Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 12:44 AM

33,342 posts, read 12,498,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
I agree with this 110%^^^

One of the things I taught my kids while they were growing up is that it is important to contribute to society. To serve a purpose beyond turning oxygen into Co2. Try to make the world a better place and help those less fortunate when you can.

I have a son who professionally writes and records his own music and records and teaches music for others. I have a daughter who creates art both professionally and for others gratis. My youngest girl is studying radiology tech and is working towards that career. My younger boy is special needs and requires constant observation but even he donates his time helping two of the local handicapped services. Myself, I donate my time once a month to my local food kitchen and twice a month to my favorite no kill animal shelter. The only person in my life that knows I do these things is my girlfriend. I do not want recognition. I do it because it gives me a sense of purpose.

I'm adamant here on this board about how I feel about Democrats and their policies but I help Democrats/Republicans/Independents and those who simply don't care about politics at all every single day of my life either at work or in my private life.

Make a difference.
Given the above, it boggles my mind that you support someone as amoral and lacking in character as Trump.

And no, Biden's and Democrat's amorality and lack of character isn't relevant, as not voting for Trump wouldn't require voting for Biden, nor any other Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 12:47 AM

33,342 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I agree until politics is discussed. There was a time when family, friends and co-workers could agree to disagree... but not anymore. Today political conversations get heated and heated fast.

Yep.

Hillary, Biden, and Trump have helped make that less likely.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:30 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
And that is another thing.. do the citizens of the USA turn against each other because there is no greater enemy to fight? We are at the top... have been for a while... and slowly, we turn against each other?
Lack of common culture(huge one), self-entitled attitudes, an abundance of materialism, disillusioned by the internet, and simply downright ignorance all seem to be contributing factors.
This all seems to create a general air of mistrust.
Being at the top for so long has also created enemies bent to divide us from within.
Racism is created by only 2 things, fear and ignorance; and it starts with such simple behaviors as store owners treating patrons on different levels.
This was the complaint I(being white)was given by my black friend the other day. Only said store owner was Asian.
Honestly, I feel some are being conditioned to feel victimized(media driven); which is fairly easy when they actually were in the past.
What do you think is contributing?

Old 06-20-2022, 05:59 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
What do you think is contributing?
So much.

1. Relaxation of manners / social norms. There is no greater belief system in place any longer to make anyone not proceed with their base emotions in charge of how they proceed.

2. The internet. Twitter / Discuss etc... gets people to get into a place where people can say exactly what they want and "win" by forcing the other person to be banned. I think it is toxic.. I mean when we didn't have this, we probably didn't indulge those thoughts.

3. The government. Is using this base desire to cause pain to stay in power. By inflicting pain on the "other side" they gain points with their own side. This also keeps the anger away from them. We have to stop it.

4. The media. They are a massive issue. They not longer report news, they just try to stir up a side for clicks... this is a major problem and I am afraid someone has to call this out and end it. If that means "censorship" that is what it means.

5. Life is difficult. There is pressure and anger because things are getting worse and this provides the way to lash out. One person's meanness inspires someone else to lash out and so on and so forth.

6. I am going to say it...it is the liberals. Conservatives, by their very nature, just want to live and let live. They are conservatives. They want to be left alone. Liberals want to be "progressive" and they want to be activists... so they have that in their nature. They expect it to be part of their lives. If they don't have a reason to protest, they will find one. They need to do some soul searching and ask themselves if what they think is really true? And if they are being manipulated.

One reason I am not so much for splitting up the country is that we don't need to. We need to just take our power back and not be manipulated. If we are manipulated now.... splitting up the country will just allow for the manipulation in that new country.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:44 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,066,841 times
There are people who earn large sums of money spending their time figuring out how to get people to believe a specific issue in a specific way. Probably more than any of us know.

Wedge issues created to divide people are sponsored by anybody who can do it. Madison avenue is the starting place in the USA.

The modern day political consultant fund raiser honed it to a fine art. IDK the current process but they used to get a cut of what they raised and then another cut when they placed the ads.

People are only as divided as they want to be. The glass is half full or half empty.

I chose to see my fellow Americans having a different point of view as having the same rights, duties and motives that I have. I decide they are are not an evil enemy because they have a different life experience thus POV.

Meaness and cruelty IMO maybe human nature. Thoughtful people do not allow it to thrive.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:37 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
So much.
3. The government. Is using this base desire to cause pain to stay in power. By inflicting pain on the "other side" they gain points with their own side. This also keeps the anger away from them. We have to stop it.

Hate can only be overcome with love, kindness, and compassion.
These are learned behaviors and attitudes our immoral politicians do not practice, and therefore; are setting poor examples.
We stop it by electing better leaders, having term limits on dinosaurs holding Congressional seats for decades. Wouldn't that be fun, Congress voting on their own term limits.
Sometimes, there are Constitutional issues that need to be circumvented.
In this case, it's a conflict of interest; we should all be voting on this in 24'.
That stupid stunt on 1/6 only made matters worse, and encouraged those foreign powers their tactics are working...divide and conquer.

I am reminded of a line from a movie I just watched on race relations, entitled Remember the Titans with Denzel Washington:
"Attitude is a reflection of leadership".
I certainly agree with your other 5 points, but chose this one as change starts from the top.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,391 times
People are tribal at the end of the day.

I mean just take a look at sports team fandoms lmao...

Old 06-21-2022, 04:46 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
I am starting to think the liberal / conservative thing is just really possibly about human beings want to hurt each other. Perhaps that is in our nature and until now we had things blunting it. For instance societal pressure. You would be shunned if you were not a gentleman. Or Religion... you were taught to be kind. Civil society was something that kept this base need to hurt other humans in check.

….

Even like Roe v. Wade. I will admit it.. I look forward to it, because I look forward to mentally hurting the liberals... I am sure if honest, everyone would have an issue that did that to the other side.

But it isn't just politics... it is everything. Everyplace I go people are just jerks if they can be.. with a seeming desire to hurt people being at the heart of it.
No. It’s the literal psychological and neurological difference between conservatives and liberals. Conservatives are offense, liberals defense. Conservatives think people mostly bad, liberals think mostly good. Conservatives angry and paranoid, liberals depressed and anxious.

Liberals don’t enjoy hurting others as much as conservatives. It’s less an “us against them.”

No liberal is happy that women and girls will now be dying from unsafe abortions. No liberal is happy that a “baby” has to die because someone can’t afford to take care of them, yet they understand that it has to happen in many cases. Statistics show it’s usually due to finances or partner abuse.

That’s why there is no meme about “owning the conservatives.” It’s not something they generally think about in the same way.

The libs who want better gun control want it to stop others from hurting. They are not actively trying to hurt conservatives despite popular conservative opinion.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
No. It’s the literal psychological and neurological difference between conservatives and liberals. Conservatives are offense, liberals defense. Conservatives think people mostly bad, liberals think mostly good. Conservatives angry and paranoid, liberals depressed and anxious.
No it is the opposite.

Liberals want to be activists and control people. That is not what the USA is founded on. They want to change this country into something it wasn't founded upon.

Conservatives want to live in the USA and don't want it to change. They want to live and let live.

I blame liberals for being too lazy to find and start another country.

Even with Roe, this probably wouldn't be on the table at all except that the liberals declared war on Trump. Conservatives had to respond in kind.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Hate can only be overcome with love, kindness, and compassion.
I don't think so. I think it has to be overcome with logic and restraint.

We need the 1960s Star Trek to play on a loop for people. In particular Spock. No emotions and logic. There needs to be an acceptance that this "war" doesn't advance the ball for anyone. And it is hurting everyone. Those who continue it and perpetuate it should be shut down... it is just logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies