Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2022, 10:22 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Proof?
What proof do you need? It's self-evident that if both partners took a greater role in ensuring that they were properly using birth control, as opposed to taking less of a role, the rate of pregnancy (wanted or otherwise) would drop.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:24 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What proof do you need? It's self-evident that if both partners took a greater role in ensuring that they were properly using birth control, as opposed to taking less of a role, the rate of pregnancy (wanted or otherwise) would drop.
Bingo…but they only want to blame the meanie men.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:26 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Are you denying that the women have been forced to take the brunt of the responsibility since time immemorial, and that even though pharma has designed a male birth control pill, it fails to make it to market because men don't like the side-effects? And that women have been dealing with the side effects of the pill all this time? And that countless men refuse to use a condom?

Many nuances.

But the math doesn't lie.
Math certainly doesn’t lie, and let’s not forget only the woman can get pregnant… but keep blaming the man.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1115062

For example, an estimated 257 million women around the world who want to avoid pregnancy are not using safe, modern methods of contraception.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:29 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Legally, at the age of 18, they can.

It's just something that many doctors won't do, because they've lived through watching people wanting it reversed, and feel it's not ethical practice.

I'm sure anyone desiring sterilization can get that procedure, they just have to shop around for it.

Maybe even go across a state line? Horrors.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But they DIDN'T care until their sexual partners couldn't get an abortion.
what makes you think they didn't care before...vasectomies' have been done for nearly 200 years

I got mine on my 50th birthday, (my wife and I have 5 kids)... and yes I went against the Catholic Church in doing so.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:36 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Math certainly doesn’t lie, and let’s not forget only the woman can get pregnant… but keep blaming the man.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1115062

For example, an estimated 257 million women around the world who want to avoid pregnancy are not using safe, modern methods of contraception.
The report shows how easily the most fundamental rights of women and girls are pushed to the backburner in both times of peace and during war.

It calls on decision-makers and those in charge of health systems to help prevent unintended pregnancies by improving accessibility, acceptability and contraception choices - while also urging policy makers and community leaders to empower women and girls to make affirmative decisions about sex, contraception and motherhood.

If this is done, women and girls will be able to contribute fully to society with the tools, information and power to decide for themselves whether or not to have children.

“By putting the power to make this most fundamental decision squarely in the hands of women and girls, societies can ensure that motherhood is an aspiration and not an inevitability,” concluded the UNFPA chief.

Thank goodness for Planned Parenthood.

How do you feel about Planned Parenthood?

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ab...we-are/mission

Old 06-30-2022, 10:40 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Ask Mr Bingo. He asks for proof of everything.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Legally, at the age of 18, they can.

It's just something that many doctors won't do, because they've lived through watching people wanting it reversed, and feel it's not ethical practice.

I'm sure anyone desiring sterilization can get that procedure, they just have to shop around for it.
1. Vasectomies are not sterilization.

2. many young men want to get it, because they dont want kids, not now, not ever

3. many women get their tubes tied (most get cut, tied, burned) for the same reason, they don't want kids, they want a career... many years ago, I was dating this fiery redhead, we were both in the military, both were making it a career, we both really liked each other, but she didn't want kids, ever, called them hellions, we had lots of fun, but we both went our separate ways, as I left Bragg for another post, and so did she.

4. Doctors have no-problem doing it, they just make sure you understand it is not easily reversed

Old 06-30-2022, 10:56 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
The difference here is more likely due to the risks with each rather than other factors. A vasectomy is generally considered a minor procedure that is often performed in the doctor's office. A Tubal Ligation is surgery and is considered to be a higher risk because of possible complications.

I could see it much more likely for a doctor to deny a woman from getting a tubal ligation just because she doesn't want kids, than a guy being denied a vasectomy for the same reason.
Risk is not the reason given (in my day anyway). It was "honey you will change your mind". Generally, doctors would not do a tubal unless you had 2 kids already. There really isnt high risk with either. The only difference I can think of is the anesthesia and a slight risk of infection which is true with any surgery. Also doctors make a lot more money overall with pregnancies, birth, and pediatrics than a one time tubal ligation.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:59 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Good. Taking responsibility. It's a positive thing.

Is it though? Should that many men become sterile? How many of them are ages 25 - 35? What happens if they decide down the road they want kids? Then what?

Man, if only there was a latex sheath men could put over their penises before having sex. They could sell them at CVS, gas stations, Wal-Mart, and even grocery stores.

Oh wait....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies