Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 08:40 AM

16,870 posts, read 10,507,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Great step #1. I am so thrilled.

Now step #2 is for states to ban abortions outright.

Then step #3 is for Federal legislation and a constitutional amendment to ban abortions across the entire nation.
My current governor wants no restrictions. Next year I’m hoping we can flip the legislature and impose some reasonable 16 week restrictions.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-24-2022, 08:41 AM

17,188 posts, read 12,030,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Not at all. It only calls for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to stop being involved in all of our bedrooms.

Please stop misreporting things to advance you agenda.
Right the federal government had protected us from states that actively did legislate what goes on in your bedroom. That is keeping government out, they're being invited back in.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:42 AM

7,212 posts, read 4,489,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
The point was that it's a government intrusion to our rights. It doesn't affect me since I will never have to make that decision for myself as a male, howerver, it affects me since it's a step from government taking away my rights. First this, what next?
There never was a right to an abortion. There is no "right to privacy" in the constitution.

Prior judicial activists gave your "rights" that you were not supposed to get.

We simply corrected the error.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:42 AM

18,651 posts, read 7,499,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But this is only step one. Next step will be the push to get the majority in congress to ban all abortions. That is step two.
Well, that got decided today.

And the verdict is: No way. Ain't gonna happen.

Today the USSC decided that the Fed govt will have NOTHING to do with abortion restrictions, permissions, or anything else. It's all up to the states now.

So all the rioters, judges-house-demonstrators, birth-counselling-center-attackers, and other harpies, will have to pack up their suitcases on hotels around DC, and move to hotels near their state capitals instead.

See you there.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:44 AM

24,354 posts, read 9,215,737 times
Roe v Wade just got overturned.

The left only did this to themselves. They forced the pendulum swing, and now it has swung back.

Quote:
The Supreme Court in a 6-3 decision on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that established the constitutional right to abortion in the U.S. in 1973.

The court's controversial but expected ruling gives individual states the power to set their own abortion laws without concern of running afoul of Roe, which for nearly half a century had permitted abortions during the first two trimesters of pregnancy.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/06/24/...on-rights.html

Old 06-24-2022, 08:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,893,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Abortion isn't banned. That authority now goes to the states.
The Biden administration is already working on how to address it for states that may ban abortion.
They are considering giving "birthing people" who want abortions travel/hotel money so they can go to a state that does abortions.

People are traveling today to states that allow late term abortions. I don't see that changing much.
Before anyone moves to another state, say for a great new job opportunity, they will have to thoroughly research state laws on a variety of issues to see if they can live under those rules. How many other longstanding precedents will now be "returned to the states?" Every state will become like it's own mini-country
So be careful if you think about moving. You will have a lot of research to do.

Last edited by ansible90; 06-24-2022 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-24-2022, 08:49 AM

45,318 posts, read 26,877,726 times
Roe v Wade has given legislators cover for almost 50 years.

Now if they want to allow abortion on a national basis - they will have to go on record with votes, and have meetings and discussions about this practice of death.

8,855 posts, read 5,330,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Abortion isn't banned. That authority now goes to the states.
The Biden administration is already working on how to address it for states that may ban abortion.
They are considering giving "birthing people" who want abortions travel/hotel money so they can go to a state that does abortions.

People are traveling today to states that allow late term abortions. I don't see that changing much.
Please tell me the Hyde Amendment would ban such a ridiculous expenditure of taxpayer dollars.

35,508 posts, read 17,749,825 times
And . . . there it is. Thomas wrote a concurring opinion that contraception, same sex relationships and same sex marriage should be reconsidered.

As ALL of us who are paying attention, predicted.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:50 AM

39,002 posts, read 50,967,063 times
I'm no historian, but is there a situation ever in our history where a right that people enjoyed for decades and generations having been taken away by a partisan decision of the Supreme Court?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies