Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 12:09 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Um, a minority government can not be tyrannical, since it has a minority. It would HAVE to get others from the other parties to help them become tyrannical.

Or, don't you understand the Westminster Parliamentary system?
Well said. Trudeau is not a tyrant, nor is his government tyrannical. As a minority government in a Westminster Parliament, he must seek compromises and agreements with the other parties in Parliament (currently, there are five of them) if he expects to get anything done. If his government goes ahead with what he wants to do, regardless of the input of the other parties in Parliament, those parties can vote to defeat the government with a vote of non-confidence. If the government is defeated, we'll typically have another election, though there are other options that can be pursued by the Governor-General, and which Trudeau can do nothing about. As I've said before, these are our checks and balances, and they result in Trudeau being hardly a tyrant in the mold of Mao Tse-tung, Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Nicolai Ceaucescu, or Kim Il-Sung.

It should also be noted that Trudeau and his government have few powers that affect Canadians in their daily affairs. He and his government have no power over how old one must be to drink alcohol, how fast we can drive on our highways, legalities regarding renting accommodation, having to wear a mask in a Montreal bar, whether Calgary churches are restricted to 15% of fire capacity, and so on. Those and others are provincial jurisdiction, and Trudeau has no power over them.

In short, unlike Mao et al., Trudeau cannot dictate every aspect of Canadians' lives. He must work with others who oppose him, and even then, what his government can do is narrowly-defined. He's no prize, but he's not a tyrant.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 07-01-2022 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 06:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well said. Trudeau is not a tyrant, nor is his government tyrannical. As a minority government in a Westminster Parliament, he must seek compromises and agreements with the other parties in Parliament (currently, there are five of them) if he expects to get anything done. If his government goes ahead with what he wants to do, regardless of the input of the other parties in Parliament, those parties can vote to defeat the government with a vote of non-confidence. If the government is defeated, we'll typically have another election, though there are other options that can be pursued by the Governor-General, and which Trudeau can do nothing about. As I've said before, these are our checks and balances, and they result in Trudeau being hardly a tyrant in the mold of Mao Tse-tung, Josef Stalin, Adolf Hitler, Nicolai Ceaucescu, or Kim Il-Sung.

It should also be noted that Trudeau and his government have few powers that affect Canadians in their daily affairs. He and his government have no power over how old one must be to drink alcohol, how fast we can drive on our highways, legalities regarding renting accommodation, having to wear a mask in a Montreal bar, whether Calgary churches are restricted to 15% of fire capacity, and so on. Those and others are provincial jurisdiction, and Trudeau has no power over them.

In short, unlike Mao et al., Trudeau cannot dictate every aspect of Canadians' lives. He must work with others who oppose him, and even then, what his government can do is narrowly-defined. He's no prize, but he's not a tyrant.
This is a good post Chevy. I'm glad you mentioned that while he is no tyrant, he is also no prize. The latter needs to be emphasized because this P.M is extremely flawed, and I think his time should soon come to a close as PM of Canada. Not because of how Fox news and Tucker Carlson labels him, not because of his socks or all the silly exaggerations and falsehoods being spewed about him, but because of how he is governing and who he has become, or maybe more accurately, who he has been revealed to be.

We can do better! We could do worse but he has become smug, arrogant and out of touch with a lot of Canadians. Saying to Canadians that they have 'unacceptable views' is not the hallmark of a PM that is the PM for ALL Canadians, regardless of their views. Where was he in terms of reaching out to millions of Canadians who were struggling - nowhere he ran away from Ottawa just automatically dismissed them - all as being a fringe bunch of lunatics and nazi's. Instead of engaging with them and really listening, he talked down to them and judged them outright. He sounded/sounds like an automaton on replay. If you don't fall in line with his brand, you are now dismissed and relegated to have not status -whilst his smugness and self-righteous holiness is naturally the arbiter of everything right.

So his words to me have lost meaning. I don't want to hear his apologies about wearing blackface, I want to know WHY he did it in the first place. He was a grown adult when he did it, yet he felt it was appropriate. If that was isolated I might have accepted his apology, but I was still reeling with how he dealt with JWR and Jane Philpott. How he used a minion to try to persuade and influence the Attorney General of Canada on a legal matter to do his bidding all in the name of jobs. He may not have absolute power, but he reeks of corruption and incompetence. Why did things have to escalate to the point of having to enact the emergency measures act and really, overextending use of power that probably could have been deflated before it reached that point, if only he had been a leader for ALL Canadians. So, I just started seeing him for who he is because of his actions. Those actions are of a entitled, self-righteous, smug and arrogant man who is anything but the sunny ways he presented himself as. He has a serious authenticity issue and pretty much everyone can see it.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-01-2022 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-01-2022, 06:48 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Sure, Fusion, but do you think Pierre Poilievre will be an improvement?

Old 07-01-2022, 07:37 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Sure, Fusion, but do you think Pierre Poilievre will be an improvement?
NOPE! He's of the same stripe but just a different entitlement azzhat.

Trudeau had so much promise and was handed the chance to shine but instead, all those things he did for the quick back-slap have come back to bite him big time.

The Jody Wilson Raybould resignation over the SNC Lavalin affair.

Julie Payette.

The WE charity scandal.

Committing to a partnership to develop the F-35 with the attendant jobs creation in Canada to then watch Trudeau back out of the deal, only to later watch him turn around and again consider buying the things at greater costs today with no jobs reward for Canada in the offing. It beggars understanding how these idiots manage to tie their laces in the morning. Maybe there's instructions printed on those silly colourful socks he insists on wearing.

Our national police force seems bent on self destructing with one debacle after another showing up in the news on an almost continual basis.

It would appear our top military leaders have a problem keeping within the minimum rules of decorum expected of your average hormone driven teenager with a four door car and a large allowance.

The throwing of money around during the pandemic while healthcare funding is held to bare minimums.

The waffling over what to do during the Ottawa protest with Trudeau allowing Ford to skate from any responsibility of the policing in his Province. Trudeau seems incapable of using any of the facts in his favour to put his opposition on their back foot. Conservatives are aligning themselves with the mandate protestors while ignoring their Ontario Conservative Premiere poster boy demanding Trudeau do something about those law breaking unwashed miscreants .

Now comes the news that our new RCN replenishment ships will be delayed by another two years. Making us dependent upon an older leased ship marginally suitable for the role and our fellow NATO members to replenish our ships on missions abroad until at least 2025.

Ford cut all elderly care home inspections to almost nil when he first took office with only 29 out of over 360 homes being inspected and they were even warned ahead of time they'd be inspected to then have us watch as the elderly in those homes dropped like flies during the onset of the pandemic. We got to watch as Ford pretended to weep crocodile tears for those people he deliberately put in harms way.

Ford now says he's going to cut fuel taxes and guess which budget he'll cut to make up the shortfall.

It makes me want to dig a hole and pull it in after me. Perhaps we could entreaty the Queen to allow us a do over? Maybe she could assign Princess Anne to come on over and clean house by getting rid of every single one of those Duffyesque appointed senators and keep our MP's after school for some lessons in ethical non-partisan stewardship.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:49 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Such silliness.

Tyranny?

In a minority government?
Did you not see the draconian rules and mandates Canada was forcing upon its people during COVID?? Geez, be blind to all, I don't care. You are the one forced to live in that crazy screwed up country.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
NOPE! He's of the same stripe but just a different entitlement azzhat.

Trudeau had so much promise and was handed the chance to shine but instead, all those things he did for the quick back-slap have come back to bite him big time.

The Jody Wilson Raybould resignation over the SNC Lavalin affair.

Julie Payette.

The WE charity scandal.

Committing to a partnership to develop the F-35 with the attendant jobs creation in Canada to then watch Trudeau back out of the deal, only to later watch him turn around and again consider buying the things at greater costs today with no jobs reward for Canada in the offing. It beggars understanding how these idiots manage to tie their laces in the morning. Maybe there's instructions printed on those silly colourful socks he insists on wearing.

Our national police force seems bent on self destructing with one debacle after another showing up in the news on an almost continual basis.

It would appear our top military leaders have a problem keeping within the minimum rules of decorum expected of your average hormone driven teenager with a four door car and a large allowance.

The throwing of money around during the pandemic while healthcare funding is held to bare minimums.

The waffling over what to do during the Ottawa protest with Trudeau allowing Ford to skate from any responsibility of the policing in his Province. Trudeau seems incapable of using any of the facts in his favour to put his opposition on their back foot. Conservatives are aligning themselves with the mandate protestors while ignoring their Ontario Conservative Premiere poster boy demanding Trudeau do something about those law breaking unwashed miscreants .

Now comes the news that our new RCN replenishment ships will be delayed by another two years. Making us dependent upon an older leased ship marginally suitable for the role and our fellow NATO members to replenish our ships on missions abroad until at least 2025.

Ford cut all elderly care home inspections to almost nil when he first took office with only 29 out of over 360 homes being inspected and they were even warned ahead of time they'd be inspected to then have us watch as the elderly in those homes dropped like flies during the onset of the pandemic. We got to watch as Ford pretended to weep crocodile tears for those people he deliberately put in harms way.

Ford now says he's going to cut fuel taxes and guess which budget he'll cut to make up the shortfall.

It makes me want to dig a hole and pull it in after me. Perhaps we could entreaty the Queen to allow us a do over? Maybe she could assign Princess Anne to come on over and clean house by getting rid of every single one of those Duffyesque appointed senators and keep our MP's after school for some lessons in ethical non-partisan stewardship.
You realize your rant is so specific few people here can really understand the points being made -- lol.

Ford......OMG -- how does he get away with it?

I can't vote in the provincial elections but I can in the federal and I do.

But boy do I wish I could vote in Ontario....

Old 07-02-2022, 10:59 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They should throw in a couple executions just to make their point clear.

or send them to a concentration camp like your hero from history?

Old 07-02-2022, 11:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
A private company made a gross error. The police were just acting on what they were told. They were told lies or misinformation however you want to phrase it.

It is a PR nightmare for Air Canada -- as it should be.

Old 07-02-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You realize your rant is so specific few people here can really understand the points being made -- lol.

Ford......OMG -- how does he get away with it?

I can't vote in the provincial elections but I can in the federal and I do.

But boy do I wish I could vote in Ontario....
Dang; I wish you could also.

Yeah, my rant meter still had some time left on it, so in the immortal words of Jackie Gleason - "and away we go"

Last edited by BruSan; 07-02-2022 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-02-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Did you not see the draconian rules Canada was forcing upon its people during COVID?? Geez, be blind to all, I don't care. You are the one forced to live in that crazy screwed up country.
Whaah? Draconian rules forced upon ALL Canadians??? Nope. All the rules of mandates and masking, social distancing, business closures, etc., were rules imposed by the various Provincial legislatures, some of which (the highest populated one, Ontario) being conservative led and were not federal in origin.

Rules that were virtually the duplicate of those imposed variously in the U.S. ?? Those draconian rules?

You did eventually figure out the trucker's protest about vaccinations being mandated to cross the border into Canada - duplicated exactly a rule enacted by Washington about vaccinations being mandatory to cross the border INTO the U.S. therefore rendering their protest against Trudeau redundant.

Those stupid truckers were not affected by Canada's Federal (Trudeau) mandate to be vaccinated to RETURN/ENTER to Canada if they couldn't leave in the first place by order of the U.S. having the very same mandate.

You did eventually figure that out, didn't you?

No Canadian is forced to live here, we choose to live in a country rated as being a better place to live than the rushing to regress to 1800's U.S. Go figure.

Last edited by BruSan; 07-02-2022 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies