Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes it has. And there's such a thing as hypersensitivity.
There's such a thing as blindness and entitlement. If you're a man, (which is less than half of the adult population) and so you think "man" should be interpreted to mean women too, and women should be perfectly fine with being addressed as men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 07:54 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
National Security, meet Institutionalized Sophistry.

Soldiers around the world quake at the prospect of facing such a mentally tenacious fighting force.
Yes, this is what the brains of the outfit spend their meagre skills on?

Airhomie. All fixed.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:00 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The military used to be men, with very few exceptions.

Now, it's men and women.

Why should a woman be called an Airman? I don't know a good term off the bat, but the army and marines have good terms handy that they've been using the whole time.

So. Question. Do you want to ban women from the military, hearkening back to heritage and tradition, and likely forcing the reinstatement of the draft since we won't have enough military personnel?

I don't.

And actually, apparently, "the RIGHT is finding out the hard way".
so if you want to get rid of/change the term "airman"...should we then not change the term "woman"

if "male" bothers you, then shouldn't "female" bother you too

If I see a female full bird Colonel (O-6), am I not to say "Good Morning Ma'am" , and instead say "good Morning, Sir".... or should I disrespect them and not say anything

Old 06-29-2022, 08:03 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
If they really want a gender-neutral term for Airman, how about Flyer? Sure, not everyone in the Air Force actually flies planes. But not every person in the Navy is an enlisted crewperson on a ship either, yet a Navy person is called a Sailor.

As for gender-neutral citations, that's ridiculous. A specific person should be referred to by their specific pronoun. Period.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If they really want a gender-neutral term for Airman, how about Flyer? Sure, not everyone in the Air Force actually flies planes. But not every person in the Navy is an enlisted crewperson on a ship either, yet a Navy person is called a Sailor.

As for gender-neutral citations, that's ridiculous. A specific person should be referred to by their specific pronoun. Period.
Flyer is good.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Misleading headline (or poster misunderstood). A group/committee at the Air Force is recommending. Air Force has not taken an official stand yet.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:06 PM

164 posts, read 54,014 times
Quote:
There's such a thing as blindness and entitlement. If you're a man, (which is less than half of the adult population) and so you think "man" should be interpreted to mean women too, and women should be perfectly fine with being addressed as men.
I see your point... I've been blind and entitled for too long. Maybe they should change it to "airman" and "airwoman"? No, that's not right... it still has "man" in "woman". How about "airman" and "airbirthingperson"? (I think I just made up a word!)

Old 06-29-2022, 08:20 PM

303 posts, read 128,413 times
Quote:
Aircrew? Pilot?

"Man" has never been a gender nonspecific term. People just haven't insisted on acknowledging women, as they are now insisting on that.

It's been a LONG time since I've been to a wedding with the long-held traditional send off, "I now pronounce you man and wife". Man and his appendage, basically is what that was saying. Mr. and Mrs. Harold Smith. Hello, where did the woman GO? She doesn't even have a name! She's now Mrs Harold Smith.

Now, it's, with the power vested in me by ___, I pronounce you married.

Times, they are a'changin'.

Actually, man WAS originally a gender nonspecific term meaning 'person' and that remained its primary meaning for hundreds of years. For most of its history it has had the parallel meaning of people in general AND specifically male people. It is only very recently that the general non-gender specific meaning has fallen away.

I actually agree with your main point here - 'man' in modern usage refers to males, so it makes sense to use a more gender neutral term for a profession in which there are both men and women - just pointing out it is not so straightforward with the history of the word 'man'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_(word)

Old 06-29-2022, 09:11 PM

6,388 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The headline of the cited Fox News article indicates that it's "suggested", but the first line of the story makes it seem like an order. Not clear which it is, but basically, the Air Force wants to use "they" instead of he/him or she/her in citations. Going a little too far in my opinion.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/air-force...ward-citations
If the Military thinks one of their biggest issues is the pronouns one uses in citations, we are in deep cow droppings.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:45 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Why should a woman be called an Airman?
Because that's the military service she joined. One where Airman denotes everyone.

When I was in the Air Force, the go to response for anyone complaining was "no one forced you to join." And they were exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies