Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 02:51 PM

25,403 posts, read 9,682,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think I heard those exact words in regards to overturning Roe v. Wade.
The difference being SS would affect many of the politicians and judges out there. They don't want to lose theirs either.

I feel certain that those who are advocating for its demise are nowhere near retirement age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Considering that my idea would give more money to senior citizens, I would like to...
Do you actually think there is "money" out there to be returned to everyone who has paid in? That's like saying everyone who has an account at their bank can come on in and withdraw their money. It's all on paper, and no way is there enough money in the SS fund to do that.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'd give the people all their money back, w/ a reasonable return upon investment, & allow all future wage earner to keep all their earnings, and invest as they see fit.

I'd do the same for unemployment, & medicare....no more payroll taxes or deductions...you earn $1,000/wk, you take home $1,000 a week. I could sell that easily.
Then you should run for Congress.

There is not enough actual money in Social Security to do what you are advocating. It's not like it's sitting there in a big pile.

And you can forget about taking away Medicare. $1,000 a week would not even cover some of the illnesses and diseases out there that people are getting treated for. I have a friend in her late 60s who just spent four months in the hospital after having had emergency surgery. I cannot even begin to imagine what her bills are. You think $52K a year will cover multi-million dollar medical bills?

Old 06-27-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So you approve of working people forcefully paying into a system in which (only speaking in regards to people physically able to work) did not contribute equally get an equal share?

I'm fine with ending social security. Give me my money back and I'll invest it myself. I'm also fine with having people fund their own healthcare. My only exception are for those who are truly handicapped and actually need the assistance. What I don't want to fund are those who have figured out how to game the system.
How old are you?

No way can people who have debilitating diseases be able to fund their own healthcare. Some individual's bills are into the millions.

How are people gaming Social Security and healthcare? Maybe disability in some cases. But you don't "game" SS and healthcare.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:04 PM

5,260 posts, read 5,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Lets start with marriage. Overturn federally protected same sex and interracial marriages. That should get the ball rolling.
Take my right away...no thank you...go f yourself

Old 06-27-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Take my right away...no thank you...go f yourself
Suggestions like these are always from people who are not affected. Like wanting to take away SS and Medicare. I'm sure they are nowhere near retirement age. It's only about them and what they want. It's unfortunate that they couldn't care less about others.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:11 PM

13,719 posts, read 5,469,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Suggestions like these are always from people who are not affected. Like wanting to take away SS and Medicare. I'm sure they are nowhere near retirement age. It's only about them and what they want. It's unfortunate that they couldn't care less about others.
The SCOTUS already ruled on people having no rights to either Social Security or Mediwelfare. On the SSA website, visit the Fleming v Nestor page for more on that...

Congress can change those entitlement laws any time they want and you can go pound sand. Go visit their website and see for yourself.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The SCOTUS already ruled on people having no rights to either Social Security or Mediwelfare. On the SSA website, visit the Fleming v Nestor page for more on that...

Congress can change those entitlement laws any time they want and you can go pound sand. Go visit their website and see for yourself.
They're the ones who would be pounding sand when their sorry asses would be voted out of office. You gotta remember, most of them get SS and Medicare too.

They're called entitlements because we're entitled to them because of having paid into them our entire working lives. Neither of those are "welfare."

Old 06-27-2022, 03:34 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,597,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How old are you?

No way can people who have debilitating diseases be able to fund their own healthcare. Some individual's bills are into the millions.

How are people gaming Social Security and healthcare? Maybe disability in some cases. But you don't "game" SS and healthcare.
What does my age have to do with anything?

Did you miss the part where I said excluding people who physically cannot work? I'm not opposed to some version of assistance, but it needs to be much more difficult to obtain.

There are plenty of people who game the system. They game the healthcare system by faking injuries (typically back since it's the most difficult to diagnose) in order to get on disability. See it all the time. They game the welfare system as well. All of these social safety nets that were designed to help people who really need it are also being used by people who just do not want to work.

We were on vacation last week. Neighbor in the condo next to us (our age). 6 kids... all under 8 years old. She knocked on our door the next morning to ask my oldest son and I to help her bring up their luggage. We obliged. Get to her car (pretty new Mercedes SUV) and she's parked in a handicapped spot with a handicapped placard, but had no issues using the stairs to climb 7 floors since the elevators were packed with people checking in. Car reeked of weed, and as we were unloading her suitcases and her box of bottles of liquor, she asked us if we knew whether or not the local grocery stores took WIC.

She's gaming the system(s) plain and simple. People like us who work every day and pay our way foot the bills.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:34 PM

31,343 posts, read 14,082,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
As we have just been reminded...SCOTUS rulings can be overturned.

Its time to revisit many more past rulings...like:

-Obamacare its been revisited 3x, & upheld, but since the mandate penalty tax is now gone, that nullifies the law. Roberts only ruled it constitutional due to it being a tax...which its not.

-Social Security https://www.ssa.gov/history/court.html It was deemed unconstitutional for months until Roosevelt threatened to pack the court, & bullied the SCOTUS to allow it.

-Federal Withholding - the feds have a constitutional right to tax, but not to deduct it from each paycheck.

There are many more past rulings that could easily be overturned, so I hope this is just the beginning. Fed overreach is costing us all too much, & its unsustainable. Gov't now takes ~50% of GDP & climbing, whereas in 1930 it took just 10%. The chart below depicts big gov't overreach, & its costs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...ending_GDP.png

*This chart is through 2018 and doesn't include Trillions in stimulus Trump & Biden added.

Gov't expanded their role unconstitutionally, & the only peaceful & legal ways to reverse this is through the SCOTUS, and/or a Convention of States. It should be obvious to us all that DC isn't going to do it willingly. Both parties are on the same team, & we are their opponents, when it comes to spending. We must stop losig to them.
Big wins for conservatives on guns and abortion. Let's keep it going.....let's see more liberal tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies