Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2022, 03:13 PM

1,200 posts, read 619,478 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not going to give up on the U.S. Times are very different compared to the U.S. I grew up in but I can deal with it. In my old age I find that there is constant change, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the not so good (as with life itself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 03:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
No, I'm not going to give up on the U.S. Times are very different compared to the U.S. I grew up in but I can deal with it. In my old age I find that there is constant change, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the not so good (as with life itself).
Thank you for the refreshing and reasonable take. No matter where you are on the political spectrum, this is a healthy mindset.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:18 PM

908 posts, read 441,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
One issue we have no is we no longer have a functioning liberal party. The Democrats have become progressives, where individual rights are no longer important, group rights are. And the end justifies the means. The left was always there to put a brake on the excesses of the right. But now, the leftist party has more authoritarian tendencies than the right.

I used to view the ACLU as essential. They even stood up for the Nazis right to march in Skokie, Illinois. However, they have abandoned any belief in individual rights They just support whatever position the progressive left supports, which often limits inidividual rights.

Indeed the lack of liberalism in the proper classic sense of the term is also a great weakness of this age , as is the lack of conservatism in the similarly proper classic sense .

American society , like all other developed world ones really , has become extremely bereft of both the value of liberty and tradition , a combination that is especially ruinous .

Old 06-25-2022, 03:19 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I am all for democracy. Put issues up for a popular vote.

Here’s a starter list

Paid maternity leave
Abortion in the first trimester
Gay marriage (since Clarence Thomas is eyeing that)
Universal healthcare.
Campaign finance limitations.
Independent redistricting commissions to undo gerrymandering.
Congressional and Supreme Court term limits.
Marijuana legalization.
Trans bathrooms
Yes, put them up for popular vote by state.

Across the nation is meaningless.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:21 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
Exactly- this my country and we will overcome. I don’t run away because we have problems. Time changes everything, the next crew might do better.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So ignore all the writing on ectopics and how these legislators behave and just wait until a law is in place. Then wait years to try and get it repealed? Until then observing all the writing and claims is just fear mongering.

I cited the data 5/12 voted against eliminating the ectopic language. 5/12 that is not 0/12 that is not 0 percent. That is almost passing.

Everything else supports this argument. The ill informed conservatives will try to outlaw treatment of ectopics if given the chance.

You haven’t offered anything to refute this. All you can try and do is belittle all the other past behavior and offer up a narrative.

The behavior of the conservatives speaks for itself.

Here’s another gem from the Federalist.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/09...c-pregnancies/

I admit the author published a week later that she changed her mind but has the Federalist taken it down? No. This article came out in 2019. The Ohio proposal requiring doctors rei plant an ectopic was in 2020. Could the Federalist have taken down the article? Yes. Why didn’t they though? Because of a desire to create doubt and misinform.

You offer nothing to refute these behaviors. All you can say is”it hasn’t happened yet so don’t worry about it”

Stop being naive.

Cite an actual law on the books in the US that bans ectopic pregnancy treatment.

Just one.

Not hypotheticals.

Not a proposal, an actual law.

Why won’t you do that?

Because you can’t.

Your posts are intentionally dishonest.

Someone could say that we’re going to implement sharia law and push gays off of rooftops and stone women who dare to drive. But the likelihood of that happening is next to nothing. So to keep hollering that women are going to be dying because of hick lawmakers in the heartland and the south is —again— fear mongering.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinglegend View Post
So much TDS in your username. Florida will overcome you far leftist crazies.
For the 1 millionth’s time -see when I joined CD 2007- my deceased son gave me this name with our first home PC. Not changing it because some scoundrel took office after the fact. Stay on the subject

Old 06-25-2022, 03:41 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,565,068 times
It may be a $hithole nation, but it's my $hithole nation. We have a somewhat democratic nation. When a majority is too misinformed, uninformed or just too stupid to make good choices, you get bad governing. All major media and press are owned by oligarchs whose best interests are keeping the masses too divided to act in their own interests. The gatekeepers of the dissemination of information get to cherry pick the news and how it's spun.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Cite an actual law on the books in the US that bans ectopic pregnancy treatment.

Just one.

Not hypotheticals.

Not a proposal, an actual law.

Why won’t you do that?

Because you can’t.

Your posts are intentionally dishonest.

Someone could say that we’re going to implement sharia law and push gays off of rooftops and stone women who dare to drive. But the likelihood of that happening is next to nothing. So to keep hollering that women are going to be dying because of hick lawmakers in the heartland and the south is —again— fear mongering.
There are none that I know of, but a woman was arrested because of a miscarriage in a no abortions state. Let’s do go there .

Old 06-25-2022, 03:45 PM

187 posts, read 68,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This country won its independence and freedom due to citizens bringing violence into politics!

We are getting ready to celebrate July 4th soon!

***Which is celebrating citizens that resorted to violence AGAINST THEIR OWN GOVT.

Yup, I think this is something people really don't think about. Rebels took rifles and shot at soldiers sent by their king at the time. Think about that, they risk everything, not just their lives, but their families futures. They shot at soldiers. They placed a metal blade at the end of their muskets, ran towards the soldiers, drove the blade into them.

Rebels. If they lost we be reading about how they were traitors and caused an.....insurrection? Geeze maybe that is why gun control is so popular these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies