Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:40 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As for American Indian Reservations, they are heavily dependent on financial aid from the BIA, which itself is subject to the Hyde Amendment prohibiting Federal funding of abortion. So, I would think no.

As for using Federal facilities: although I am for the right of a woman to choose and control her own body, I would be opposed to the Federal government using Federal facilities to facilitate abortion.
I don't think your first paragraph is correct. If the tribe builds and staffs the facility privately and patients self pay or have health insurance coverage, there would be no federal dollars spent on abortion. Reservation land is not federal land.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:41 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
The "blob of cells" argument is used all the time. When it is convenient. When they are confronted with the horror of that statement they backtrack to it being a very difficult decision. Out of convenience of course.

I guess it's just a matter of "knowing your audience".
Who are these "they" you are talking about. Women on youtube videos you have watched? Its a difficult decision.

Its brought up by activists and those in the public eye. That is why you are aware of it. That is not the average pro choice person. I am guessing you don't have many close personal friends who are strongly pro choice.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Well, women paint themselves in a weird light. On one hand it's a very difficult, heartfelt decision to have an abortion that women take very seriously. On the other, it's just a glob of cells, so who cares?
Well yes. In the beginning it is just a glob of cells. That doesn't make the decision any easier or less heart wrenching.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Federal money cannot be used to pay for abortions.
The Hyde Amendment is why that is the case.

Quote:
There is a lot of federal land that is not associated with the military. Those areas might be able to set up abortion clinics as long as the services are self pay or covered by private . health insurance.
Either the women pay for the abortion or through insurance or donations are collected to pay for services. Non of it would have to be federal money.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:46 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Well yes. In the beginning it is just a glob of cells. That doesn't make the decision any easier or less heart wrenching.

Why? In another thread it was compared to tonsils. I've never heard of someone torturing themselves over whether or not to have tonsils removed. Seems there is something different after all.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:50 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Why? In another thread it was compared to tonsils. I've never heard of someone torturing themselves over whether or not to have tonsils removed. Seems there is something different after all.
I don’t know why but I can tell you it is extremely emotional for many women.
Are you saying their emotions are invalid?
It may mean the end of a marriage, a crisis in religion or morals, a last chance to be a mother.
The emotions are not just about the blob of Cells but a path not taken.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I don’t know why but I can tell you it is extremely emotional for many women.
Are you saying their emotions are invalid?
It may mean the end of a marriage, a crisis in religion or morals, a last chance to be a mother.
The emotions are not just about the blob of Cells but a path not taken.
I think the blob of cells argument is more applicable to the guys who got the women pregnant since they are often less emotionally connected to the pregnancy. Regardless if its legal where the woman resides its a medical decision for her to make. It does not have to be justified or acceptanced by anyone. HIPAA. Something that was brought up during when vaccines were being pushed. And it was no ones business what a person decided to do about their medical care.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The Hyde Amendment is why that is the case.

Either the women pay for the abortion or through insurance or donations are collected to pay for services. Non of it would have to be federal money.
Yes. That is what I said.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
That tonsils post was from someone who was asking
the same basic question you are. You did not see that from a pro-choice person.

We all know that the initial clump of cells can develop into a baby. That is what makes abortion an agonizing decision. Most people who want to allow abortion want to do it before that clump of cells grows into a fetus that is capable of living outside the mother.

Tonsils, if left alone, cannot develop into anything else. See the difference?

Old 06-30-2022, 08:15 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
That tonsils post was from someone who was asking
the same basic question you are. You did not see that from a pro-choice person.

We all know that the initial clump of cells can develop into a baby. That is what makes abortion an agonizing decision. Most people who want to allow abortion want to do it before that clump of cells grows into a fetus that is capable of living outside the mother.

Tonsils, if left alone, cannot develop into anything else. See the difference?

Oh *I* see the difference fine. I brought it up because it seems both arguments are used, often by the same person, depending on what they hope to achieve, sympathy or indifferent acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies