Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 07:36 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Not a good response by the agency. I think they dug a deeper hole. First the daughter claimed full responsibility for the sign, not her mom who owns the agency. Then claims they do this sort of thing for every holiday and gives the example of their Memorial Day sign:

...thank you to all service members for your sacrifice for this country. A country now that is going to hell in a hand basket faster than my dog stealing a piece of pizza off the counter.... now that I mention pizza, I'm craving it... remember, the more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap."

They seem a lot more annoyed with Juneteenth than Memorial Day. Which is their right. But comparing a funny salute to Memorial Day to pulling a Stewie Griffin is not going to make this go away.

https://youtu.be/ErPV3E0NG8I
Yes they should both die. The one who wrote the sign and her mom, guilty by association. And lets not forget Mr. Harry, whom the outrage was initially against. He is bound to have some responsibility here.
I mean it the peoples right to be annoyed to the point of death threats but not the peoples right to but up a sign, right?

I'm not sure why telling the truth is not a good response.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Not a good response by the agency. I think they dug a deeper hole. First the daughter claimed full responsibility for the sign, not her mom who owns the agency. Then claims they do this sort of thing for every holiday and gives the example of their Memorial Day sign:

...thank you to all service members for your sacrifice for this country. A country now that is going to hell in a hand basket faster than my dog stealing a piece of pizza off the counter.... now that I mention pizza, I'm craving it... remember, the more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap."

They seem a lot more annoyed with Juneteenth than Memorial Day which they splattered with compliments. Which is their right. But comparing a funny salute to Memorial Day to pulling a Stewie Griffin is not going to make this go away. They forgot to account for the guy in the planter.

https://youtu.be/ErPV3E0NG8I
The problem this displays is that sarcasm requires a great deal of wit to pull off successfully, but most people attempting sarcasm are not as witty as they think they are.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:54 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Wow, interesting that she posts what she considers light-hearted signs before every holiday closing. It sounds like there was no ill intent at all.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:35 AM

446 posts, read 249,417 times
Quote:
First the daughter claimed full responsibility for the sign, not her mom who owns the agency. [... t]hen gives this example of their Memorial Day sign:

Then undercut the message of appreciation to the troops with the underscored phrase.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:05 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes they should both die. The one who wrote the sign and her mom, guilty by association. And lets not forget Mr. Harry, whom the outrage was initially against. He is bound to have some responsibility here.
I mean it the peoples right to be annoyed to the point of death threats but not the peoples right to but up a sign, right?

I'm not sure why telling the truth is not a good response.
People do not have the right to threaten to kill someone. That is illegal. Hopefully anyone doing so is arrested and charged for it.

Where do you get someone has the right to threaten others with death?

Do these people have the right to put up a sign like they did? Sure they do. If others do not like or do like it they can either decide to do business there or not. And large insurance companies have the right to not do business with them. Its a big red flag regarding their judgment in business that they put up a sign like that and did not think through possible consequences.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-24-2022 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-24-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The problem this displays is that sarcasm requires a great deal of wit to pull off successfully, but most people attempting sarcasm are not as witty as they think they are.
To paraphrase others who have an issue with those not in politics making political comments. JUST SELL INSURANCE.

Its like sending a text or posting a tweet. Sometimes people do not get your attempt at humor or whit. Why do anything unnecessary that might hurt your business, of which they have probably spend years working hard to build up?

Old 06-24-2022, 11:11 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It sounds more like confusion than racism.

Juneteenth is a Federal Holiday for Black people so inherently it is a racist Holiday because as a White guy I had nothing to do with slavery. I think it is great that it ended because it was wrong but does it really need a nationwide day?

Oh well if it makes people feel better about themselves than it is ok.
Juneteenth is the one holiday that celebrate ALL Americans being free. Of course, it should be a federal holiday. And how is a day celebrating the end of slavery racist towards white people? Explain this to me? "i had nothing to do with slavery, but black people celebrating their freedon is racist". LMAO

Old 06-24-2022, 11:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
People do not have the right to threaten to kill someone. That is illegal. Hopefully anyone doing so is arrested and charged for it.

Where do you get someone has the right to threaten others with death?

Do these people have the right to put up a sign like they did? Sure they do. If others do not like or do like they can either decide to do business there or not.
But they are getting death threats. And there is no outrage over that.
Its ok to threaten to kill someone because you find their sense of humor offensive. Its just not ok to say or do anything that could in any way conceivably be construed as offensive.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Then undercut the message of appreciation to the troops with the underscored phrase.

What on earth did the kidnapping comment mean? What happened to:

We are closed

Have a happy

Memorial Day

See ya Tuesday!

or

We are closed

Have a happy

Juneteeth Day

See ya Tuesday!

Old 06-24-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But they are getting death threats. And there is no outrage over that.
Its ok to threaten to kill someone because you find their sense of humor offensive. Its just not ok to say or do anything that could in any way conceivably be construed as offensive.
Its a law enforcement / FBI thing. Believe me they will deal with it. Is there anyone on here saying death threats against them is ok? There are no threads asking if these people should have death threats. Feel free to start that thread to highlight that issue if you think it needs more attention.

This thread is about whether they should have put of this sign. I have been in business a long time. Always best to stay clear of controversy. You want to talk about your opinion on Juneteenth Day plenty of places to do that that don't involve signs on your front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies