Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 03:17 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times

Advertisements

Setting aside the 1a aspect for a moment...
Those of you who would like to ban drag queen story hour, are you willing to apply the standard evenly and ban women from wearing men's clothing at story time as well?
Would you ban androgyny too? (Just to be sure!)
If you think those notions are absurd, then you should think its equally absurd to prohibit a dude from reading stories to kids wearing high heels and a feather boa.

I mean, we could discuss it, but I wouldn't want to make you late for whatever book burning you've got going on tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 03:31 PM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Were the people on your list dancing provocatively on stage, accepting dollar bills stuffed into their costumes? If you think Mrs Doubtfire is no different than a drag queen, you need to seriously up your critical thinking skills.
Your link didn't mention anything about any provocative dancing, which would not be tolerated in any children's story venue I have ever heard of.

Also, you may want to check out websites before you post what they publish as gospel. News Punch is a fake news site on the order of the Babylon Bee or the Onion. Everything in that article was pure bullsquat. I have a couple of friends who are female impersonators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsPunch

Old 06-24-2022, 03:34 PM

37,183 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Those of you who would like to ban drag queen story hour, are you willing to apply the standard evenly and ban women from wearing men's clothing at story time as well?
If you think those notions are absurd, then you should think its equally absurd to prohibit a dude from reading stories to kids wearing high heels and a feather boa.

I mean, we could discuss it, but I wouldn't want to make you late for whatever book burning you've got going on tonight.
People who are opposed to drag shows are people who have never attended one. They are a lot of fun, and some of the performers do astounding jobs on their dress, hair, and makeup. They're actually better looking that a lot of people in the audience.

That's show biz - the world of make believe and illusion.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:35 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:

If you want to make it a fair comparison, I'd say ban both drag queens and drag kings. I don't know if there even is such a thing as a drag king, but it would be a woman who dresses up offensively using every caricature of sexy men one could think of. She would be wearing a very tight shirt, buttoned only half way up, with lots of chest hair and gold chains showing. She would be in tight jeans, stuffed in the front to demonstrate that she is "excited," sporting a couple of days of face stubble look,wearing Brut cologne, and may e even smoking a Marlboro. Oh wait, no, can't smoke in front of the kiddos.

As a woman, I find drag queens' use of stereotypes offensive. One poster here has started calling it "broadface." Good term for it. Blackface has been deemed offensive, even to the point that a white person can never dress as say, Barack Obama or any black actor, for Halloween. So why is it OK for drag queens to prance about as a gaudy caricature of women?

Old 06-24-2022, 03:43 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Your link didn't mention anything about any provocative dancing, which would not be tolerated in any children's story venue I have ever heard of.

Also, you may want to check out websites before you post what they publish as gospel. News Punch is a fake news site on the order of the Babylon Bee or the Onion. Everything in that article was pure bullsquat. I have a couple of friends who are female impersonators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsPunch
No, I didn't mean to imply that the drag queens were doing sexy dancing at story hour. But it IS what they do on stage. The whole culture around drag is far from asexual and innocent. THAT is why I don't think their story hours are appropriate.

I wouldn't want Female Stripper Story Hour either. Of course they wouldn't be stripping in the library (well, hopefully), but they certainly aren't the first group I would think of when selecting appropriate adult role models to come read to children.

Regarding that newspunch site being fake...my bad, my embarassment. I should have checked it out more thoroughly. Thanks for calling me out on that.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:49 PM

8,331 posts, read 2,961,324 times
Quote:
I've done quite a lot of research. Would you like a few links?
Thanks but I don’t cherry pick.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:50 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
I have a couple of friends who are female impersonators.
Do they do black face as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I wouldn't want Female Stripper Story Hour either. Of course they wouldn't be stripping in the library (well, hopefully), but they certainly aren't the first group I would think of when selecting appropriate adult role models to come read to children..
And God forbid that someone who is actually a "qualified" storyteller, like a literature person, folklore, people involved in storytelling, poetry, etc, actually tell stories. Nope. We want folks who do offensive caricatures of women telling our stories to the kiddies. And I'm sure they are reading Treasure Island or The Tale of Peter Rabbit.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:54 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:

What is the point of bringing in drag queens to read to kids? Is the teacher illiterate and can't read a story him/herself?

Why drag queens? Explain the reason that it has to be drag queens.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:55 PM

8,331 posts, read 2,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
It figures. some folks believe their promiscuous lifestyle choices are not sinful or immoral. its what they do. they are proud of their lack of morals.
The fact they have serious mental issues doesn’t bother me. But parents should keep their kids away from them.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:57 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The fact they have serious mental issues doesn’t bother me. But parents should keep their kids away from them.
I'll let the parents decide that for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies