Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 11:22 AM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...re-sacramento/

Quote:
A white Tesla Model S was sitting in a Rancho Cordova, Calif., wrecking yard earlier this month — having been severely damaged in a collision three weeks earlier — when it suddenly erupted in flames.

When firefighters arrived, the electric car was engulfed, according to the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District. Every time the blaze was momentarily extinguished, the car’s battery compartment reignited, the fire department wrote in an Instagram post. Firefighters and wrecking yard workers tried turning the car on its side to aim water directly onto the battery pack. But “the vehicle would still re-ignite due to the residual heat,” the department wrote.

Another reason to stay away from EVs. Fires are incredibly difficult to extinguish.
Quote:

All told, it took more than an hour and 4,500 gallons of water for the dozen firefighters to extinguish the blaze, Wilbourn said — about the same amount of water used to put out a building fire.

And, Californikation is in the middle of a water shortage.

Can't wait to see what happens when there are more EVs on cali roads

Texas electric vehicle crash underscores need for first responders to learn about hazards and response tactics

https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Resear...-about-hazards

Quote:
Although the cause of the recent Tesla incident is still being determined, news reports indicate that, despite intense heat, the fire was extinguished within four minutes. Firefighters; however, remained on scene for four hours cooling the car’s battery with tens of thousands of gallons of water. This is not the first time, we are hearing about batteries reigniting after on scene suppression and with the popularity of EVs growing, according to online car shopping site Edmunds, it certainly won’t be the last

The NTSB also found, in part, that:
  • Damage and fire because of a crash may prevent first responders from disabling the high voltage in electric vehicles
  • Thermal runaway and battery reignitions after initial fire suppression can pose additional challenges
  • Stranded energy can cause electric shock and potential fire hazards
  • Safely storing an electric vehicle with a damaged high-voltage lithium-ion battery in a tow yard may not be feasible

I do not believe that there is any way in hell that MrsM and I will ever buy an EV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 11:30 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
I hate the monotone voiceover videos - but here is the best description of what happened.

Mrs. DRob hinted at getting one down the road. I haven't argued against it yet. Let's see how the random fire aspect plays out.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
There's always a danger to having lithium ion batteries around. Good manufacturers should take precautions to prevent accidents. When I bought the EM3EV battery pack for my electric bike I was leery for quite a while just having it anywhere indoors. Eventually I grew to trust it. It doesn't pay to skimp on lithium batteries for any project though. Using good quality with voltage and other protections is vital.

If it was really a big danger though, insurance companies wouldn't even cover them. I mean, people have been sitting on gallons of gasoline for decades and cars haven't exploded that many times. Accidents can happen though.

There shouldn't be a problem in normal circumstances where the batteries haven't been extensively damaged by a vehicle collision.

That doesn't change my opinion that fuel cells once they become widespread for semis, boats, and planes, could trickle down to cars and light duty trucks and displace EVs at some future date.

https://www.hotcars.com/reasons-why-...tter-than-evs/

Old 06-23-2022, 11:49 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,944 times
Little chemical China Syndromes waiting to melt through the pavement. Hot tip ... don't garage it at home. Leave it way out at the end of the driveway by the street and charge up at work in the parking garage.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:54 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There's always a danger to having lithium ion batteries around. Good manufacturers should take precautions to prevent accidents. When I bought the EM3EV battery pack for my electric bike I was leery for quite a while just having it anywhere indoors. Eventually I grew to trust it. It doesn't pay to skimp on lithium batteries for any project though. Using good quality with voltage and other protections is vital.

If it was really a big danger though, insurance companies wouldn't even cover them. I mean, people have been sitting on gallons of gasoline for decades and cars haven't exploded that many times. Accidents can happen though.

There shouldn't be a problem in normal circumstances where the batteries haven't been extensively damaged by a vehicle collision.

That doesn't change my opinion that fuel cells once they become widespread for semis, boats, and planes, could trickle down to cars and light duty trucks and displace EVs at some future date.

https://www.hotcars.com/reasons-why-...tter-than-evs/

The batteries take up a significant part of the lower part of the car. I would think anything other then a small, parking lot fender bender would damage the batteries. Get past the crumple zone and you are into the batteries! One damaged cell ignites the rest.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:02 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
The batteries take up a significant part of the lower part of the car. I would think anything other then a small, parking lot fender bender would damage the batteries. Get past the crumple zone and you are into the batteries! One damaged cell ignites the rest.
There should be time to exit the vehicle before the fire consumes it. It's not going to explode into a raging inferno like a gas tank would. The self sustaining chemical reaction would take time to spread to the other cells. Methinks this is just another anti-EV post from people unwilling to embrace new technology.

I don't really care who wins the vehicle wars. Whoever makes the vehicle with the lowest total cost of ownership in an attractive package, I will buy it. However, in 50 years, 96% of drivers will not be using internal combustion, gasoline powered vehicles. It's just progress. Something will replace internal combustion engines. It's inevitable. I visualize the same arguments 100 years ago as horses were being retired from their role as primary transportation. Human beings resist progress and change as a species.

Right now, EV's range sucks, they are too expensive, and they really don't work well in a Minnesota climate where 0 degrees in the winter is common. They have a ways to go before I will adopt their usage. I wish them luck though!

Last edited by sholomar; 06-23-2022 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 12:10 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,052,555 times
Several yrs ago we were into RC cars which was popular in the area. (Traxxis) They use lithium ion batteries. He left his plugged in overnight in the garage. House burnt down

Old 06-23-2022, 12:12 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There should be time to exit the vehicle before the fire consumes it. It's not going to explode into a raging inferno like a gas tank would. The self sustaining chemical reaction would take time to spread to the other cells. Methinks this is just another anti-EV post from people unwilling to embrace new technology.

I don't really care who wins the vehicle wars. Whoever makes the vehicle with the lowest total cost of ownership in an attractive package, I will buy it. However, in 50 years, 96% of drivers will not be using internal combustion, gasoline powered vehicles. It's just progress. Something will replace internal combustion engines. It's inevitable. I visualize the same arguments 100 years ago as horses were being retired from their role as primary transportation. Human beings resist progress and change as a species.

Right now, EV's range sucks, they are too expensive, and they really don't work well in a Minnesota climate where 0 degrees in the winter is common. They have a ways to go before I will adopt their usage. I wish them luck though!

Unless the accident renders you unconscious or structural damage causes the doors not to operate. Have you seen lithium battery fires on Youtube? Pretty impressive. Similar to the flame on a road flare only car sized.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:15 PM

25,724 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Maybe we could just start driving crates of sweating dynamite down the road.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:18 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Yesterday, a wooden house somewhere burned to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies