Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do women need to take more responsiblity for their sexual health?
Yes 192 75.29%
No 59 23.14%
Not Sure 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 05:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Whoosh! The minority of sexual encounters are undertaken for the sole purpose of procreation.

Exactly. I'm sure a lot of us participating in this forum were unplanned. I know I was - my parents wanted to delay parenthood for at least 2 years after they married. Oops ... My mother was unplanned as well; my grandmother was 46 and believed she was in menopause when my mom was conceived.

Not surprised.

Incorrect. Guttmacher Institute has been independent of Planned Parenthood for more than 15 years.

Which is about how old your statistics are.

Except it's a zygote, embryo, or fetus. Not a baby.

That's SCIENCE.

Yeah. Anyone can fudge statistics and we're seeing that in a major way here.

The statistic that our friend is skipping over is that 68% of women are using birth control consistently, and another 18% inconsistently (which is defined as women not using their chosen method correctly), over the course of a year. Only 14% are not using birth control, or have long gaps in use ("long gap" defined as using birth control but not all the time). While we must do better in ensuring that women have the best possible access to a variety of birth control methods, that they know how to use them, and that they're empowered to insist that their partners support their use of birth control, not using birth control isn't exactly the epidemic some people are painting it to be.
She also conveniently misses how they arrived at the data on page 40, which states nowhere that they found a direct link between someone missing a pill and then getting pregnant. It did note missing ONE pill as a risk factor, even though most current guidance does not show that is a risk factor for getting pregnant. Perhaps with methods available at the time of the study, that was the case, as it apparently comes from 2006-2010 data. Which again begs the question- why are we relying on data that is at least 12 years old?

Old 08-16-2022, 05:47 PM

89,012 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Whoosh! The minority of sexual encounters are undertaken for the sole purpose of procreation.
So WHY would so many women risk an unintended pregnancy by NOT using birth control? Hence the poll question in this thread.

Quote:
Incorrect. Guttmacher Institute has been independent of Planned Parenthood for more than 15 years.
It was founded by Planned Parenthood.

Quote:
Which is about how old your statistics are.
It's the most recent comprehensive data on unintended pregnancies Guttmacher has. They still refer to it (the report I cited and linked) in more recent publications.

Quote:
The statistic that our friend is skipping over is that 68% of women are using birth control consistently, and another 18% inconsistently (which is defined as women not using their chosen method correctly), over the course of a year. Only 14% are not using birth control, or have long gaps in use ("long gap" defined as using birth control but not all the time). While we must do better in ensuring that women have the best possible access to a variety of birth control methods, that they know how to use them, and that they're empowered to insist that their partners support their use of birth control, not using birth control isn't exactly the epidemic some people are painting it to be.
The point is to specifically look at the data on women who have unintended pregnancies as they're the ones who seek to obtain abortions. Is that really too hard for you to understand?

It is in fact TRUE that 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to women VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex during the month of conception, by their own admission.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:17 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So WHY would so many women risk an unintended pregnancy by NOT using birth control? Hence the poll question in this thread.

It's the most recent comprehensive data on unintended pregnancies Guttmacher has. They still refer to it (the report I cited and linked) in more recent publications.

The point is to specifically look at the data on women who have unintended pregnancies as they're the ones who seek to obtain abortions. Is that really too hard for you to understand?

It is in fact TRUE that 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to women VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex during the month of conception, by their own admission.
Please cite to current data for that, because even the outdated study you post so frequently says no such thing.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Please cite to current data for that, because even the outdated study you post so frequently says no such thing.
That IS Guttmacher's most current comprehensive data on unintended pregnancies. Their current Fact Sheet on Unintended Pregnancy (2019) refers to that same study. Look for yourself:
https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...-united-states

And, yes it states EXACTLY that: Only 5% of women with unintended pregnancies were consistently using birth control during the month of conception. Please read the info related to the pie chart on the right in Figure 1.3, here:
https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/def...lth-reform.pdf

Inconsistent use of birth control leaves one unprotected from pregnancy, i.e. unprotected sex.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:54 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
As a man, I really do not understand why or how women are still "accidentally" getting pregnant in the 21st century. It makes zero sense.

-You have condoms.
-You have a variety of contraception and birth control options.
-You have the pull-out method.
-You have oral and manual stimulation options.
-A woman can track her menstrual cycle and avoid vaginal intercourse on the days she is fertile.

None of this is rocket science.

So why are women still "accidentally" getting pregnant?
Are they idiots? Irresponsible?
Did their birth control some how fail?

What's going on?

"In a study of sexual trends in the United States, researchers at the University of Utah found that promiscuity is rising for women and declining for men. The number of women who've had sex with more than 15 partners has increased over the past few decades, from 3 percent to 7 percent.
The opposite is true of men, who are having sex with fewer partners than they did in previous years, the researchers said."
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...-sexually.html
Why when the GOP seems to be taking all that power onto itself

Old 08-16-2022, 09:36 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's a scientific belief, not a Christian one.

You can do whatever the h-ll you want to yourself. Just don't go around killing other people because you feel like it.

Again, not a Christian belief.

Thanks for playing, though, it's always tedious to rock out the same tired idiotic argument to justify killing other people for convenience, isn't it.
Since when do republicans believe in science.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:21 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Then why don't these abortion clinics car enough about women to hire OBGYNs on staff for all shifts every day?They do not have them on staff for intake.

They are only there to do the abortions. A client of PP will never see a OBGYN until the procedure. Feet up in stirrups.

The client does not have a conversation about whether "an abortion is right for me with my trusted doctor so we can make an informed decision together" like the lie portrays.

Explain. The. Lie.

Explain why abortion providers refuse to hire OBGYN as regular staff since they care SO MUCH about women's health.
It's not a lie, it's a euphemism for Mind. Your. Own. Damn. Business.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
It's not a lie, it's a euphemism for Mind. Your. Own. Damn. Business.
Let's level the playing field, then. Let anyone kill another whom they feel is an inconvenience to them.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:24 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Why don't you ask them? Shouldn't take you long. It's only 14% of all sexually active women who aren't using birth control, according to the figures you keep quoting ... Oh, no, wait. That's the statistic you keep ignoring.

Quote:
That's not what you said initially:

Quote:
Ask Guttmacher (which is Planned Parenthood's research subsidiary)
Your backpedaling attempt is fooling no one.

Quote:
How odd. I don't see the word VOLUNTARILY (screaming upper case or otherwise) in the document anywhere.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Why don't you ask them? Shouldn't take you long. It's only 14% of all sexually active women who aren't using birth control, according to the figures you keep quoting ... Oh, no, wait. That's the statistic you keep ignoring.
I'm ignoring nothing at all. That segment that doesn't bother to use birth control either at all or use it inconsistently (not every time, etc.) are 95% of those who end up with unintended pregnancies and over 96% of those who get abortions. And 95% of that is easily prevented.

Quote:
That's not what you said initially:

Your backpedaling attempt is fooling no one.
Do you dispute the fact that Planned Parenthood founded Guttmacher to bolster their mission which includes killing as many minority babies as possible?

Quote:
How odd. I don't see the word VOLUNTARILY (screaming upper case or otherwise) in the document anywhere.
Read the data. They KNOW they're either not using birth control at all or have used it inconsistently but had consensual male/female sex anyway, because they admitted that themselves. That is indeed VOLUNTARILY having unprotected sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies