Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 10:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

15 weeks is really generous compared to most of the world. At some point we need to accept that we cant do whatever we want whenever we want just because some people think we should be able to.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:58 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
"DeSantis signed a bill on Friday that would ban [abortion] after 15 weeks with no exceptions for rape or incest."
I'm against abortion, in general. But I vehemently oppose not having an exception for rape. Not having that exception is, in my opinion, re-imposing slavery. Basically breeder slavery. It's sick. I'm not a woman, but if I were and if I thought the way I do right now, I would commit suicide before I bore the devil's spawn of the subhuman vermin that did that to me.

And, leftists, please don't give me crap here. Again, if I were a woman and I were raped, that IS NOT my choice; if I chose to hit the sack and spread my legs, that IS my choice. There is a difference.

As for DeSantis, looks like he's leaving a window... but he's also leaving it wide open. I'd have gone another route.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:05 AM

6,380 posts, read 2,705,140 times
Quote:
"DeSantis signed a bill on Friday that would ban [abortion] after 15 weeks with no exceptions for rape or incest." https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-significantly

I have been an enthusiastic supporter of DeSantis until now. If I were a young woman living in Florida, I don't think I would vote for him for governor now, however. And if he is the Republican POTUS candidate in 2024, the Democrats would need to run another senile candidate or a Progressive like Harris or AOC for me to vote for him now, I think.

The fact is that there should always be exceptions to the rule. The fact that he did not allow for cases in which the fetus had at least a 50/50 chance of being born dead or needing 24/7 care for the rest of his/her life (or being in severe and unremitting pain) is without defense, in my opinion.

This is a quote from the April 2022 article https://www.npr.org/2022/04/14/10844...n-law-15-weeks that went into the bill he signed then. (I am not sure what the different is, if any, from the bill he signed yesterday.) QUOTE, my italics:

The new 15-week ban does not make exceptions for cases of incest, rape or human trafficking. It does allow an abortion if it would save the life of a pregnant person or prevent serious injury to them. The law also includes exceptions for fetal abnormalities that are discovered after 15 weeks. In such cases, two doctors must sign off saying the baby will die shortly after birth before an abortion can happen. [end quote]

The fact is that amniocentesis cannot take place before the 15th week, and tests to determine whether the fetus has certain severe genetic diseases are not known for three days to a three weeks after that.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-significantly

In regards to Rape or Incest. This accounts for less than 1% of all abortions. If a woman is raped or thinks she could be pregnant, she is going to get tested early on. When Texas made its law at 6 weeks, many "critics" said it should be 12 weeks. He made it 15 weeks, in effect negating that complaint by actually adding 3 additional weeks(almost 4 months). So this seems quite a reasonable compromise(maybe considered too much by some) by an "Adult" in the room.

As for the health of the mother, or the survivability of the fetus, the new law seems to have addressed your concerns.

Quote:
It does allow an abortion if it would save the life of a pregnant person or prevent serious injury to them. The law also includes exceptions for fetal abnormalities that are discovered after 15 weeks. In such cases, two doctors must sign off saying the baby will die shortly after birth before an abortion can happen.
It doesn't look like they have removed this exception with the new law.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:30 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Quote:
"DeSantis signed a bill on Friday that would ban [abortion] after 15 weeks with no exceptions for rape or incest." https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-significantly

I have been an enthusiastic supporter of DeSantis until now. If I were a young woman living in Florida, I don't think I would vote for him for governor now, however. And if he is the Republican POTUS candidate in 2024, the Democrats would need to run another senile candidate or a Progressive like Harris or AOC for me to vote for him now, I think.

The fact is that there should always be exceptions to the rule. The fact that he did not allow for cases in which the fetus had at least a 50/50 chance of being born dead or needing 24/7 care for the rest of his/her life (or being in severe and unremitting pain) is without defense, in my opinion.

This is a quote from the April 2022 article https://www.npr.org/2022/04/14/10844...n-law-15-weeks that went into the bill he signed then. (I am not sure what the different is, if any, from the bill he signed yesterday.) QUOTE, my italics:

The new 15-week ban does not make exceptions for cases of incest, rape or human trafficking. It does allow an abortion if it would save the life of a pregnant person or prevent serious injury to them. The law also includes exceptions for fetal abnormalities that are discovered after 15 weeks. In such cases, two doctors must sign off saying the baby will die shortly after birth before an abortion can happen. [end quote]

The fact is that amniocentesis cannot take place before the 15th week, and tests to determine whether the fetus has certain severe genetic diseases are not known for three days to a three weeks after that.

Don't see how that would make any difference. Most women would know if they were raped or involved in incest prior to the 15 week period!! This should give them plenty of time to abort.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:37 AM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
15 weeks is a VERY reasonable period for abortion.

I will repeat: most countries in Europe, often idolized by woke US progressives, do NOT allow abortion on demand past week 16 of pregnancy except in exceptional circumstances. Sweden is the only exception at 18 weeks.

by week 15, a woman will 100% know she is pregnant.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Well, I am a female, a native Floridian, and this law is MORE than generous IMO. I do not understand the OPs concerns or objections since it pretty much covers everything. Bottom line, women in our state DO have a choice. This, like almost everything else, shows how sensible our governor is. I am 100% in support.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:12 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
That's what you get for reading MSM news....you get whatever story THEY want to tell you.

Read the bill...section 390.0111 specifically about when abortion after 15 weeks IS ALLOWED.
Rape/incest pregnancies can well be taken care of during those first 15 weeks.
If you got raped would you wait 7-8 months ?????

https://flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/20...illText/er/PDF

Old 06-25-2022, 12:35 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm against abortion, in general. But I vehemently oppose not having an exception for rape. Not having that exception is, in my opinion, re-imposing slavery. Basically breeder slavery. It's sick. I'm not a woman, but if I were and if I thought the way I do right now, I would commit suicide before I bore the devil's spawn of the subhuman vermin that did that to me.

And, leftists, please don't give me crap here. Again, if I were a woman and I were raped, that IS NOT my choice; if I chose to hit the sack and spread my legs, that IS my choice. There is a difference.

As for DeSantis, looks like he's leaving a window... but he's also leaving it wide open. I'd have gone another route.
If the law allows for abortions up to 15 weeks pregnancy, that should be plenty of time for an abortion in the case of rape or incest. Most women know they are pregnant well before the 15th week, and if they know the pregnancy is a product of rape or incest, they can make their decisions regarding its termination.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Actually, your quotation says, "In such cases, two doctors must sign off saying the baby will die shortly after birth"

Most "defective" fetuses would fit this definition.

With having fifteen weeks to get an abortion, which means exceptions for rape and incest are not necessary, I am not seeing the problem with this bill...
I don't believe that is true for most severe genetic diseases -- or at least not many of the genetic diseases that I am familiar with. I am admittedly biased because I have personally been familiar with three severely disabled children with two different diseases, and one lived to the age of seven and one lived to the age of 21.

However, if you are talking about those born with severe physical abnormalities that are apparent at birth -- such as being born with only half of a vital organ, you might be right.

But whether we are talking about dozens or about tens of thousands of cases where a child is born who lives a relatively long time needing 24/7 care, I think the parents should have had the right to decide for themselves to abort or not. It is the parents who are responsible for the care of the child, NOT the government (unless, of course, they reliinquish that care to someone else, in which case the care ends up being paid by tax money).

You will not change my mind on this.

Again, I am fine with 15 weeks being the limit for the great majority of abortions, but not for ALL of them.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-25-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-25-2022, 02:23 PM

1,601 posts, read 866,468 times
Quote:

I had not heard that DeStantis was advocating a Federal law restricting abortion. Can you please post a link to the article where he says that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies