Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you against State Government overreach?
Yes 26 96.30%
No 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 08:26 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,555,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
It doesn't really matter, there's a lot of bums in large cities and they'd be better off without them, but that doesn't mean you can go around killing them even if that would fix the problem.
Right. That's not what I asked though. I asked where all these willing adoptive parents are because there are thousands of kids trapped in the system right now, who'd love to find a loving home. They're not forthcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 08:28 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Right. That's not what I asked though. I asked where all these willing adoptive parents are because there are thousands of kids trapped in the system right now, who'd love to find a loving home. They're not forthcoming.
Agreed, it's a problem. Not many people want to raise children that are not their own. I just think that problem is irrelevant to conversations about homicide.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:28 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
The query is a loaded question because there has not been state gov't overreach in decades, and in fact, its the federal gov't who have been overreaching since the 1930's.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:35 AM

4,297 posts, read 1,555,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The query is a loaded question because there has not been state gov't overreach in decades, and in fact, its the federal gov't who have been overreaching since the 1930's.
In that case, it seems incredibly unloaded.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,138 times
This makes no sense at all. Overreach basically means too far or excessive, so by choosing that word, everyone should say yes. It's subjective, but if one judges it to be overreach, it means they don't approve.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:43 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Laws are much easier to change at the state level giving people more voice. If overreach occurs anywhere, the state level is where it is most easily fixed.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:50 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
This makes no sense at all. Overreach basically means too far or excessive, so by choosing that word, everyone should say yes. It's subjective, but if one judges it to be overreach, it means they don't approve.
I'll term it another way. Do you approve or disapprove the vaccine mandates and abortion bannings done by certain States.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
In the past few years there have been huge examples of State Government overreach, such as with vaccine mandates and banning abortions.

For vaccines look at the many States which have made vaccine restrictions and forced people to take a vaccine some find poison. All in the name of safety and to prevent deaths.

Then there's States banning abortions, which is causing the Government to trample on the lives of women and forcing them to carry an unwanted pregnancy, which again some find this poison. All in the name to prevent the deaths of fetuses.

I believe that a good chunk of American's hate these examples of Government overreach. For vaccine mandates just going by here these are unwanted by many. And for abortion, in Texas for example only 35% percent support banning abortions in this State, which the Government of Texas has exactly done.

I don't support Government overreach. Do you?
overreach is at the federal level...which the SCOTUS is trying to correct......

Old 06-29-2022, 09:41 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Laws are much easier to change at the state level giving people more voice. If overreach occurs anywhere, the state level is where it is most easily fixed.
The nation's statehouses are gerrymandered even more than the US congress. State government is every bit as capable of minority tyranny as the Feds as long as representative government can be manipulated by partisans.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:41 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
There are many reasons.

First, it's not like anyone can adopt. When you are taking a child out of an horrific environment, or you are trying to place a child who needs a home, you have to be careful with who you select. It must be a stable home. That means that the child's financial needs will be met, the potential parent doesn't have a history of anything unlawful, there's support in the family, the home is acceptable, etc.

Second, some parents go through many kids before they find a fit. Yes, it really is like that. I'll use my own adopted parents as an example. Before I was adopted by them, they went through 4 attempts. One was eventually unavailable as their grandmother decided to take them. There was a set of twins, and they were forthcoming and honest, noting that it was more than they could take on. (They already had kids of their own.) One was so messed up - from whatever trauma that kid went through, they could not handle the child. Again, they were forthcoming and upfront about it. I came along - also from a terrible beginning, but apparently my problems were not as bad as the one I just mentioned.

So, it's not like you go through a catalog and just pick a child and go get him/her. It takes time, and sometimes, the child and the family don't work out, sometimes biological family comes along and takes the child, instead, and sometimes, the child needs far more than most parents can give - due to their lack of training or experience with the issues some of these kids have.

Also, unless you go through the foster care way, adoptions are not cheap.

We also have a big, fat problem with some people in this country who refuse to adopt anyone that is not their race. No, it is not "oh, white people" - white people seem to be far more open to adopting any race. But some other people will not do that.

Quote:
...patterns associated with race/ethnicity persist, proving there is still work ahead of us. Black/African American children, who make up 14 percent of the US child population, continue to account for 20 percent of those entering the child welfare system and American Indian and Native Alaskan children, who are one percent of the US child population, account for over two percent of those entering care.
https://www.acf.hhs.gov/media/press/...nsecutive-year

Here's what I can tell you. It's not necessarily the fault of the potential parents. The system will try to match race with race, more often than not, especially if the child is in foster care. Rather than give a black family a white child, they will try to give that family a black child. Same goes for whites. That's the system. Then you have to deal with those who don't want a different race from them, as I stated above, and again, it's not just 'white don't want black babies', it's people from all races don't want other race babies. The good news is, people from all races will also adopt any kid, don't care their race. But that is a big part of the problem - the system tries to bring a child to potential parents of their race, and/or some people don't want another race child.

A lot of people don't even consider foster care, again for many reasons. Maybe they don't know much about the foster care system, maybe they don't want to get their heart broken, repeatedly, when they foster a child, decide they would really like to adopt that child, but the child is sent back to their biological family, instead. That happens a LOT!

When you foster, they check out everything about you, and they are always contacting you. Some people can't handle that kind of 'intrusion' into their lives, not because they've done anything wrong, it's just a lot.

Many potential parents want younger kids. It's unfortunate for the older kids - the older they get, the harder they are to place.

I'm not belittling this number, not dismissing it, not saying it's not terrible for these kids, but when the argument of 'so many kids' is used, they imply it's hundreds of thousands, if not millions of kids.

The actual number?

20-30,000 per year age out of the foster system.

https://finallyfamilyhomes.org/the-problem/

https://nfyi.org/51-useful-aging-out...al-race-media/

It means something to those kids, of course, and it would be great if we could find permanent homes for all of them before they age out, but it's not this massive number as many want to imply that it is.

As of 2021, studies have shown that those in foster care are decreasing.

https://www.acf.hhs.gov/media/press/...nsecutive-year

In 2020, the total was around 407,000 kids in foster care. That means that if 20,000 are to age out, and we started with 407,000 - then something is working. Is it 100% Not much of anything is. Some of those kids will go back to their biological family, and they may go right back into foster care since some biological parents are complete trash.

But out of 407,000, 20,000 aged out. And you're trashing on the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies