Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 07:05 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

We are an unhappy bunch. The Kardashian’s mindset has all of us thinking we are dirt and who is keeping us from living “da life” we feel robbed, in some cases we are, the prices of Rent n gas is financial rape, and harder work for less n less. Now the tomato soup can is the size of a yogurt. The politicians just point fingers but do nothing to fix anything. We are in a toxic and dysfunctional era right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 07:37 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
America is becoming meaner for a bunch of reasons. The middle class is slipping down into poverty. Suburbanization causes social isolation, which became a bit more severe with the recent lockdowns and a new wave of evacuation out of cities. Public school is a generally horrible experience, very similar to prison, scarring entire generations of kids. Many people are mentally hiding in foxholes or escape spaces and randomly shooting at anything scary.

Violent partisan loyalty is gang membership. People join gangs for protection and fellowship.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Do you have some inside knowledge that we don't ?

Welfare recipients getgtin gas cards that entitle them to a certain number of gallons of gas ?
I can tell you, this does happen. (Its not really allowed), but it depends on what the cashier rings up, whether their assistance card will pay for it or not,(and what they ring up, is not necessarily what the customer is buying).

We have seen some cashiers doing this to 'help' those, they think are in dire straits financially. Its a sneaky tactic that is tough to spot, but it does happen regularly.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:21 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am starting to think the liberal / conservative thing is just really possibly about human beings want to hurt each other. Perhaps that is in our nature and until now we had things blunting it. For instance societal pressure. You would be shunned if you were not a gentleman. Or Religion... you were taught to be kind. Civil society was something that kept this base need to hurt other humans in check.

But now I see with the loosing of these safeguards it all come down to a real desire to hurt other people... mentally, emotionally, physically.

Sometimes I get on the road with a Karen and they refuse to go close to the speedlimit. IMHO, this is a way of hurting others... they know they need to be someplace and they drive like that out of a passive aggressive need to be in control and hurt others.

Go to a parking lot, someone will park crooked and take up two places.

The over insanity of rules... I used to have a co worker in retail who always over did the rules to insane degrees.. and I used to think it was her way of lashing out at people / and feeling very powerful.. now stupid rules like "you must answer if you are pregnant to donate blood" -- even if you are a man... is just a way to upset someone through the use of insane rules.

Even like Roe v. Wade. I will admit it.. I look forward to it, because I look forward to mentally hurting the liberals... I am sure if honest, everyone would have an issue that did that to the other side.

But it isn't just politics... it is everything. Everyplace I go people are just jerks if they can be.. with a seeming desire to hurt people being at the heart of it.

short answer: yes

social media made a game out of hurting someone - even if just emotionally - such that you can do it and score reps (likes) by being severe about it. even here, isnt a troll simply someone who decides to target someone they dont know, never met, and somehow insult them in front of others for their own gratification?

politically? hell ya....look at EVERY policy held by the current admin...the goal is achieved if and only if someone else is harmed in some way. any subject, any topic.

remove consequences for bad behaviour and well, here we are.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:43 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times
Quote:
No it is the opposite.

Liberals want to be activists and control people. That is not what the USA is founded on. They want to change this country into something it wasn't founded upon.

Conservatives want to live in the USA and don't want it to change. They want to live and let live.

I blame liberals for being too lazy to find and start another country.

Even with Roe, this probably wouldn't be on the table at all except that the liberals declared war on Trump. Conservatives had to respond in kind.
How is overturning Roe "responding in kind?" What do you think Conservatives stand to gain from ending Roe? Is it just about making people suffer?

Last edited by kj1065; 06-22-2022 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 11:09 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
I am starting to think the liberal / conservative thing is just really possibly about human beings want to hurt each other. Perhaps that is in our nature and until now we had things blunting it. For instance societal pressure. You would be shunned if you were not a gentleman. Or Religion... you were taught to be kind. Civil society was something that kept this base need to hurt other humans in check.

But now I see with the loosing of these safeguards it all come down to a real desire to hurt other people... mentally, emotionally, physically.

Sometimes I get on the road with a Karen and they refuse to go close to the speedlimit. IMHO, this is a way of hurting others... they know they need to be someplace and they drive like that out of a passive aggressive need to be in control and hurt others.

Go to a parking lot, someone will park crooked and take up two places.

The over insanity of rules... I used to have a co worker in retail who always over did the rules to insane degrees.. and I used to think it was her way of lashing out at people / and feeling very powerful.. now stupid rules like "you must answer if you are pregnant to donate blood" -- even if you are a man... is just a way to upset someone through the use of insane rules.

Even like Roe v. Wade. I will admit it.. I look forward to it, because I look forward to mentally hurting the liberals... I am sure if honest, everyone would have an issue that did that to the other side.

But it isn't just politics... it is everything. Everyplace I go people are just jerks if they can be.. with a seeming desire to hurt people being at the heart of it.
There's no denying that there is an air of incivility (at least in politics among non-moderates) these days, and I doubt we would agree on where it stems from, but....

There's an old saying "If you encounter an a-hole in the morning, you've encountered an a-hole. If you encounter a-holes all day, maybe you're the a-hole"

If one feels everyone is out to hurt them, they might want to reflect on what they might be doing to get vibe from people.

I live in Chicago, which is vilified on this board constantly as some dystopian hellhole, but somehow a vast majority of my interactions with people of all stripes here are civil to pleasant. Might have something to do with the way that I treat them?
Go figure.

Old 06-22-2022, 12:15 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
. Might have something to do with the way that I treat them?
Go figure.

You are the one holding the machine gun?

Old 06-22-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
You are the one holding the machine gun?
No machine gun necessary. Just treating people respectfully, and like actual human beings coupled with my amazing charm and charisma (and modesty)

Old 06-22-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So much.

1. Relaxation of manners / social norms. There is no greater belief system in place any longer to make anyone not proceed with their base emotions in charge of how they proceed.

2. The internet. Twitter / Discuss etc... gets people to get into a place where people can say exactly what they want and "win" by forcing the other person to be banned. I think it is toxic.. I mean when we didn't have this, we probably didn't indulge those thoughts.

3. The government. Is using this base desire to cause pain to stay in power. By inflicting pain on the "other side" they gain points with their own side. This also keeps the anger away from them. We have to stop it.

4. The media. They are a massive issue. They not longer report news, they just try to stir up a side for clicks... this is a major problem and I am afraid someone has to call this out and end it. If that means "censorship" that is what it means.

5. Life is difficult. There is pressure and anger because things are getting worse and this provides the way to lash out. One person's meanness inspires someone else to lash out and so on and so forth.

6. I am going to say it...it is the liberals. Conservatives, by their very nature, just want to live and let live. They are conservatives. They want to be left alone. Liberals want to be "progressive" and they want to be activists... so they have that in their nature. They expect it to be part of their lives. If they don't have a reason to protest, they will find one. They need to do some soul searching and ask themselves if what they think is really true? And if they are being manipulated.

One reason I am not so much for splitting up the country is that we don't need to. We need to just take our power back and not be manipulated. If we are manipulated now.... splitting up the country will just allow for the manipulation in that new country.
Live and let live? Please. You've admitted to supporting things out of sheer spite and then you say this utter nonsense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies