Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2022, 07:30 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Thank you.

I like the Louisiana suit, they are seeking to block "trigger laws" saying they cause ambiguity as to what the law actually is. They certainly have a decent basis for that claim, but I'm not sure it's quite enough to prevail.
I read the Louisiana suit to not be so much against the concept of trigger laws, but rather specifically which of the several trigger laws that were passed are now in effect. I think that's a reasonable thing to want to know. I think the judge was right to block enforcement until this can be sorted out.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:30 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Who said they're baseless? State judges in LA are already blocking laws that are meant to trigger a ban in that state. Expect more. I'm sure Planned Parenthood and other organizations have quite deep pockets which will only get deeper.

Yes, the SCOTUS is the highest court in the land. But they didn't say that abortion should be banned. Their final word was that it would be left up to the states. Capisce?

As I said lawsuits happen all the time. The outcome will just depend on who has the better lawyer.
There will be growing pains, because states have not been allowed to discuss abortion laws yet. Right now, the nutbags extremists on both sides of this issue are the ones making all the noise. Calmer heads will prevail in time. If women are so worried about it in the mean time, they can drive to an abortion state and have an abortion.

Personally, I'd rather abortion was unrestricted. If healthy mothers are predisposed to kill their healthy unborn child... well... I'd rather not have them spreading their gene pool around. It's sort of Darwin's theory at work. Sparing the world their genetic offspring would benefit the human race.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:31 PM

1,799 posts, read 562,326 times
The left will no doubt win some of the more extreme and egregious cases. But at the end of the day SCOTUS has ruled that regulating abortion is once again the role of the states. Any lawsuit contested far enough will end up...where...? The SC, which says such regulation belongs to the state.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:33 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I read the Louisiana suit to not be so much against the concept of trigger laws, but rather specifically which of the several trigger laws that were passed are now in effect. I think that's a reasonable thing to want to know. I think the judge was right to block enforcement until this can be sorted out.
Glad i don't live in some of these states. My state will have sensible laws we can all live by.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:36 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They both got floor votes did they not, I don't recall a Biden Rule or blocking out of committee. Remember when they claimed when Scalia died that the next president should choose the next president with 9 months remaining in Obama's term. Then when RBG died they confirmed Barrett while several million votes were cast 3 weeks before the election.

This is one more reason why this court is viewed as illegitimate.
it really depends om who holds the Senate

when Scalia died, yes Obama still had 9ish months left... but there were not the votes..the republicans had the majority, and Gorsuch would have been voted down (which would have looked worse for him)

when RBG died, the r's had the senate, and the votes

it will be the same when Beyer retires... the pick from Biden, has already passed "the test" of votes, which is why Beyer announced it now, because after November the dems might not (I did say might not) have the majority any more, and Biden's pick could have easily gotten voted down... but she got in, (with the help of Harris as the Senate is currently 50/50)

its politics...its the same way the dems did Bork

Old 06-27-2022, 07:36 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Re the bolded - you may very well ne right, but state constitutions are different from the U.S. Constitution and it is plausible that the difference in language could result in a different conclusion. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without first reviewing Kentucky's constitution.
Sure they aren't the same, but they are attempting to use the same reasoning that was JUST thrown out by SCOTUS as being invalid.....because it is.

Going back with that same nonsense is a non starter.

The "right to privacy" or "right to bodily autonomy" does not confer an automatic right to homicide. If there was anywhere that didn't make exceptions for the life of the mother, there would be a solid argument for abortion as a self defense measure.....but I don't think any state fails to make that exception.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:37 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
The left will no doubt win some of the more extreme and egregious cases. But at the end of the day SCOTUS has ruled that regulating abortion is once again the role of the states. Any lawsuit contested far enough will end up...where...? The SC, which says such regulation belongs to the state.
No, not every lawsuit contested far enough will end up at SCOTUS. If a challenge to a law states that it is contrary to the U.S. Constitution or a federal law, yes, it can go through the federal system and the Supreme Court would be the highest authority. But very few cases get that far. More importantly, if a law is challenged based on the state constitution or state law, it stays in the state system and the state's Supreme Court is the ultimate authority.

Now that it is back in the states that means back with the Supreme Courts of the states as well, at least for a while until someone comes up with a new and plausible legal theory to make it a federal question.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:38 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
That's why I like that one so much, the basis seems strong so I think they've got a good shot at a lengthy injunction if the state doesn't come out and pass a new law clarifying things.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:39 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I think you are wrong there...

the very religious people will have rape and incest exemptions in there, because rape and incest is not what that religion is selling...

and since its the liberals that want to set free rapists and murderers with no bail to rape again, its more likely that the liberals will loos voters due to them setting rapists free
face reality.

There are religious zealots in your base who will never tolerate any exemptions.

They believe if a 12 year old girl is brutally beaten, gang raped, sodomized and then left for dead in a ditch she is keeping that baby. Hallelujah!

If the parents take her out of state they will want laws to prosecute the parents.

They want everyone to live under their religious beliefs. You can’t control people like that. They are doing God’s good work and unwavering in their faith.

The mainstream media is going to love putting them in front of a national audience and they will frighten women to vote against republicans.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Let me explain the rationale that has led me to be reluctantly in favor of a an exception for cases of rape. And it’s a really tough line that has me pulled in two directions …

There are two principles involved … the first one being that people should exercise personal responsibility, and that includes proper precautions to prevent pregnancy. But, in the same fashion, people should not be forced to assume responsibility for the actions of others. in the case of rape, the woman was a victim of a criminal act that resulted in a pregnancy, and therefore not responsible. In addition, I also believe in self defense, and respect the right of a woman who has already been victimized, to not be forced to continue to relive that criminal assault, and the physical and emotional stress involved in carrying the pregnancy to term, and subsequent child birth.

I’m somewhat torn by the reality that the value of the child’s life isn’t diminished by the fact that conception was the result of a criminal act, but in my estimation, the choice to terminate the pregnancy must remain available to the victim in this situation, with the child considered a second victim of the original crime, for which the rapist is totally responsible.

The only other reservation I have is the fact that such exceptions will no doubt be subject to fraud and abuse, quite in the same manner as the original “Jane Roe” falsely claimed to be a victim of gang rape, when it was a flat out lie. She was in fact an irresponsible, drug pusher and addict and alcoholic who had already given up two children for adoption prior to becoming pregnant with “baby Roe”. Lucky for baby Roe, the final SCOTUS decision in Roe vs Wade wasn’t reached until after she was born. But Jane Roe, aka Norma McCorvey was a rather despicable narcissistic abuser of drugs, alcohol and children, and her legacy now includes a significant portion of the 63 1/2 Million babies aborted since 1973. Too bad Abortion wasn’t available when her mother was pregnant with her.
correct

I am all in favor of abortion for rape (and incest).... what I am not in favor of is women using abortion as a contraceptive (while it may be a small percentage, we have all seen the skanks that are 19 and have already had 5 abortions (its like jeez, have you ever heard of the pill, or told the guy to put on a raincoat(code for condom)))

a lot of people dont understand genetics

a lot of these people dont understand that rape is a crime

rape is wrong (it is actually a crime after all (even though the liberals like to set them free)....

that rapist planting an unwanted, FORCED seed into a woman is a crime....

that pregnancy will have deep psychological affects in that victim...

if the victim is a very young teenager/preteen she is more likely to die (teenage pregnancies are the number one reason for maternal mortality )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies