Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 06:37 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,727,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Exactly. Either Brown-Jackson lied or is stupid. Take your pick.
Her saying she wasn't a biologist in no way endangers a precedent that has been in effect for 50 years.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,906,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Exactly. Either Brown-Jackson lied or is stupid. Take your pick.
I think she avoided a dumb question.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,906,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Democrats lied too. They took an oath to uphold the Constitution.
Which Democrats are you referring to?

Old 06-24-2022, 06:38 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,032,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
We have always been the UNITED States. With individual but similar laws for most things. One country. This SC decision and any others that get overturned and "returned to the states" are only adding to the reasons we are splitting apart at the seams.

I hope my grandkids don't end up having to flee this country like my grandparents had to flee unlivable places in Europe back in the early 1900s.
You are missing the point entirely. The STATES part is as important as the “United” part.

What is a “state”?

“A state is a political division of a body of people that occupies a territory defined by frontiers. The state is sovereign in its territory (also referred to as jurisdiction) and has the authority to enforce a system of rules over the people living inside it.

“The United States as a country is considered a sovereign state before the international community. Furthermore, the United States is divided into fifty sovereign states…

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/state

Did you ever consider why we have 50 different governors, state legislatures, state highway patrols, state education guidelines, state national guards, state borders, etc.? We aren’t just being cutesy with 50 different names where people live. The states are geopolitical entities in and of themselves.

We are “United” in our language, currency, common defense, and those specific things enumerated in the Constitution.

Literally EVERYTHING ELSE is left to the states. That is what today’s ruling was about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
From it's very inception, that is exactly how the USA has functioned.

United States of America and United Nations of America mean exactly the same thing. States were always intended to function more like independent countries. That is precisely how the Constitution was written and intended. This is why laws vary from one state to the next. The USA is simply functioning exactly as it was designed to.
Indeed. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Unfortunately, poor women won't be able to go to another state to have an abortion, even if their lives depend on it, or even if they can't afford to care for those children. Banning abortion is not going to make some people more responsible. States like OK and TX will just have to step up to support these children and/or pay the medical expenses of those born with severe disabilities.
Poor women can still get free birth control.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:39 PM

19,692 posts, read 10,028,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Which Democrats are you referring to?
The three dissenters.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:40 PM

5,514 posts, read 6,115,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It is now, but Congress could codify it into law with 60 votes. But don't worry, that won't ever happen.
Personally I don't think either a federal ban or a federal right passed by Congress would be Constitutional as it is not within the enumerated powers. They may try to stuff it into interstate commerce (where they try to put anything that isn't squarely in the enumerated powers) but I think it's a stretch too far regardless of which direction they go. It isn't a federal issue.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:41 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,515,050 times
Your assumption that pregnancy can always be prevented is nauseating. There are many women who have extremely irregular cycles. I was one of them. The only time I could expect to have sex without contraception and not risk getting pregnant? When I was actually having my period!

Also, do women really have the choice to use condoms?! How many men are ready and willing to use a condom? In my experience, men have begrudgingly agreed while whining about "taking a shower in a raincoat", etc.

And what about the women who can't take birth control pills, because the side effects just happen to be worse for them?

Make no mistake, this isn't about babies. It's about control over women, nothing else. Keep 'em in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Women already have the choice to use condoms & birth control pills.
Women also have the choice of understanding their own menstrual cycle & fertility windows so they can avoid getting pregnant.

It's not rocket science.
Any woman with an IQ above 80 can easily avoid getting pregnant and will never need to have an abortion.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:42 PM

19,692 posts, read 10,028,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Personally I don't think either a federal ban or a federal right passed by Congress would be Constitutional as it is not within the enumerated powers. They may try to stuff it into interstate commerce (where they try to put anything that isn't squarely in the enumerated powers) but I think it's a stretch too far regardless of which direction they go. It isn't a federal issue.
Exactly. Under the Constitution it is a states rights issue.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:44 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,448,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Your assumption that pregnancy can always be prevented is nauseating. There are many women who have extremely irregular cycles. I was one of them. The only time I could expect to have sex without contraception and not risk getting pregnant? When I was actually having my period!

Also, do women really have the choice to use condoms?! How many men are ready and willing to use a condom? In my experience, men have begrudgingly agreed while whining about "taking a shower in a raincoat", etc.

And what about the women who can't take birth control pills, because the side effects just happen to be worse for them?

Make no mistake, this isn't about babies. It's about control over women, nothing else. Keep 'em in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant.
there are women who don't want a man to wear a condom because it does not feel as good for a woman either.

you are right pregnancy can happen if precautions are taken. I heard of woman who got her tubes tied and still got pregnant.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:46 PM

33,840 posts, read 16,862,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Even former justice Ruth Ginsberg acknowledged the Roe v Wade decision was wrong. In the decades since the Roe V Wade decision the US Legislature had the opportunity to either amend the Constitution or pass a federal law.
and since it effectively takes 60 Senate votes to codify, Obama and Harry Reid could have, if they had chosen to in 2009 instead of passing the awful ACA.

That was the last single party control era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies