Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Good point. Old people go to movies. They want to see their fellow old folk actors.
Well, get people who are like-minded to put their money where their mouths are, and the industry will change.

Money talks.

If you're not going to support the industry, don't expect the industry to offer films you might enjoy.

*wonders how this can possibly be hard to understand*

Can't wait to see it.

https://movieweb.com/indiana-jones-5...ic-adventurer/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Things are bad, and getting worse. The system is an alienation and isolation machine. People are sinking deeper into nihilism and apathy. Despite the jubilations of the the utopian progressives, ie Steven Pinker and his ilk, people today are as fearful, anxious, and depressed as they have ever been.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Things are bad, and getting worse. The system is an alienation and isolation machine. People are sinking deeper into nihilism and apathy. Despite the jubilations of the the utopian progressives, ie Steven Pinker and his ilk, people today are as fearful, anxious, and depressed as they have ever been.
Yes, they are, and it's feeding on itself.

Stop feeding the chicken littles, and get out there with people who have a more calming spirit, and don't automatically glom on to doom and gloom, but rather, gravitate to the sunshine.

You'll feel better.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:09 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Stop feeding the chicken littles, and get out there with people who have a more calming spirit, and don't automatically glom on to doom and gloom, but rather, gravitate to the sunshine.

You'll feel better.
Recessions and depressions are fueled by people cutting back on spending. Then businesses cut back on staff creating more people out of work not spending money. So yes it feeds on itself. And we are watching this in slow motion with the interest rate increases. Most people seem to know what is coming.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:10 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

You'll feel better.
"Sticking your head in the sand might make you feel safer, but it's not going to protect you from the coming storm".

~Barrack H. Obama

Old 06-21-2022, 10:17 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
We are at the end of progress, when the values that built our civilization don't work anymore. Many fantasies of progress such as interstellar travel will never happen. When science and medicine can do nothing for dying patients, progress takes another hit. When a blackout lasts days, progress takes another hit. When life just keeps getting worse for consecutive generations, progress is hit hard. That can be a loss of religious faith, since progress is a godless or god-lite version of paradise, heaven, etc. Without that faith, people may wallow in despair, drugs, shallow entertainment, or turn to the opposite belief, apocalyptic destruction. Some people merely shrug and adapt to the changing world, which can start with developing practical skills to use less energy, befriending neighbors and joining community support networks instead of arguing on the internet, etc.
This guy gets it.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
"Sticking your head in the sand might make you feel safer, but it's not going to protect you from the coming storm".

~Barrack H. Obama
I'm not sticking my head in the sand. At all. I'm choosing to weather this with a positive attitude.

And I don't believe we're in for the bleak times that some do, so that helps.

If you can't do anything about a situation, best to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:34 AM

6,666 posts, read 2,969,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But what you said would be like going to eat at an all you can eat buffet and telling overweight people they should probably stop coming here while you chow down.
The difference is the people at the buffet aren't saying they are depressed over their weight though, so why would I offer that?

I am here, you , most of us,..'chowing' down Because we can balance the circus of internet tough guys, trolls, and virtue signalers. I work from home so it's easy to lurk whenever. And just as easy to switch tabs.

I'd be better off just insulting the OP and winning fake points for some 'side', which I do sometimes but not when the guy is expressing sadness. I wasn't telling him to give up the fight and join antifa,.wth.

Even if his post was borderline another doom and gloom, America will die thread.

Quote:
and tuning out to social media does not change anything.
I'd argue tunning 'in' to social media doesn't change much either. And stands to make your mental state even more miserable if you let it.

Quote:

We have a lot of problems now and its about to get much worse. No wonder people are glum.
I don't disagree with any of that either.

If someone is glum though,...the last thing I'd tell them to do is go online and wade into some D vs. R thread like this has turned into,.heh.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:51 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The system is an alienation and isolation machine.

Only if you allow it to be, don't dream it's over.
You must be a Virgo, we always tend to view everything through dark glasses.

Old 06-21-2022, 11:06 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Jimmy Carter said it best. Malaise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
It feels to me like everyone is giving up on life, like everything is pointless. It's not just in the US. Many countries are in even worse shape than we are.

I was looking over headlines today and saw pictures of Biden and Yellen. All I could think was that no one is in control. That we have no government, because even those at the pinnacles of power have given up on trying to fix things. I had a real sense of foreboding, that the existential void at the heart of our society had become so large that people were just waiting for it all to collapse. Because they are out of ideas, and just want to see what happens next.

Americans are fat, lonely, unhappy, underpaid, and stressed out. The usual succors like friends and family are also falling away, leaving very little to hold onto.

I know the situation in this country best of all, better than elsewhere, but I think it's shared by billions all over the world. We are all united by our alienation from each other. Funny how that works.
Or was it Michael Jackson? "The man in the mirror." Ask a swimmer who is drowning, or the common man who has to pick between filling his gas tank or putting food on the family table. Malaise? It would be nice to be so well off to think "poor little me" when I am just trying to survive in this economy.

Some bad things just happen; but in the present situation we find ourselves in, bad decisions brought calamities. Bad things were created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies