Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 05:47 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
SCOTUS strikes down NY state law requiring people to have a "special need" before they grant Concealed Carry permit

It's a big step in the right direction. Far-left states and cities have been trying for years to infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms. And now those infringements are being steadily rolled back as the Court increases its focus on obeying and upholding the Constitution.

Elections have consequences. And the 2022 and 2024 election will have more consequences... just as the 2016 election did.

It's still true that if a state makes a law requiring people to apply for a permit to keep and bear arms as they choose, that means that if the people don't obey, the state can refuse them their right to own and carry a gun - a flagrant violation of the 2nd amendment.

-----------------------------------

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-c...f8761ffa84e3e8

Supreme Court expands gun rights, striking New York limits
by Jessica Gresko
June 23, 2022
7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a major expansion of gun rights, the Supreme Court said Thursday that Americans have a right to carry firearms in public.

The justices’ 6-3 decision follows a series of recent mass shootings and is expected to ultimately allow more people to legally carry guns on the streets of the nation’s largest cities — including New York, Los Angeles and Boston — and elsewhere. About a quarter of the U.S. population live in states expected to be affected by the ruling, the high court’s first major gun decision in more than a decade.

Justice Clarence Thomas wrote for the majority that the Constitution protects “an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home.”

In their decision, the justices struck down a New York law requiring people to demonstrate a particular need for carrying a gun in order to get a license to carry one in public. The justices said that requirement violates the Second Amendment right to “keep and bear arms.”
Should individuals have a constitutional right to carry a firearm anywhere in public….the subway, Times Square on NY’s eve, a public library, a public elementary school? I’m asking because it would seem that with my layman’s understanding of the intent of this decision, allowing states to prevent individuals from carrying firearms into these places would be inconsistent with their ruling.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:48 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Flood warning in NYC. Tears are expected to overwhelm the sewer system.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:49 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I'm not sure which is scarier. The irrelevant rationale offered by the minority which had absolutely nothing to do with the legal basis, or the fact that it makes sense to them and others.

"I went back to Ohio and my city was gone"

Old 06-23-2022, 05:55 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The majority repeated what the SC said in Heller about 2nd Amendment infringement:

"After holding that the Second Amendment protected an individual right to armed self-defense, we also relied on the historical understanding of the Amendment to demark the limits on the exercise of that right. We noted that, “[l]ike most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.” From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”
I've noticed that people who don't like the absolute guarantee of govt not infringing the people's right to keep and bear arms, often try to cite others' opinions on the matter.... but they seldom if ever cite the Constitution itself.

And they seem to be hoping with all their might that nobody will point out that none of the others' opinions can supersede what the Constitution itself says.

If the Constitution clearly says one thing, and a bunch of lawyers and courts say something else, which one must overrule the other?

Old 06-23-2022, 06:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Should individuals have a constitutional right to carry a firearm anywhere in public….the subway, Times Square on NY’s eve, a public library, a public elementary school? I’m asking because it would seem that with my layman’s understanding of the intent of this decision, allowing states to prevent individuals from carrying firearms into these places would be inconsistent with their ruling.
That would be correct. You have a right to defend yourself.

Last edited by AADAD; 06-23-2022 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 06:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It is ridiculous. For the longest time with Gore here you'd have to fill out paper work and a BUNCH of money and wait. Then interviews, BGC and other barriers just to even get your foot in the door. Until he was up for re-election, unless you were a relative of him or a LEO forget it.

It's about time for an even playing field. Thugs don't care about "law".

The mayor will probably not permit any gun ranges to open in the city so that people can get the training they need to safely exercise their rights.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is my understanding, this ruling only impacts New York. More lawsuits will be needed for other states.
As far as I know it will affect any state that denies a law abiding citizen a permit to carry a firearm for any lawful purpose outside of their home.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:01 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
As far as I know it will affect any state that denies a law abiding citizen a permit to carry a firearm for any lawful purpose outside of their home.
I hope you are right. You know that they will fight it.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:25 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The mayor will probably not permit any gun ranges to open in the city so that people can get the training they need to safely exercise their rights.
We have BLM, they can suck a popsicle. You can shoot anywhere you want.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_modern_philosopher View Post
Well technically perhaps, but we never really talked about what we would see from the 2A decision. All the focus and predicting has been on Roe v Wade.

What will NYC do now? What would they do if a person open carries?
Open carry will still be illegal in state's that don't already allow it. This ruling still leaves intact New York's handgun licensing system. The only difference is that the State of New York will not be able to deny any individual who is not a prohibited possessor as described by federal law a permit to lawfully carry a concealed firearm for personal self defense out side of the home. In other words "full carry" licenses will now have to be issued. New York will now become a "shall issue" state instead of a "may issue" state.

The Supreme Court struck down New York's arbitrary and capricious handgun licensing system. A system where only the rich, famous, politically well connected, members of the state judiciary and both retired and active duty law enforcement personnel could get a full carry permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies