Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 11:20 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times

Advertisements

Yep, spoken like a true Communist, er, I mean Democrat.

As I said on another thread, I used to work in an urban planning environment. The planners were mostly all liberal Democrats, HATED the suburbs, and actively worked to effect policy changes that would “get cars off the road.” They generally tended to look down upon those who owned cars and ESPECIALLY those who would drive their own personal vehicle to work every day, alone.

Enhancements to infrastructure were never framed as giving people additional options. Instead, the conversation always centered around how to make it more inconvenient to own a car (i.e. bike lane, but at the expense of a lane that cars can use, to intentionally cause additional congestion), so that people would get frustrated, give up, and instead start riding bikes or using public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 11:22 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
No, it is not "forced". It is a choice. You are welcome to walk or bike anywhere you please... Just stay off of the road and on the sidewalk, you people are annoying!
Sure, come to Florida and walk in 90+ degree weather with 90% humidity for months and see how many job interviews go your way.

How about Texas, New Mexico, and most of the South East in the summer. No one is hiring a dude that is showing up funky and drenched in sweat for service jobs or a professional job (most of the jobs in Florida and the South are service jobs).

I may be annoying but you know that person will not get hired and will remain unemployed which makes me right. A car is required in most places, therefore, is a Forced Transportation measure.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:25 AM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Yes in October of some unknown year but its the same general statement the article is quoting now without the infrastructure part. Its no secret he promotes public transit.
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1450964293881634816

According to The Hill, the President made in statement on October 21, 2021 in Scranton, Pennsylvania. I have no problem with him promoting public transportation, but I take great umbrage with threats of seizure of personal property...

Old 06-23-2022, 11:27 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I didn't read it as if the government is going to confiscate vehicles but rather make public transportation more available/effective that less people will use their own vehicles.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:27 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
He supports greater use of Public Transportation, whats new there?
"again promoted his infrastructure dreams of taking people out of their gas-powered vehicles and putting them on trains and other forms of public transit."

You can't deny this truth “ you can get in a train and go from here to Washington much faster than you can go in an automobile'. 95 is most often a bumper to bumper crawl and if you don't need to go outside the city limits the train
is a better choice.
OK. Let's get Xoe out of AF1 and put him on a choo choo.

He has said he wants to put oil out of business. I presume he means AMERICAN BASED OIL. But leave all the tyrants alone. OK.

Yet I see no Air Force One Electric on the drawing boards. I see no presidential limo lektrik on the drawing boards.

Xoe is clearly working for enemies of the USA. Clearly, obviously.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:33 AM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I didn't read it as if the government is going to confiscate vehicles but rather make public transportation more available/effective that less people will use their own vehicles.
The President was not explicitly clear, and that very thought did cross my mind. However, when 'The Great Reset' crowd is involved with something like this, there is no telling what is on their minds, and, therefore, I take everything they say seriously, as they pose a threat to my individual personal liberty.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Dear Car Owners,

Do you remember how smokers and gun owners have been shunned from polite society? Get ready to join the club.

Love,
The Mothers of America

Remember our slogan: It's for the Children. The CHILDREN!
I smoke two packs a day, have a healthy gun collection and five cars. I swear, sometimes it feels like I'm being personally targeted.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:58 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
And you liberals wonder why oil companies don't want to invest more into the future.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:00 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...l-consumption/

That is not your job, dipsh*t!

The automobile equals freedom. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands...

We need to vote 'The Great Reset' out of office...

From the article:
People are starting to wake up to what these people want to do. They want the citizens disarmed and not free to travel. Again, nice job, Trump haters. This one is on you also.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:06 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I dont think public transit is a good idea. Either let it be funded privately or get rid of it. If ending public transit helps encourage sprawl that would be a great thing. Living in densely populated cities isnt desirable.
If anything improved public transit could decrease densely populated cities as it would facilitate being able to move more places without A car being a necessity.

Between insurance gas and payments as well as maintenance, a car hardly denotes freedom.

A great example is Chicagos metra rail. Super easy to commute from the burbs into the city and move around. (If you live near a station) You can bring a bike on the train. Works beautifully. I used it when I lived in the burbs there often to go to the city on days off. Would’ve used it more if there was a better bus system to get to the station as it was 4 miles away and commuting would have been too cumbersome.

Last edited by odinloki1; 06-23-2022 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies