Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does America have an identity crisis ?
No identity Crisis 18 22.50%
America needs to return to the based 18 22.50%
America identity needs to be decoupled from Whiteness 10 12.50%
Whiteness needs to be embraced as part of multiculutralism 25 31.25%
other 9 11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 04:44 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Yes, and No. You see some degree of assimilationism where you might get third generation Mexican Americans in Texas or are culturally similar to working class Whites or Asian Americans in California who are culturally similar to White liberal SWPLs. The problem with the concept of assimilation into a core American identity is that there really isn't one mainstream core culture but various cultures and value systems. There is also a narrative of assimilation being based on Whiteness. For instance an immigrant group assimilating into Americanism based on a concept of White culture but that changes when Whites are not the majority.
There are local cultures influenced by the particular history, make-up, and trends of specific or broad areas (the existence of these local cultures is something that's recognized by broader American culture), and there are various sub-cultures based on a plethora of factors. However, there is a mainstream American culture based around the English language, belief in the democratic process, identifying with the United States, etc. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "White culture" and if you are conflating "Whiteness" with "American," "Anglo," or "Western."

Last edited by TylerJAX; 06-28-2022 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 01:57 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,463,364 times
I don't think older people understand how fundamentally different the world is for people born after 1996 (Gen z I guess). There’s no cultural continuity. Things that were being fought over or in the process of being lost were already gone for Gen Z. Mainline Protestants also went basically extinct with Millennials too. Left leaning ones gave up and became secular, right-leaning went more hardline evangelical.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:30 PM

131 posts, read 51,509 times
It should be interesting, because the boomer generations has largely made it so that future generations, at least mlilennials and zoomers, no longer have an actual stake in the country, at least as the establishment construes it. This must be part of the reason for the declinging trust in public institutions. It's a country that basically has decided to give the finger to younger generations while perpectually lying and gaslighting them.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:16 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I dunno about this statement right here.

Maybe it's been viewed that way by some,..including non-whites,...but that was not how I viewed it growing up , and I am not white.

But aside from that,..I do agree we have identity issues today.
Only idiot losers look at America this way.

America still has the best chance for social and economic mobility of any place on the planet. Why do you think the hyper intelligent Indians come here, rather than stay in India?

Old 08-18-2022, 07:41 AM

4,422 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Only idiot losers look at America this way.

America still has the best chance for social and economic mobility of any place on the planet. Why do you think the hyper intelligent Indians come here, rather than stay in India?
FYI, the vast majority of “hyper intelligent Indians” do stay in India. Their population is 1.4 billion so they can spare a few capable souls.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:22 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
FYI, the vast majority of “hyper intelligent Indians” do stay in India. Their population is 1.4 billion so they can spare a few capable souls.
Some do but enough come here that they are suffering. One of my past next-door neighbors, a Muslim from India, is a living, breathing example. His parents urged him to relocate saying "there's really nothing for you here."

Old 08-18-2022, 10:15 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
I personally think the "crisis" is constantly shining a spotlight to race based identity! How about we just turn the damned spotlight off for awhile and let people be people? Continuing to poke and probe into race only serves as a wedge between people. Don't we have enough division in this country as it is? Why? It's just silly!

When I meet a new person, I don't want to have to do a split second micro analysis and size them up before interacting with them and trust me, people do this all the time now. But left uninterrupted, what you are really doing is looking down your nose at people. It's not good folks!

Let's stop the constant microanalysis and macroanalysis of race, take a deep breath and simply celebrate our differences instead of polarizing them!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is INCREDIBLY annoying?

Last edited by pete98146; 08-18-2022 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 10:45 AM

1,926 posts, read 557,698 times
I agree.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:49 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I went with "other".

America doesn't have an identity crisis. We have a progressive idiocy crisis.
The American dream is the American dream. the left has decided it is good politics to tell people of color that they cant have the American dream.

The left, doing what it does best, is seeking to punish all white people because they have decided white rich people are why minorities arent rich

We have a LEFT problem.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:51 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Honestly this is the outcropping of the leftist mentality

For every "inequality" they find, the first seek to punish someone or some group for the inequality.

They offer nothing in the way of real fixes for what are in some cases, real inequality. They just seek to find some "other" to blame and punish.

the blame de jur today is "white christian men".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies