Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 02:44 PM

16,403 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're describing a lot of personal irresponsibility. Why would anyone be so irresponsible with their own health? And why do you think that being irresponsible grants anyone the right to kill others?
I have no idea. I'm not sure young people think of having unprotected sex with a partner they trust as irresponsible with their health. If it's a one night stand that's another story with STDs out there.

You're awfully judgemental i must say. Has everything in your life gone along perfectly planned? You do everything you should for your health? If you do then consider yourself privileged. Not everyone has this luxury. There are also lots of mentally ill people out there who certainly don't take care of themselves and many of them DO go on to have their babies.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:48 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
How does a person in a coma eat if not on life support (feeding tube)?
https://www.orlandohealth.com/conten...n-life-support

Old 06-29-2022, 02:48 PM

16,403 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
That's a bizarre way to look at it. Maybe you're projecting. The only thing that's important in the issue is life. Even the CDC tracks fetal mortality rates. they're counted as human deaths.
I'm not sure what's so bizarre about it? It's bizarre to me that you think some poor woman who has possibly been molested by and uncle should have her baby. Or even a young medical student who made a bad decision and skipped her birth control pills for the month and opps is pregnant and doesn't want to be at this point in time. Do you think they should pay for their mistake or have an abortion so they can continue on as planned or not have child born into incest.

People have issues with pregnancies they WANT to keep but physically can't. Abortions have to be performed. Is this the same to you as someone who just isnt ready to be a mom?

Old 06-29-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have no idea. I'm not sure young people think of having unprotected sex with a partner they trust as irresponsible with their health. If it's a one night stand that's another story with STDs out there.

You're awfully judgemental i must say. Has everything in your life gone along perfectly planned? You do everything you should for your health? If you do then consider yourself privileged. Not everyone has this luxury. There are also lots of mentally ill people out there who certainly don't take care of themselves and many of them DO go on to have their babies.
It has nothing to do with judgment. It's factual. Abortion causes death. We all know that. Personal irresponsibility happens. How does being irresponsible give anyone the right to kill another? There is no judgment in any of that. It's a simple question.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Not to mention, nobody is forced to give up their bodily autonomy for living, breathing people, so why should embryos and fetuses have more rights than those living, breathing people? If I need a kidney and you're a match, I can't force you to give me your second kidney simply because I'll die without it. If I need a skin graft from a donor, I can't force my next door neighbor to give me some of her skin. Even if you or my neighbor dies, I still don't have the right to take your organs.

But for some reason, an embryo can reside in a woman's body without permission, permanently altering her body and putting her at risk of all of the many potentially deadly things that can happen to pregnant women (pulmonary emboli, eclampsia, stroke, heart failure, etc.)?

As of right now, in some states, a dead person has more rights to their body than a woman of childbearing age.
Yes. Excellent points.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:55 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes it does make one wonder. The most vocal against abortion might very well be those who had an abortion early in life and still feel shamed by it. Maybe because someone close to them made them feel shame and they are still trying to redeem themselves to a long gone elder in their lives. Who know? . Sigh.
An overriding factor in those most vocal is a complete absence of compassion for the women who get abortions. Put aside the obvious rape and incest cases, who sometimes do earn a grudging scrap of sympathy from even the most vitriolic of the so-called right-to-life crowd.

There are no feelings for the desperation of the frightened teen who thought it couldn't happen to her, or the young woman whose boyfriend lied and said he loved her only to disappear when the pregnancy became known, or worse, after she said yes to sex, or the college student who regrets drinking too much and having casual sex outside of a solid relationship but who knows the downward spiral she faces in life if she doesn't terminate her pregnancy. And let's not forget the daughters of the most angry and vicious of the "they should just not have sex" mob who could never in a million years confess a pregnancy to their parents.

No, it's all about casual abortion and simply not taking responsibility. The expectation of perfection from others is just one layer of the ice locked around their hearts.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You're describing a lot of personal irresponsibility. Why would anyone be so irresponsible with their own health? And why do you think that being irresponsible grants anyone the right to kill others?
Because many many teens and even some young adults are by definition irresponsible. Everyone is not you.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

No, it hasn't. But that doesn't mean I can kill another just because their presence in my life, caused by my own irresponsibility, would be an inconvenience to me.

Hell, why not just let us all kill our landlords when we can't pay the rent. Kill an ex-spouse just because we can't afford to pay alimony. Kill our children because we lost our jobs and can no longer afford to support them.

How utterly barbaric is that? See what I mean?

Old 06-29-2022, 02:58 PM

984 posts, read 442,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Fair point. And I think it is fair to say that many of those who are opposed to abortion are also often opposed to expanding society’s social safety net. So, in summary, they are: opposed to abortion, take a dim view of single mothers, and oppose expanding financial support for so called “deadbeats”. Classic Catch 22 huh?
And often opposed to birth control.

Old 06-29-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I don't agree that personal irresponsibility should give anyone the right to kill another.
And I ( and an awful lot of other people) do not consider abortion in the early weeks before the "new life" as you call it has developed into a person, to be murder. Some of us believe that an unborn entity that has no chance of survival outside the body of the woman it is growing in is not a person. Not possible to murder a nonperson (or unperson)

Last edited by ansible90; 06-29-2022 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies