Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

All we ever seem to hear on TV is "oh how terrible gas prices are". But when you think about, gas at $4 or more will really be good for America in the long term. Why? Simple- as gas prices rise, good old American innovation takes hold. If they stay high, we will see alternatives coming such as electric, hybrid and even hydrogen cars and we will see good reason to invest in things like high speed electric rail transportation which are really the future. This will, in turn, keep billions and billions of dollars here in America that otherwise would go over to the Arabs which use it in turn to hate us and blow us up whenever they can. I think that most of us are kind of tired of feeding the Arabs all our money.
Will there be short term pain? Yes but we can all lessen our pain now by cutting back on what we buy. I have found that I am saving lots of gas by being more careful about what trips I take (combining trips) and doing other things like walking my ass into a food place instead if idling in the drive thru lane. I also ride the subway a few days a week. Also, I hear people say all the time why they need a huge SUV but almost ALL of them I see have ONE person (the driver) in them. I am actually paying LESS now for gas than I did when it was $3 a gallon! The fact is that our short term pain- which will only last as long as our bad habits (buying a huge SUV and living 50 miles from work) last. Eventually most of us will adjust and the short term pain will become a long term gain as we send less and less money to the Arabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 10:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Those who can afford it LEAST are being harmed the MOST

Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Those who can afford it LEAST are being harmed the MOST
They always are no matter what is costing more. Were they not harmed by higher housing prices? Higher electric and gas? Food? At least they have the option of a smaller car or the bus.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
At least they have the option of a smaller car or the bus.
KevK, you make this blanket / absolute statement. But, it is untrue.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
I can see your point OP, except for the fact where I live there is no subway. The mass transit system here is laughable. It takes three hours to get anywhere. I live in one giant sprawling suburb where it takes almost half an hour or more to get to one's destination. Higher gas prices are not good for people in my shoes. Too, let's not forget that these higher gas prices translate into higher everything prices.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,532,828 times
How come the first successful electric car some 7 years ago was shelf then

Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Quote:
They always are no matter what is costing more. Were they not harmed by higher housing prices? Higher electric and gas? Food? At least they have the option of a smaller car or the bus.
Why do you really think that a family who is already struggling to fill the gas tank of their mini-van, which is bought and paid for, can afford to buy a smaller car? Poverty is a self-perpetuating cycle without education, a better job...something to pull people out of it.

The bus, sure. If there are bus routes that will take them to their destinations, and if the schools are in a safe neighborhood, etc.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:45 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
It's not the price of gas you put in your car you need to be concerned with. The high price of oil is driving the price of all goods, services and produce up...The consumer will be paying for the fuel the farmer uses in his machinery, the trucker to transport it, and on and on. The US is run on oil and you will be the one paying for it in the end...We have seen nothing yet!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Kev I'm wondering if it will take $20 a gallon gas for republicans to kiss and make nice with the liberal greenies for mocking them. hahahahahaa

Anybody wanna place bets??? $30 gas? $40?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
How come the first successful electric car some 7 years ago was shelf then
rent film "who killed the electric car"
Then ask republican agenda why they messed with california taking care of its own needs democratically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies