Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2022, 06:36 PM

8,830 posts, read 2,481,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Remember this post when lawsuits unfold across the nation.
Well I told you they'd happen based on the temper tantrum factor, I was just asking to see if ANYONE had an idea of what those temper tantrum suits could be based upon.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:45 PM

25,407 posts, read 9,696,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Well I told you they'd happen based on the temper tantrum factor, I was just asking to see if ANYONE had an idea of what those temper tantrum suits could be based upon.
Here ya go, bobby.

The lawsuit in LA
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...supreme-court/

Here the one in Utah
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/6/...-supreme-court

Kentucky
https://www.wdrb.com/news/aclu-plann...0cd897519.html

South Dakota
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ab...south-dakota-2

Old 06-27-2022, 06:53 PM

36,948 posts, read 18,829,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yep, all one of them...Albert Watson. He actually resigned before switching, then was elected as a Republican. The only other two were not actually elected officials at the point, but later became US senator (Thad Cochran, R-MS) and US representative (Dannemeyer, R-CA(39)), but neither was elected as Republican until the late 70s.

The real group of Dixiecrats who followed Thurmond across the aisle is exactly one guy, Albert Watson.

There was a smattering of state level officials, like a dozen, from all the state reps/senators/AGs/etc in the entire Southeast? I want to say it was all of like 12, maybe 13 people total? Out of several hundred?

But go ahead and keep making it like all racist Democrats just became Republicans in 1964. It's a widely accepted lie, and very few people are like me and will actually challenge it.

Indeed.
That's cool. Wrong, but cool.

So riddle me this - If the Democrats are the ones who put all the confederate statues up, why are the republicans the ones screaming when the democrats want to take down their own statues?

Also, please explain why the KKK and Stormfront were the ones who used Trump's campaign to increase their membership recruiting?

Old 06-27-2022, 07:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,376,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Clarence Thomas is one of those extremists.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...tion/101183828
try reading his opinion again...

Thomas specifically says that they are not trying to ban anything...what he is saying is that some of those cases, which led to "legislating from the bench" should be reviewed, and if they are NOT in the FEDERAL jurisdiction, they should be handed down to WHERE THEY BELONG, at the state level

did you actually read the options...its like 200 pages... or do you just take your marching orders form the left like AOC

even RBG stated that Roe was bad judgement

Old 06-27-2022, 07:11 PM

Thank you.

I like the Louisiana suit, they are seeking to block "trigger laws" saying they cause ambiguity as to what the law actually is. They certainly have a decent basis for that claim, but I'm not sure it's quite enough to prevail.

The Utah suit is baseless trash essentially just saying that they don't like the policy with no real legal basis to support the suit. It's the kind of temper tantrum nonsense I was expecting.

The Kentucky suit is moronic, they seek to block the law using the same basis that the SCOTUS just ruled was invalid.....good job ACLU, way to embarrass yourself.

The South Dakota suit seeks to stop a 72 hour waiting period before abortion just arguing that it's "medically unnecessary" and makes getting an abortion more burdensome... but given that abortion is not a right, it's hard to see why that should matter. They have a bit of an in here, but it's basically an impossible case to win in the end.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:21 PM

37,796 posts, read 21,885,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
No—it’s the GOP pushing to show women are chattel of men however and have no right to decide an issue about a clump of cells that can’t exist outside the mother’s body

What will happen when women are charged with violating the law if they have a miscarriage?
The Missouri law going into effect in 30 days only promises a woman won’t be charged with conspiracy
Nothing about accessory before or after the fact
Nothing about an unintended miscarriage
What if a woman is pregnant (whether she wants to be or not, knows or doesn’t know) and has a spontaneous miscarriage after the time line?
That happens—
It happened to my daughter through no fault of her own
How the hell do you get that notion that women are chattel?? All this says is states decide the abortion laws. Geez, grow up already. If anything, this frees states to allow any abortion for any reason, if the people of that state so decide. The freakout by you people is amazing to behold.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How the hell do you get that notion that women are chattel?? All this says is states decide the abortion laws. Geez, grow up already. If anything, this frees states to allow any abortion for any reason, if the people of that state so decide. The freakout by you people is amazing to behold.
C'mon, if women don't have the right to arbitrarily kill another human that means they are basically slaves.

There is nothing quite as sacred as the natural right of women to kill arbitrarily.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:26 PM

5,492 posts, read 6,092,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Thank you.

I like the Louisiana suit, they are seeking to block "trigger laws" saying they cause ambiguity as to what the law actually is. They certainly have a decent basis for that claim, but I'm not sure it's quite enough to prevail.

The Utah suit is baseless trash essentially just saying that they don't like the policy with no real legal basis to support the suit. It's the kind of temper tantrum nonsense I was expecting.

The Kentucky suit is moronic, they seek to block the law using the same basis that the SCOTUS just ruled was invalid.....good job ACLU, way to embarrass yourself.

The South Dakota suit seeks to stop a 72 hour waiting period before abortion just arguing that it's "medically unnecessary" and makes getting an abortion more burdensome... but given that abortion is not a right, it's hard to see why that should matter. They have a bit of an in here, but it's basically an impossible case to win in the end.
Re the bolded - you may very well ne right, but state constitutions are different from the U.S. Constitution and it is plausible that the difference in language could result in a different conclusion. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without first reviewing Kentucky's constitution.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:27 PM

1,799 posts, read 555,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They both got floor votes did they not, I don't recall a Biden Rule or blocking out of committee. Remember when they claimed when Scalia died that the next president should choose the next president with 9 months remaining in Obama's term. Then when RBG died they confirmed Barrett while several million votes were cast 3 weeks before the election.

This is one more reason why this court is viewed as illegitimate.
How people who dont like the court view it is completely irrelevant. The right has viewed the past courts as unlawful activist courts exceeding their boundaries. Their rulings stood. Some people today view this court as illegitimate. Doesnt matter one bit. Their rulings will be the law of the land until the Constitution is amended to alter them.

As I said elsewhere, the GOP has used questionable politics, some of it conceived by the Dems first. Harry Reids nuclear option, along with the Biden rule you mention. The Dems just get nasty and try to destroy nominees with unsubstantiated claims. By no means do the Dems hold the high road in dealing with SCOTUS nominees.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:29 PM

14,885 posts, read 8,502,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
That is not logical and not consistent with what politicians who believe life begins at conception are saying on the national media.
Please explain-If you believe life begins at conception and any activity to end pregnancy is murder. Is murder bad sometimes and ok at others? Not based on any actions of the fetus but on someone else? That is moral?
If the father is evil it’s not murder but if the father is a good man it is murder?
Your position is hypocritical.
Let me explain the rationale that has led me to be reluctantly in favor of a an exception for cases of rape. And it’s a really tough line that has me pulled in two directions …

There are two principles involved … the first one being that people should exercise personal responsibility, and that includes proper precautions to prevent pregnancy. But, in the same fashion, people should not be forced to assume responsibility for the actions of others. in the case of rape, the woman was a victim of a criminal act that resulted in a pregnancy, and therefore not responsible. In addition, I also believe in self defense, and respect the right of a woman who has already been victimized, to not be forced to continue to relive that criminal assault, and the physical and emotional stress involved in carrying the pregnancy to term, and subsequent child birth.

I’m somewhat torn by the reality that the value of the child’s life isn’t diminished by the fact that conception was the result of a criminal act, but in my estimation, the choice to terminate the pregnancy must remain available to the victim in this situation, with the child considered a second victim of the original crime, for which the rapist is totally responsible.

The only other reservation I have is the fact that such exceptions will no doubt be subject to fraud and abuse, quite in the same manner as the original “Jane Roe” falsely claimed to be a victim of gang rape, when it was a flat out lie. She was in fact an irresponsible, drug pusher and addict and alcoholic who had already given up two children for adoption prior to becoming pregnant with “baby Roe”. Lucky for baby Roe, the final SCOTUS decision in Roe vs Wade wasn’t reached until after she was born. But Jane Roe, aka Norma McCorvey was a rather despicable narcissistic abuser of drugs, alcohol and children, and her legacy now includes a significant portion of the 63 1/2 Million babies aborted since 1973. Too bad Abortion wasn’t available when her mother was pregnant with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies