Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 12:55 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I don't get these people that seem so cavalier about having animals around their infants and little kids. There's plenty enough YouTube videos of little kids with large and powerful breeds of dogs that make me cringe.

https://people.com/human-interest/fa...-maul-toddler/

Quote:
A 2-year-old girl has a long road to recovery after she was mauled by a pack of her family's puppies.

Little Felicity was outside with mom Sierra Michele Peden, her dad Michael, and her three siblings, Samantha, 13, Daisy, 10, and Daryl, 1, doing yard work in preparation for a "housewarming party/double birthday bash" earlier in June, along with the family's four 12-week-old puppies, according to an update written on GoFundMe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:58 AM

1,744 posts, read 877,932 times
More like "Parental Stupidity Syndrome." So people just shouldn't have kids if they can't be bothered to watch them when they are in the yard.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:34 AM

23,845 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't get these people that seem so cavalier about having animals around their infants and little kids. There's plenty enough YouTube videos of little kids with large and powerful breeds of dogs that make me cringe.
I can tell that you've never had a good dog. I can't really imagine what kind of life you must've had to be able to write that. It's very, very different from mine, that's for sure.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:38 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

https://people.com/human-interest/fa...-maul-toddler/
My rule always was, put my dog in the bedroom if any young children came to visit. One never knows if your dog is having a bad day and children might do something that the dog does not like, such as handing the dog the wrong way. Kids will be kids and we must protect them.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:15 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
They had the four puppies for three weeks at the time and the puppies were 12 weeks old. This meant they purposefully got four dogs at one time. That is too many dogs at once, especially given that they were a bonded pack. If the child was perceived to be hurting one puppy it would be instinctual for the other three to attack the child, which is I gather what happened. Regardless, why on Earth would anyone adopt four dogs at once?

The article did not mention the breed of dog, interestingly enough. People think it only happens with pit bulls, Rottweilers, or noted large dogs but as the article says, it can happen with any breed. We were stationed at a base that was having a problem with a feral pack of 9-10 chihuahuas attacking soldiers during PT. It was funny until a few solders got hurt.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:16 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I can tell that you've never had a good dog. I can't really imagine what kind of life you must've had to be able to write that. It's very, very different from mine, that's for sure.
I've had a lot of good dogs, the majority of whom were extremely fond of children (one, in fact, would 'round up' children to try and bring them home with her. Another one loved to lick people's faces, and quickly realized children were face level with her, so she could lick away to her heart's content.) I *still* kept an eye on all interactions, because small kids can get caught up in "Puppy!" and not understand the signs that the dog may have had enough, or not understand that an action may hurt the dog. And it only takes one bad incident, and the dog suffers for it.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:43 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I've had a lot of good dogs, the majority of whom were extremely fond of children (one, in fact, would 'round up' children to try and bring them home with her. Another one loved to lick people's faces, and quickly realized children were face level with her, so she could lick away to her heart's content.) I *still* kept an eye on all interactions, because small kids can get caught up in "Puppy!" and not understand the signs that the dog may have had enough, or not understand that an action may hurt the dog. And it only takes one bad incident, and the dog suffers for it.

I agree. Little kids don't know the signs that a dog doesn't like something like being patted too hard or pulled or even poked and even the nicest dog could snap.

My sister was often oblivious to this. She had 2 shih tzu dogs and she would joke that one was really jealous of her new baby, well one day the play got too rough and baby was bit. Luckily the shih tzu breed has the pushed in face and not an extended muzzle like most dogs and baby was only scratched and not punctured. That was the end of having the dogs play with the baby.

It is terrible that toddler was mauled by the puppies but dogs are animals and no matter how cute and friendly they are they are still animals, heck there are plenty of humans that act like animals and we shouldn't leave our kids unattended with them either.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:51 AM

1,866 posts, read 932,849 times
I fixed the title of the thread for ya...

"Family Warns Others of the Danger of Being Stupid and Neglectful Parents"

Old 06-15-2022, 07:36 AM

6,361 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Why do people feel the need to label everything with a "syndrome", as if the dogs are at fault or did something wrong? Where they would only have acted by instinct if they felt that the baby was harming one of the bonded puppies.

This seems nothing more than a set of neglectful parents. Call me cynical, but I think we have all seen enough "fake" GoFundMe stories that you can't really take this at face value.

Based on what she posted she decided to go to the store that happened to be an hour away, and instead of finding her husband in the house she calls him up on the phone and adds a little bit to make sure she sounds concerned in asking about the kids. Parent of the year...Right...

As I don't think I have ever left for the store for any reason and told my spouse, who just happened to still be in the same house, by phone.

I would not be surprised if there turns out to be more to this story, and the dogs just happened to make a nice scape-goat(well scape-dog in this case) to make the GoFundMe "story" sound better.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:45 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Well what do you know? The puppies are pit bull puppies mislabeled as labs. Littermate syndrome isn't the problem here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ognisable.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies