Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do women need to take more responsiblity for their sexual health?
Yes 192 75.29%
No 59 23.14%
Not Sure 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2022, 09:54 AM

88,554 posts, read 44,278,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You are incorrect. We arent talking about the biology of miscarriage vs. abortion, we are talking about the difference in how the respective dead fetuses are perceived.
No, we're talking about the difference between:

Miscarriage: an organically occurring event in which a mother doesn't/didn't actively decide to kill her baby
Abortion: a deliberate decision and action taken by a mother to kill her baby

Old 08-20-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So abortions have decreased since the highest number in 1990; 1,608,800 GI, 1,429,247 CDC, to 930,160, GI/629,898 CDC in 2020. The lowest number being in 2017. As well both the birth rate (15.57 to 11.99) and fertility rate (1.91 to 1.78)have been in decline. There is nothing else that this can indicate except women are having fewer pregnancies, both wanted and unwanted, and more women using BC correctly and consistently.
Never, never, never going to get a 100%. There are people that just aren't capable for whatever reason, education, genetics, environment, addiction, intelligence. Just like there are always going to be those who are perpetually unemployed and/or poor, those who become addicted to drugs, alcoholics, have medical issues due to diet, stay in bad relationships, become criminals, generally make bad decisions, etc.
That belies the fact that the highest-income women have the highest abortion rate, BY FAR (I've already posted the Brookings Institution stats). There's no way you can claim they're simultaneously high income AND somehow disadvantaged due to education, genetics, environment, addiction, intelligence, etc. factors.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Why do you think poor women remain poor? Even though I don't often agree with you, you're a very intelligent poster and you know why those numbers are what they are just as well as I do - it's those higher-earning women recognizing that for various reasons, having a child will often put a crimp in their earning potential (temporarily or permanently) and increase their expenses, thus decreasing their overall wealth potential. They recognize this because they are higher earning and often intelligent and driven and have generally made good decisions to that point to get where they are in life. Many have high student loan balances to deal with too. They're making a practical decision.

On the other hand, many of these women that are poverty level will have babies and remain poor because of it - they're often single and spend all of their time raising their kids instead of potentially improving themselves. Many of these babies aren't wanted and will end up not reaching their potential at best, or end up as criminals at worst because they're often not brought up in a stable environment. A small percentage will succeed regardless.

Imo it would be better for more wealthy women to have more babies and more women in poverty not to (and yes that means abortions) because my perception is that we are doing a great job of creating multiple generations of ignorant people while intelligent people don't have babies much at all anymore. Not popular to say, but would definitely lead to a better country over time. Unfortunately both the fact that poor women have a lot of babies and wealthy women don't is largely cultural at this point and unlikely to change. The best thing we as a country can do is significantly strengthen family-friendly policies (large amounts of maternity/paternity leave, expanded child tax benefits that apply to higher earning people, etc) that would make higher-earning women and couples more comfortable with the economic aspects of raising a child.
The point I was making is that women don't abort because they can't afford the cost of the birth or to raise a child, as some try to claim. Women who can least afford it actually have the LOWEST abortion rates.

Now would it be better if they used birth control in the first place so that having children didn't keep them perpetually poor? Of course! That's exactly why the vast majority of people voted in this thread's poll that women SHOULD take more responsibility for their sexual health.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:02 PM

1,904 posts, read 536,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Do men need to take better care of their sexual health? I mean, they have condoms and abstinence at their disposal. Why are they "accidentally" impregnating women given the financial and emotional support to which it obligates them?
Everyone needs to take better care of their sexual health. Some men are learning this from the monkeybox virus.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:15 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,132,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Everyone needs to take better care of their sexual health. Some men are learning this from the monkeybox virus.
No, EVERYONE does not. Most people are managing their sexual health just fine, easily avoiding unintended pregnancies, STIs, and unwise emotional entanglements. This thread throws shade at women in general while letting men off the hook. "Eve's" sexuality is portrayed as the font of all sin, and that needs to stop.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:17 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,136,136 times
Waiting for the day that the word "responsibility" is deemed sexist or racist or demeaning etc. I'm sure it's coming eventually. Sadly we live in a world where nobody wants to take responsibility and it's always the other guys fault or we have a belief system that our beloved government is there to solve all of our problems.

If I step back and look at this situation I hang my head in shame. We live in selfish times.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 536,247 times
Quote:
No, EVERYONE does not. Most people are managing their sexual health just fine, easily avoiding unintended pregnancies, STIs, and unwise emotional entanglements. This thread throws shade at women in general while letting men off the hook. "Eve's" sexuality is portrayed as the font of all sin, and that needs to stop.
Who is exempt, other than eunuchs'?

Old 08-20-2022, 01:56 PM

36,971 posts, read 40,917,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That belies the fact that the highest-income women have the highest abortion rate, BY FAR (I've already posted the Brookings Institution stats). There's no way you can claim they're simultaneously high income AND somehow disadvantaged due to education, genetics, environment, addiction, intelligence, etc. factors.
https://slate.com/human-interest/201...egnancies.html

"These statistics matter because they underline the one unchanging truth about the abortion rate: The only reliable way to lower the overall number of abortions women get is to make contraception accessible and affordable. Study after study shows this. Reducing abortion access isn’t just cruel but ineffective. Middle-class women may abort more of their pregnancies, but since they get pregnant way less often, they still have fewer abortions overall. Discouraging abortion just doesn’t work nearly as well as preventing unintended pregnancy in the first place.

Old 08-20-2022, 02:50 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,132,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Who is exempt, other than eunuchs'?
I think you understood my post perfectly. Most women, the vast majority, manage their sexuality without any problem at all, but the thread takes the tone that women (plural) need to take better care to avoid pregnancy. The thread heaps blame on women that is undeserved.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:00 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,907,579 times
Quote:
I think you understood my post perfectly. Most women, the vast majority, manage their sexuality without any problem at all, but the thread takes the tone that women (plural) need to take better care to avoid pregnancy. The thread heaps blame on women that is undeserved.
It’s been heaping the blame on women for 150 posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.