Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 06:51 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Trump, who had no political or military experience, will be the closest thing we ever see to a 3rd party candidate winning the WH.

Americans are far too stubborn to elect outsiders or 3rd party candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 06:55 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Just for giggles, lets say they are 4 major parties. And all 4 parties received around the same amount of votes. They were all split. The winner would only have won by a little over 25% of the vote. That is how Hitler was elected in a multiparty system in Germany pre WW2. However I believe Germany had around 16 parties at the time.
Germany and most of Europe still have 4-5+ political parties, your spill about electing Hitler doesn't negate the fact that millions of people need a political party that represents their interests, and that means more than two parties.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:26 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Trump, who had no political or military experience, will be the closest thing we ever see to a 3rd party candidate winning the WH.

Not stubborn....INSANE! They keep electing failed Ivy League Lawyers from wealthy families to run the country, & those losers have us $30.5T in debt. Voters do it over and over and over again, and expect different results...duh!

Old 07-01-2022, 11:35 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Not stubborn....INSANE! They keep electing failed Ivy League Lawyers from wealthy families to run the country, & those losers have us $30.5T in debt. Voters do it over and over and over again, and expect different results...duh!
Democrats and Republicans both run up the national debt as elected presidents. Clinton left us with a budget surplus at the end of the 1990's which was the last economic boom decade with far more uniform prosperity. We now have 10 year cycles of inflated bubbles and collapses that generally hit the bottom half of the population harder.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:07 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,984,560 times
A couple years ago while reflecting on where this country went wrong in electing leaders after Reagan, I was perplexed why I personally wasn't more interested in voting for Perot in '92. At the time I was 27, only out of the military for 2 years having served overseas for a few years, so wasn't up on national politics like I would have been if I had been in the U.S. during the last half of the '80s. So I decided to do some research on Perot and the positions he took on issues to see if there had been something I missed or that I disagreed with.

After purchasing his book United We Stand: How we can take back our country, eventually I got to the issues that made me not vote for him. 1) He was pro-abortion, which surprised me since he had a boy scout image; and 2) He wanted to raise gas taxes so high that Americans would be forced to drive less, all in an effort to fight global warming. After reading the book I had a clear recollection of those two stances on issues being the reasons I decided not to vote for him.

I believe many of us would like to see a new sane party take hold to fight the insanity we see our politicians perpetrating on the nation, but if it's going to happen it'll be a very tough fight. Like here in Ohio, S.B. 193 from several years ago, nicknamed the Re-elect John Kasich Act (he was the Governor at the time and running for re-election), makes it very hard for third parties to get on the ballot. The Green Party, The Libertarian, and the Constitution Party usually can't get on the ballot. Imagine a new party trying to get on it.

After the 2024 election I'll never vote for Republicans again, and swore off the Democrat party a long time ago after seeing what they've done to the country. And only way I vote for Republicans in '24 is if Trump runs. He was the best president in my lifetime and I was born in '65. People can say what they want, but at least he did what he promised to do when running for office. Unlike many politicians who admit later they just say what they have to to get elected.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Although NAFTA was actually signed into law by President Clinton on December 8, 1993.
Yes Clinton had the formal role of signing but it was Bush and both parties that negotiated every detail in NAFTA.
Clinton agree with what was there and signed it.

Trump did too -- for allt he talk of the new NAFTA -- the new NAFTA wasn't a big change to what was already in place.

No matter how folks want to spin it -- politicians like NAFTA and will stick with it.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think Bush defeating McCain in the 2000 GOP primary was a big mistake in hindsight. I think McCain wouldn't have made same mistakes in Iraq. The left in the USA was dead after 9/11 and it mostly revived died to the Iraq War lies. If you dislike Obama and today's Wokeism you should recognize that is where it began. Hillary voting for the war is the main reason she wasn't the overwhelming primary winner in 2008 with Obama instead being VP.

I feel that Clinton did a good job and governed from the center, don't see how Perot could've left the USA in any better shape by 2001.
I agree. “Woke” culture definitely slowly and gradually got its start under Obama. He laid the seed, and it took off from there. Far right Trump culture, obviously started under Trump. Now everything is a mess…

Old 07-03-2022, 03:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Trump was far from a 3rd party candidate, he aligned himself with the GOP establishment from day 1. He passed the establishment tax law, nominated the establishment judges, he continued the establishments war in Afghanistan. He was a puppet for the GOP establishment, not even close to 3rd party.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:02 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
We would have not even remotely faced the current barely functioning government, and the rise of the far right and far left. Those candidates try and get votes for being elected president on every wedge issue under the sun.

Conclusion, the US is a failure for not having a strong viable third party.
I voted for Perot. I'm not sure how effective he would have been, since he'd have both parties gunning for him on day 1.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:08 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Didn't Ross Perot scuttle Bo Gritz's candidacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies