Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2022, 08:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, I'm not.

Why would you think I don't know what I'm talking about?
I know several young men some with kids (divorced) and some not who had no problem getting a V. OTOH I know a few young women with no kids who were denied a Tubal. That seems to be most people's experience. Of course I realize rules and laws differ by state as well its basically up to individual doctors which also differ within and among states.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:53 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Great thinking. Hopefully women are as responsible. So easy to have less unwanted pregnancies.
HA!

Women’s eggs are only fertile about 2 days each month. And that’s for a limited number of years.

That makes 24 days a year a women’s egg might get fertilized.

But men can cause pregnancy 365 days a year. In fact, if you’re a man who ejaculates multiple times a day, you could cause multiple pregnancies daily. In theory a man could cause 1000+ unwanted pregnancies in just one year.

And though their sperm gets crappier as they age, men can cause unwanted pregnancies from puberty till death. So just starting with basic biology + the calendar, it’s easy to see men are the issue here.

https://designmom.com/twitter-thread-abortion/

Old 06-30-2022, 08:55 AM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I know several young men some with kids (divorced) and some not who had no problem getting a V. OTOH I know a few young women with no kids who were denied a Tubal. That seems to be most people's experience. Of course I realize rules and laws differ by state as well its basically up to individual doctors which also differ within and among states.
The difference here is more likely due to the risks with each rather than other factors. A vasectomy is generally considered a minor procedure that is often performed in the doctor's office. A Tubal Ligation is surgery and is considered to be a higher risk because of possible complications.

I could see it much more likely for a doctor to deny a woman from getting a tubal ligation just because she doesn't want kids, than a guy being denied a vasectomy for the same reason.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The difference here is more likely due to the risks with each rather than other factors. A vasectomy is generally considered a minor procedure that is often performed in the doctor's office. A Tubal Ligation is surgery and is considered to be a higher risk because of possible complications.

I could see it much more likely for a doctor to deny a woman from getting a tubal ligation just because she doesn't want kids, than a guy being denied a vasectomy for the same reason.
I would say they're likely treated the exact same way, because they're the same thing.

A likely irreversible surgical method of birth control, on someone who will likely want it reversed in the future.

I would imagine that medical practices that will deny one gender sterilization, will deny the other gender the procedure in the same circumstances.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:59 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
You're comparing two different things, it looks like.

Stats on "unintended pregnancies" and stats on women seeking abortions.[

They're not always the same population.

Lots of women who have "unintended pregnancies", go on to happily carry the baby.
Do the math.

3.4 million unintended pregnancies per year.
5% of women with unintended pregnancies were consistently using birth control.
5% of 3.4 million is 170,000.
There are 960,000 abortions per year.

Even if every one of the 5% who were using bc consistently got an abortion (unlikely as at most, only 28% of unintended pregnancies are aborted) that would be only 17.7% of the abortions performed per year, NOT 51% as Gutmacher's selectively manipulated data reporting tries to imply.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 06-30-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-30-2022, 09:00 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
I would say they're likely treated the exact same way, because they're the same thing.

A likely irreversible surgical method of birth control, on someone who will likely want it reversed in the future.

I would imagine that medical practices that will deny one gender sterilization, will deny the other gender the procedure in the same circumstances.
Outrageous. People should be free to decide on sterilization for themselves.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Did you accidentally respond to my post?
Nope. It was your post. You assumed the response to the Dobbs decision was that women will get illegal abortions performed by unlicensed practitioners:
Quote:
What will now happen, is women will submit themselves to unlicensed practitioners, and men will be even more likely to kill their pregnant partners than they were before.

This isn't a guess. We know this.
You're still letting men control you. Think outside the abortion box and start thinking inside the pregnancy prevention box.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:10 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Outrageous. People should be free to decide on sterilization for themselves.
Legally, at the age of 18, they can.

It's just something that many doctors won't do, because they've lived through watching people wanting it reversed, and feel it's not ethical practice.

I'm sure anyone desiring sterilization can get that procedure, they just have to shop around for it.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:20 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do the math.

3.4 million unintended pregnancies per year.
5% of women with unintended pregnancies were consistently using birth control.
5% of 3.4 million is 170,000.
There are 960,000 abortions per year.

Even if every one of the 5% who were using bc consistently got an abortion (unlikely as at most, only 28% of unintended pregnancies are aborted) that would be only 17.7% of the abortions performed per year, NOT 51% as Gutmacher's selectively manipulated data reporting tries to imply.

And what percentage of that 5% was lying about it?

Old 06-30-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
And what percentage of that 5% was lying about it?
Valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies