Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2022, 09:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 2,705,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would say they're likely treated the exact same way, because they're the same thing.

A likely irreversible surgical method of birth control, on someone who will likely want it reversed in the future.

I would imagine that medical practices that will deny one gender sterilization, will deny the other gender the procedure in the same circumstances.
I really can't imagine how you think that a statement like that makes any sense.

A vasectomy and a tubal ligation may technically have the same result of sterilization. But they are NOT the same thing and they do not have the same risks. Because of the higher risks, doctors are going to be much more restrictive with women who want their tubes tied. This was the likely explanation I gave to the poster I was replying to who stated that they knew of men getting vasectomies and women being denied for tubals.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:26 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Legally, at the age of 18, they can.

It's just something that many doctors won't do, because they've lived through watching people wanting it reversed, and feel it's not ethical practice.

I'm sure anyone desiring sterilization can get that procedure, they just have to shop around for it.
I got a TUBAL LIGATION as a 25-year-old woman in Texas in 1990 by the first doctor I asked. I was single and had no children. So maybe these refusals are rare?

Last edited by AguaDulce; 06-30-2022 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-30-2022, 09:27 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Is anyone else seeing a problem with this?

I can't open the article - overstayed my free time at the WaPo - but we don't need to have a bunch of young men sterile. If the article is about young men, and not happily married 40something men with a couple kids, this is a problem.

If these are men who are thinking they should get a vasectomy and can later reverse it, it's not likely.
Men exercising control and responsibility of their own bodies. I see no problem with this at all.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
HA!

Women’s eggs are only fertile about 2 days each month. And that’s for a limited number of years.

That makes 24 days a year a women’s egg might get fertilized.

But men can cause pregnancy 365 days a year. In fact, if you’re a man who ejaculates multiple times a day, you could cause multiple pregnancies daily. In theory a man could cause 1000+ unwanted pregnancies in just one year.

And though their sperm gets crappier as they age, men can cause unwanted pregnancies from puberty till death. So just starting with basic biology + the calendar, it’s easy to see men are the issue here.

https://designmom.com/twitter-thread-abortion/
Lol. That kind of attitude is why there’s sOOO many unwanted pregnancies. Keep blaming meanie men versus both taking responsible, and the fatherless children will continue.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
With many doctor practices, she DOES have to sign off, or the doctor won't perform the surgery.

Which is what I've been saying all along.

Never did I say it was a legal issue.

Nor, do I say when a doctor refuses to offer a vasectomy to a healthy 22 year old, is the doctor legally barred from providing that service.

I'd just like to hear from your doctor friend, whether he/she would actually do that, on request of the young man.
Proof to the spouse having to sign off with many doctor practices?

Didn’t say you said it was a legal issue. You said it was needed which isn’t true.

I’d like to hear from you that all doctors would deny a 22 year old a vasectomy?

Old 06-30-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Depends on the doctor. Learn to read please.
Lol. They changed their story because they have zero proof to their original claim, and wouldn’t answer the question as to how long ago their husband had a vasectomy and had to get spouse approval. Funny how stories change when proof is asked for. Learn how to read, please.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:35 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
I don't know many doctors who will do this, on a young man who hasn't had kids yet.

I'm not telling them what to do.

I'm saying this will likely be a problem.

And, doctors WILL tell them they won't do this, in this situation.

A young man who says I don't want kids, I've never wanted kids, and I carry the _____ gene which is very likely to be passed on to my kids, that's a different thing.

I have sex and don't want the woman to get pregnant because I'm not ready yet to be a dad, a completely other situation.
I know of several young men in their 20s who got vasectomies. They know they dont want kids. They just walked into the doctors office and made the appointment. Not a single doctor talked to them about if they should do it or not.

These guys are now in their 40s with no regrets.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:35 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
I don't know many doctors who will do this, on a young man who hasn't had kids yet.

I'm not telling them what to do.

I'm saying this will likely be a problem.

And, doctors WILL tell them they won't do this, in this situation.

A young man who says I don't want kids, I've never wanted kids, and I carry the _____ gene which is very likely to be passed on to my kids, that's a different thing.

I have sex and don't want the woman to get pregnant because I'm not ready yet to be a dad, a completely other situation.
AND. I had to get my wife's signature!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:37 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_modern_philosopher View Post
Please do, and if possible send me a pm to let me know as I am very curious.

For some reason, men haven't done this procedure before marriage, so they haven't done it during the years where they are going through as many partners as possible and not want to impregnate a female. In this society, where men are not concerned with starting a family and want to seek pleasure, you would think they would be getting the procedure more often.

I am skeptical on the original post's statement, but I could see an argument for it.
Why would they be getting this procedure more often? Vasectomies for the longest time are obtained by married men when the family decides they don't want anymore children and is not only less costly but less invasive when compared to a hysterectomy for a woman.

As I stated - a reversal does not guarantee you can impregnate a woman when you decide to start a family. It's not a faucet you turn on and off.

When woman are not concerned with starting a family but still want sexual gratification there are sexual toys or you have multiple choices of contraception. It's great if a guy wants to be responsible but in the end the woman is the only one who can stop from getting pregnant.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:43 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
I also know three men in Texas who got vasectomies with no questions asked.

ottomobeale--what year was this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies