they compensate by degrading others.
Of course we are the ones with problems who want to shield our little ones from being exposed to gay content before it’s time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies