Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 12:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It almost seems like people who want women to move forward with an unwanted pregnancy are the evil ones. Like they want that woman to feel shame, not to get to live the life she wants, all because of a one time sexual encounter (that maybe wasn't even her choice).
Thank you.

Round of applause.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I didn't insult anyone.

Unless you consider being a post menopausal liberal, a lesbian or being unable to decide your gender an insult?

I thought the Left celebrated all those things?

Those are all people who can't or probably won't get pregnant anyways.
My opinion is in your post you are sneering at those people you list. They are people like anyone else, and have a right to their opinions. No need to throw left handed insults.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So you see a human fetus as no more than an ant?

A parasite to be removed, lest it cause you undue inconvenience?
Hey Bob. You have never been pregnant or been through the pain of childbirth. These are a lot more than a "mere inconvenience."

Last edited by ansible90; 06-29-2022 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Will they put their money where their mouth is and pay all re-location expenses?

Bump up their pay if they move to a higher cost of living state?

If not, it's all window dressing and virtue signaling.
Every company can make their own rules. You know that. This is not some law where every company has to give the same benefits as every other company.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
These greedy corporations would much rather throw a few bucks at an abortion clinic to avoid giving a mother time off for maternity leave.

It's all about the money. The corporations spend less if more of their female employees choose to kill their unborn children. Sad, really.
No it's about respecting someone's right to do as they please with their own body. By law they have to give them time off for maternity leave. How is that even relevant to the OP? Or are you just trying to obfuscate?

Old 06-29-2022, 01:50 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Sadly becoming a mother these days is more complicated than it once was. I wish it wasn't but it is. People don't want to settle, they don't want a dead end job, they want a healthy 401k and savings account, they want to buy a house. Many young people's way of thinking has changed. They put themselves first, their happiness first. Do I agree with this way of thinking? Not necessarily and in some ways it's sad that people put money first more than anything (because basically that is what is happening). People are terrified of being in debt or living paycheck to paycheck, having no retirement, paying for a kids college and unfortunately children can certainly cause all that to happen to someone who is young and unprepared.

People have this thing of they want their kids to have a better life than they did, they don't want their kids to go without, they want their kids to have the best of everything.

How can we paint this perfect picture of American life and what a 'good' family is and then expect a single 19 year old to not want an abortion if they get pregnant?

Old 06-29-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
People in a coma can't feel pain or the emotional aspect of fear. Is it legal to kill them for the sake of convenience?

Good question, as that's what the pro-abortion contingent supports.

Capital punishment is a sentence pronounced on one who has been convicted by due process of committing a heinous crime. War deaths are an act of national or self-defense. How has the child in utero committed any crime or committed an act that needs a response of self-defense in anything other than a case in which the mother's life is at risk? Where is the due process for the child in utero?

People in a coma for a long period of time often have life support removed and they are allowed to die. That is usually considered legal. I have never heard of a coma patient being murdered.

Capital punishment deaths and war deaths are something our society has DECIDED are valid deaths to allow to happen. They both represent the deliberate killing of born people. Yet we have a very recent killing of people in war that most consider a war crime... Russia sent a bomb into a shopping mall the other day.

Why is killing people at a shopping mall wrong but other war deaths are acceptable? The only difference is that humanity (at the country level) has DECIDED if it is acceptable or not.

Likewise, some people believe aborting a 6 week or 10 or 12 week pre-person is wrong, but war deaths are ok. Both views are based on human-made rules about what is acceptable.

So who is being disingenuous about which kind of killing is right and which kind of killing is wrong?

Something to think about. And please think about it before reflexively replying to this post with whatever your usual stance is.

Last edited by ansible90; 06-29-2022 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 02:00 PM

984 posts, read 442,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
People in a coma for a long period of time often have life support removed and they are allowed to die. That is usually considered legal. I have never heard of a coma patient being murdered.

Capital punishment deaths and war deaths are something our society has DECIDED are valid deaths to allow to happen. They both represent the deliberate killing of born people. Yet we have a very recent killing of people in war that most consider a war crime... Russia sent a bomb into a shopping mall the other day.

Why is killing people at a shopping mall wrong but other war deaths are acceptable? The only difference is that humanity (at the country level) has decided if it is acceptable or not.

Likewise, some people believe aborting a 6 week or 10 or12 week pre-person is wrong, but war deaths are ok. Both views are based on human-made rules about what is acceptable.

So who is being disingenuous about which kind of killing is right and which kind of killing is wrong?

Something to think about. And please think about it before reflexively replying to this post with whatever your usual stance is.
Not to mention, nobody is forced to give up their bodily autonomy for living, breathing people, so why should embryos and fetuses have more rights than those living, breathing people? If I need a kidney and you're a match, I can't force you to give me your second kidney simply because I'll die without it. If I need a skin graft from a donor, I can't force my next door neighbor to give me some of her skin. Even if you or my neighbor dies, I still don't have the right to take your organs.

But for some reason, an embryo can reside in a woman's body without permission, permanently altering her body and putting her at risk of all of the many potentially deadly things that can happen to pregnant women (pulmonary emboli, eclampsia, stroke, heart failure, etc.)?

As of right now, in some states, a dead person has more rights to their body than a woman of childbearing age.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think this person is making a point: either we believe "all life is precious" or we don't. Do we? Do you?

Do you believe ALL life is precious?

Or let's just take it down to human life and no other life. Is all human life precious? Then war is now illegal, and killing in war is murder. Capital punishment is also murder. Fighting to keep your taxes instead of feeding a hungry child, and allowing that child to starve to death, makes you an accessory to murder.

People who claim they believe "all" life is precious, usually don't. Where the rubber hits the road, often it really comes down to: all life that still looks cute and hasn't done anything we personally think of as unsavory yet, is precious. After that, all bets are off.

The cruelty and irony being that that is the point where this life CAN feel ALL pain, fear, neglect, hunger, and anything else that's thrown at it.

So who's really more cruel?

And who, besides the now deceased Mother Teresa (and even her motives are now questionable based on her journals), truly believes "all" life is precious?

To pro-lifers, all BIRTH is precious. After that...the gloves come off and it's "let that mother feed the kid or else tough, she should have kept her legs closed."

Who's really the cruel faction here? And who is actually supporting *a person's life*?

Pro-birth virtue signalers want to prove how great they are by "saving babies," because that sounds cute. Babies! They're so cute.

THESE SAME people said, even right here on this forum the other day, that as babies they're "adoptable" but after that they're "hood rats for foster care."

That's pro-life? Nope. That's virtue signaling until birth, then...go starve, hood rat.

The hypocrisy - AND cruelty - are staggering. "I want God to think I'm a great person, so I'm going to work hard to force babies to be born into terrible conditions, then I'm going to walk off and let them all starve...but hey, I'll get to heaven."

I think we all know where the real cruelty lies, and the real hypocrisy, and I think we are all over the "pro-life people are such good people" lie. Baloney.
Very good and thoughtful post. A lot of truisms here.

Last edited by ansible90; 06-29-2022 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 02:14 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Nope i didnt say it was dead.

Our society also paints an awful picture of single mothers. It seems like it's a lot of people's nightmare to become a single parent and let's be honest it's the mother that gets responsibility for the baby if she has it. There are so many stories of awful marriages and hard lives that people have because they accidentally got pregnant in their late teens/early 20's. Many women grew up watching a single mother struggle or a friends single mother struggle and vowed never to be like that. That's where abortion sometimes comes in.

Maybe if society made it easier to survive on one income and didn't have such shame towards single mothers there'd be less abortion as well. Many women have abortions because they fear they will shame themselves or their families. Or they just know they wont be able to move forward in a career they want and will be stuck in a dead end job and have fewer partners to choose from- since many men don't want a single mother.

oh and day care. Not taking a huge percentage of that single mother's paycheck for daycare might be nice also.

I mean can you really blame someone for not wanting to be a single mother?
Fair point. And I think it is fair to say that many of those who are opposed to abortion are also often opposed to expanding society’s social safety net. So, in summary, they are: opposed to abortion, take a dim view of single mothers, and oppose expanding financial support for so called “deadbeats”. Classic Catch 22 huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies