Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2022, 10:12 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Yes, the first paragraph is totally your opinion. End.Stop.

If you bothered to read what I write, you will see that I have called labeling pro choice folks baby killers as demonization. Not that I expect you to bother with anything that doesn't fit your preconceptions. People like you are so tiresome. Anyone who dares disagree with anything you say or believe is the enemy . You don't have the slightest ounce of ability to see outside your own views and consider that others that hold differing opinions than you might not be evil *******s but regular people who simply view a fetus differently than you and place more value on it than the pro choice side does. This doesn't mean you should agree with them, but you choose to see anyone not on your side as a evil religious nut callously trying to ruin the lives of everyone . How sad for you . And how childish
Feel sad for the 12 year child who is an incest or rape victim being forced to give birth. I’m good.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:18 PM

23,562 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Texas, 30 days after the SCOTUS decision is final, abortion is banned. The only exception is to save the life of the mother, and mental distress is specifically excluded. No exception for rape. No exception for incest. No exception for mother having severe depression.
If there are exceptions, then it's not banned.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:27 PM

8,143 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

Old 06-30-2022, 10:35 PM

23,562 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Don't hurt yourself just because you don't know the difference between ban and restricted.

ban
[ban]

VERB
officially or legally prohibit:

re·strict·ed
[rəˈstriktəd]

ADJECTIVE
limited in extent, number, scope, or action:

Old 06-30-2022, 11:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Again bc fails. It’s called pro choice she has three options. She doesn’t care or need your subjective approval of her choice.

A fetus doesn’t trump the will of a full grown woman. It’s her responsibility to do as she sees fit.
There were always limits set on when a woman can seek an abortion so a woman’s choice to do as she sees fit was never absolute. The pro-choice crowd cried foul when MS lowered the cutoff to 15 weeks and that was a fate worse than death because it forced the pro-choice women to either s**t or get off the pot and make a decision.

With them it’s all or nothing. So they went to court to challenge it with their only ammo being precident based on the Liberty/Privacy clause that was suspect by most scholars. When our founding fathers drafted the constitution those two words didn’t mean having a woman’s Uterus scraped. They gambled in court and lost. They should not have contested MS 15 week ban then you would still have your 50 state Carte Blanche for fetal extermination.

You are entitled to your opinion if you believe a woman should have the arbitrary right to preserve human life in the womb, but to force that on all 50 states through federal legislation by way of eliminating the filibuster is setting this country down a dangerous path. You can move to a state that has it, or book a flight/drive to said state.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:31 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
It is banned for all normal intents and purposes. No exception for rape or incest, no exception for fetal defect incompatible with life. The Legislature very generously, but reluctantly, does allow the woman not to die.

Texas Health and Safety Code section 170A

Sec. 170A.002. PROHIBITED ABORTION; EXCEPTIONS. (a) A person may not knowingly perform, induce, or attempt an abortion.

(b) The prohibition under Subsection (a) does not apply if:

(1) the person performing, inducing, or attempting the abortion is a licensed physician;

(2) in the exercise of reasonable medical judgment, the pregnant female on whom the abortion is performed, induced, or attempted has a life-threatening physical condition aggravated by, caused by, or arising from a pregnancy that places the female at risk of death or poses a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function unless the abortion is performed or induced; and

(3) the person performs, induces, or attempts the abortion in a manner that, in the exercise of reasonable medical judgment, provides the best opportunity for the unborn child to survive unless, in the reasonable medical judgment, that manner would create:

(A) a greater risk of the pregnant female's death; or

(B) a serious risk of substantial impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant female.

(c) A physician may not take an action authorized under Subsection (b) if, at the time the abortion was performed, induced, or attempted, the person knew the risk of death or a substantial impairment of a major bodily function described by Subsection (b)(2) arose from a claim or diagnosis that the female would engage in conduct that might result in the female's death or in substantial impairment of a major bodily function.

(d) Medical treatment provided to the pregnant female by a licensed physician that results in the accidental or unintentional injury or death of the unborn child does not constitute a violation of this section.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:35 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
There were always limits set on when a woman can seek an abortion so a woman’s choice to do as she sees fit was never absolute. The pro-choice crowd cried foul when MS lowered the cutoff to 15 weeks and that was a fate worse than death because it forced the pro-choice women to either s**t or get off the pot and make a decision.

With them it’s all or nothing. So they went to court to challenge it with their only ammo being precident based on the Liberty/Privacy clause that was suspect by most scholars. When our founding fathers drafted the constitution those two words didn’t mean having a woman’s Uterus scraped. They gambled in court and lost. They should not have contested MS 15 week ban then you would still have your 50 state Carte Blanche for fetal extermination.

You are entitled to your opinion if you believe a woman should have the arbitrary right to preserve human life in the womb, but to force that on all 50 states through federal legislation by way of eliminating the filibuster is setting this country down a dangerous path. You can move to a state that has it, or book a flight/drive to said state.
Yes there’s always been limits and regulations. The pro choice calls foul because it chips away and puts further restrictions on what should be between a woman and her doctor. The chipping away has begun in earnest as now in some states victims of rape and incest will have to go through pregnancy being victimized yet again. Talk of not allowing women free access to travel to obtain abortions and shutting down abortion pills and birth control. Pro choices supports all women no matter her choice, birth and adoption as well as abortion. Unlike anti choice who want no choice in all aspects of a woman’s personal life forced on all women.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:52 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
The reason for a woman having an abortion is none of your business. Period.
Dozens of states will adopt laws either restricting abortion or eliminating it, and the clinics and doctors in such states will obey them.

It's not a matter of your opinion, my opinion, nor some pregnant women. Those are the facts.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:56 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
The reason for a woman having an abortion is none of your business. Period.
It is when taxpayers are paying for it. Period. There are endless stipulations one must meet before receiving government money for school, housing, food, business, etc.

Where was this "my body my choice" narrative during COVID vaccine and mask mandates?

Old 07-01-2022, 02:19 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Dozens of states will adopt laws either restricting abortion or eliminating it, and the clinics and doctors in such states will obey them.

It's not a matter of your opinion, my opinion, nor some pregnant women. Those are the facts.
I studied public health in graduate school. I went to a Catholic college as an undergraduate. The general "vibe" I got was that Catholics were generally expected to be Republican because of the abortion controversy. But I have done historical research and found that SCOTUS had a strong avenue to overturn Roe vs. Wade back in the 1990s but didn't do so. The legal research led me to conclude it was political. After that, I concluded that the Republican Party was truly "anti-abortion". It was just an ostensible political slogan to attract conservative, religious voters. But in reality, they just didn't overturn it when they had a chance back then.

However, decades later, I am very surprised that SCOTUS overturned Roe vs. Wade. I didn't think it was realistic. But now it's happened. From the policy perpsective, the issue has now been pushed to the state governments. This means the fall election will have a hyperfocus on this topic.

But there are multiple issues for the fall election:
* inflation
* gas prices
* a looming recession
* a Russian-Ukrainian War
* etc.
These factors above could turn on Democracts.

There are other confounding "counter factors" - the youth vote. Generation Z and Millenials are much more pro-abortion. They have never lived in a time when abortion was not allowed. I think they might turn out in higher numbers than before. On the other hand, a young adult just starting out a career and trying to buy the first car or home may just be overwhelmed by the economy with inflation or a looming recession.

So, it looks like the fall election could go either way. The true impact would be in the "purple" states - will they have a red or blue wave? I think if the inflation continues to rise and the a recession is officially identified as having started, then the fall election might go red in some purple states.

If gas prices somehow go back to normal levels from a couple of years ago, then perhaps abortion will be amplified. But that doesn't seem realistic. Inflation is not to be underestimated. As a child, I remember when it ended Jimmy Carter's presidency. Inflation was a running gag in the 1980 film "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell where Carter was lampooned much like Biden is now - "Look out Marshall Lucky, it's high prices!".

As a Catholic, I know the Church is againt abortion. But I am confused about sensitive topics like ectopic pregnancy? That is a dangerous condition for the mother. It is not a viable pregnancy as I understand it. But I defer to the board-certified experts on that medical condition. This is not easy politically and scientifically. Many physicians must be in turmoil right now on the legal, scientific, and ethical ramifications of dealing with abortion. I am glad I never went to medical school when I had the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies